• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glen mgrath, the least talented, all time great

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
adharcric said:
No offense and you might be right, but the guy is not an obvious troll IMO. It's also a little unfair to judge him merely based on his "typing skills".
Give him some respect for posting his views and then show him that his views are utter crap and rubbish. :)

Typing skills go a long, long, long way when trying to form a point on the internet.

It's hard to take someone as serious as others if they have a valid point yet communicate it through text message style of spelling/typing.

Though could've been overboard on "obvious troll." He's somewhat borderline at the moment.

Josh

International Regular
Are you kidding me; no talent?! Watch him bowl a bit closer next time and analyse his ability to set batsmen up, much like Warne, and much the reason they are so good in tandem.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF it's not necessarily a pop at McGrath, saying he's the least talented all-time great. One's only responsible for how one plays the hand one's dealt, not the cards contained within. My reading is that mohammad16 is crediting The Great Man with succeeding despite others having more natural physical talent.

I don't agree, BTW, but I don't read it as an abvious attempt to troll anyway.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't agree with Mohammad16, but I don't think he's being a troll, he actually has a valid point in their somewhere. McGrath obviously is very talented, he is blessed with physical and mental attributes that equip him for success. I think the point being made is that he has capitalised upon those "gifts" to the maximum extent possible, and thus has achieved a great level of performance. There are other bowlers who are probably MORE innately talented, or equiped to be a success, but who have wasted those talents through a lack of discipline, an unwillingness to learn, laziness, whatever - I think that's his point.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
mohammad16 said:
and accuracy is more practice then natural talent
Come to my cricket coaching school and with coaching and practice I can make you bowl as accurately as McGrath and Pollock and give you the batting technique of the flairless Dravid and Kallis. :ph34r:

Seriously, what a <counts to 10> simplistic post the original is. Accuracy is a talent. Sure it can be worked on but the initial skill must be there. Dont tell me Wasim never practiced. Also McGrath may not be Brett Lee but he bowls at decent pace and is intelligent enough to do the most important thing in cricket, create doubt and move the ball half a bats width.

Its been said before but it is true, McGrath is one of the few bowlers ever that gives his captain 2 bowlers in 1.

Firstly he is a fine strike bowler moving the ball both ways with bounce and getting wickets caught behind
and
Secondly he is virtually impossible to score off with laser like accuracy, creating doubt with the batsman over whether to come forward or not and over where their off-stump is. He strangles guys out and provides immaculate support to the guy at the other end.

This why he is the best. He gives the captain so many options and can play a number of roles.

Oh to be so lacking in talent. Like Jack (probably) I know a number of guys that have faced McGrath and they cant explain how hard it is. My favourite story is from a guy I know well who opened the batting in a FC game. He got out 5th ball of the game without ever making contact with the ball and of the 4 balls he missed he was rewarded with 3 medals on his chest. McGraths bounce and length makes it so difficult to decide how to play.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Come to my cricket coaching school and with coaching and practice I can make you bowl as accurately as McGrath and Pollock and give you the batting technique of the flairless Dravid and Kallis. :ph34r:

Seriously, what a <counts to 10> simplistic post the original is. Accuracy is a talent. Sure it can be worked on but the initial skill must be there. Dont tell me Wasim never practiced. Also McGrath may not be Brett Lee but he bowls at decent pace and is intelligent enough to do the most important thing in cricket, create doubt and move the ball half a bats width.

Its been said before but it is true, McGrath is one of the few bowlers ever that gives his captain 2 bowlers in 1.

Firstly he is a fine strike bowler moving the ball both ways with bounce and getting wickets caught behind
and
Secondly he is virtually impossible to score off with laser like accuracy, creating doubt with the batsman over whether to come forward or not and over where their off-stump is. He strangles guys out and provides immaculate support to the guy at the other end.

This why he is the best. He gives the captain so many options and can play a number of roles.

