• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of The Spinners

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well i really do enjoy these battles, so i throught i make one for spinners. I got a bit of spare time over the next month or so, so it will give me something to do.

I decided to not include Warne and Murali as we all know they will make the final and the thread will probably turn into frame debate. Also when we had the likes of Bradman and Sobers in the other thread, they knocked out a lot of quality guys in the first couple rounds. Also i think it would be a bit more interesting to see who you guys all think is the 3rd best.

Anyway here is a list of 32, i came up with, hopefully we can add another 16 to it.

EDIT: List of 50 now

Abdul Qadir
Alf Valentine
Anil Kumble
Ashley Mallett
Aubrey Faulkner
Bapu Nadkarni
Bert Vogler
Bhagwat Chandrasekhar
Bill O'Reilly
Bishan Bedi
Bob Peel
Bruce Yardley
Clarrie Grimmett
Colin Blythe
Daniel Vettori
Danish Kaneria
David Allen
Derek Underwood
Dilip Doshi
Erapalli Prasanna
Fred Titmus
Harbhajan Singh
Hedley Verity
Hugh Tayfield
Hugh Trumble
Intikhab Alam
Iqbal Qasim
Jim Laker
John Emburey
Johnny Briggs
Johnny Wardle
Lance Gibbs
Lindsay Kline
Mohammad Rafique
Mushtaq Ahmed
Mushtaq Mohammad
Paul Adams
Paul Strang
Phil Edmounds
Ray Illingworth
Reggie Schwarz
Richie Benaud
Saqlain Mushtaq
Somachandra De Silva
Sonny Ramadhin
Stuart MacGill
Subhash Gupte
Tony Lock
Vinoo Mankad
Wilfred Rhodes

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Where's Nicky Boje?

Anyway it looks like a good list, I can't remember many spinners from back in the olden days but you seem to have quite few modern ones. Guys like Danish Kaneria and Harbhajan Singh probably don't deserve to be there.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Richie Benaud
Johnny Briggs
Bobby Peel (maybe)
Subhash Gupte
Richie was meant to be there.

Briggs and Peel are likely to be added, but i rather olden day spinners to have taken 100 plus wickets. I think one maybe both just have.

Gupte not sure his record doesn't look great, i guess it depends on the generally view.

Perm

I think it was Gary Sobers who said Gupte was the best spinner he has ever seen.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think Warne and Murali should be there, personally. They were in there in the battle of the cricketers and the bowling spells one and it worked out fine, and there are people here who rate other bowlers like Bill O'Reilly and so on ahead of them. It's a different case from Bradman and Sobers.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Here are a few more guys to add to a shortlist to be added:

Bob Peel
Colin Blythe
David Allen
Fred Titmus
Johnny Briggs
Johnny Wardle
Mohammad Rafique
Paul Strang
Phil Edmounds
Reggie Schwarz
Richie Benaud
Somachandra De Silva
Subhash Gupte
Tony Lock

I think Gupte, Benaud, Lock and Briggs should he added. The rest i'm not 100% sure about.

adharcric

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think Warne and Murali should be there, personally. They were in there in the battle of the cricketers and the bowling spells one and it worked out fine, and there are people here who rate other bowlers like Bill O'Reilly and so on ahead of them. It's a different case from Bradman and Sobers.
Agreed. You can just ask people not to excessively beat controversial issues (chucking, etc) to death like I did in the Ranking the Bowlers thread.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Maybe but i think you'll find that are a small percentage that would rate other cricketers, i.e Warne and Murali infront for Sobers like myself. But majority would rate Warne and Murali as No 1 & 2 and daylight 3rd. I don't think they are that much different cases IMO. But the main reason to take them out is we don't get a pointless debate about who is better, ruining the thread. But if a lot of people want them added i will.

adharcric

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Here are a few more guys to add to a shortlist to be added:

Bob Peel
Colin Blythe
David Allen
Fred Titmus
Johnny Briggs
Johnny Wardle
Mohammad Rafique
Paul Strang
Phil Edmounds
Reggie Schwarz
Richie Benaud
Somachandra De Silva
Subhash Gupte
Tony Lock

I think Gupte, Benaud, Lock and Briggs should he added. The rest i'm not 100% sure about.
If you're going to add 16 and have a list of 48, then you should add Peel and Blythe definitely. Maybe Wardle as well.
If you want to do 32, those two should still make it ahead of guys like Kaneria, Vettori, Adams and Mallett IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It would be hilarious if Warne and Murali meet in the first round. Chaminda, are you sure you want to run this, cause I like running these types of battles.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah, I personally don't like the idea of having Murali and Warne in it, because chances are they'll meet before the final and Murali will lose. :(

Perm

Like I said in another thread, you can't make seedings because that avoids the purpose of doing this.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I agree with some people - Warne and Murali should be left out. Even with the best intentions, it's hard to see the same old arguments wouldn't come up again.