Oh to be so lacking in talent. Like Jack (probably) I know a number of guys that have faced McGrath and they cant explain how hard it is. My favourite story is from a guy I know well who opened the batting in a FC game. He got out 5th ball of the game without ever making contact with the ball and of the 4 balls he missed he was rewarded with 3 medals on his chest. McGraths bounce and length makes it so difficult to decide how to play.
Amen brother, preach on!

mohammad16

U19 Captain
firstly i wont stop typing the way i do because that doenst proove anything im saying is wrong. thats like saying u wouldnt listen to an illiterate man talk just because he is illiterate and anything he says cannot possibly carry weight.
secondly, i havent been proven wrong, what i put forth in this thread may have been prooved wrong because i didnt get my message across in the right way, i still stick by my point of view but really i dont care bout being prooved right or wrong

anyways, i didnt put my message across well, im not saying mgrath is not talented, overall he is very talented and deserving
hes the greatest bowler in the world

all im trying to say is that in terms of his physical talents, he is not out of this world compared to other great fast bowlers in the history of the game.
u look at athletes like michael jordan, maradona, pele, thier natural physical talents jus jumped out at u

hes not a freak of nature like most other greats in other sports are
we have to look at the fact that, mgrath is the best, best bowler in the world today and where ever u look in other sports, the best players are normally freaks of nature athletic wise
geof boycott is another example of someone who was not in the same class as mgrath but certainly one of the finest palyers, u can say the same thing about him, he didnt jump out at u
im just saying
if someone new starts watching cricket, he would expect the best player to provide more in lines of spectacular like say viv richards or wasim akram
there are alot of pacemen in world cricket, who are capable of bowling with alot more accuracy then they currenlty do... im not saying they can be as accurate as mgrath, because mgrath i do agree has natual help in being as accurate as he is
but really, alot of other international bowlers can do with being alot more accurate, and they are capable, its simply the fact that thier mental approach isnt as strong as cricket greats, and thats the msot important thing.
i have nothing againts mgrath but admiration, because he has utilized what ever he had to the best of his ablity, hes a perfect example
most bowlers u can say there is so much room for improvement, but mgrath has not simply jsu giving his best effort, he has always seemed to have made the right choices which is a huge reason why is he great

i still stick to my point, that he is the least naturally talented bowler atleast out of the all time great bowlers in cricket history interms of natural physical talent, and there is no bout about that
and that is only more of a reason to have admiration for this man

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Goughy said:

and

Yeah, dead right there.

I often hear people say McGrath is just medium pace and isn't anything special - yet he continues to hurry batsmen and is rarely successfully hooked. Were he just that slow, he'd be cannon fodder now at his age.

Look how some, if not all of the great players of his era struggle against him - not all the time, coz guys like Lara & Tendy will always have their days - and have them more often than most, but hey tstill struggle from time to time. He targets them too, and says he will - and more often than not gets them out as promised.

All this on (mostly) flat decks and in an era where bats are better, boundaries shorter and you have to bowl 90 overs in a day.

He isn't the quickest (though when young he was quick enough), but he gets the best players out at and average and strike rate to die for, on all surfaces, in all conditions, in both innings.

I'm coming around to SS's view here - I think he's the greatest fast bowler ever, and I know he's the best I've seen. Marshall the other contender for mine. Others are more explosive, others can make the ball talk more than him, but no one has been as consistent for as long. Akram was a better entertainer, Donald was much quicker, as is Lee and Akthar, Waqar swung it more, as did Lillee and Trueman, but those guys have not taken the wickets McGrath has or gone on for as long. Further, most of those blokes have had a region or country they haven't performed well in or in Trueman's case, didn't play against- not McGrath.

He keeps on keeping on - except when he bruises his heel. Must have got sore from having it on the Poms' throats in Brisbane.

shortpitched713

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
all im trying to say is that in terms of his physical talents, he is not out of this world compared to other great fast bowlers in the history of the game.
u look at athletes like michael jordan, maradona, pele, thier natural physical talents jus jumped out at u

hes not a freak of nature like most other greats in other sports are
we have to look at the fact that, mgrath is the best, best bowler in the world today and where ever u look in other sports, the best players are normally freaks of nature athletic wise
Roger Federer is not exactly a guy who jumps out at you if you saw him on the street.

adharcric

International Coach
mohammad16 said:
tendulkar sure is, and i didnt see bradman play, and when i say someone who stoods out.
How exactly does Tendulkar stoods out and McGrath doesn't stoods out?