• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of The Spinners

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'll add Tim May and Venkatapathy Raju. Iverson and Alfred Freeman hasn't played enough game. I would take someone under 100 wickets if, they played atleast 10 test. 5 is way too short

When I get over my hang over i'll start looking at who to drop to make 48.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Lance Klusener, best spinner South Africa never had. Came the end of his career the off cutters became fully fledged off breaks, remember he turned the ball more than Murali at Galle, 2004. Awesome cricketer.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Ok his the Top 46:

Abdul Qadir
Alf Valentine
Anil Kumble
Ashley Mallett
Aubrey Faulkner
Bapu Nadkarni
Bert Vogler
Bert Ironmonger
Bhagwat Chandrasekhar
Bill O'Reilly
Bishan Bedi
Bob Peel
Bruce Yardley
Clarrie Grimmett
Colin Blythe
Daniel Vettori
Danish Kaneria
David Allen
Derek Underwood
Dilip Doshi
Erapalli Prasanna
Fred Titmus
Harbhajan Singh
Hedley Verity
Hugh Tayfield
Hugh Trumble
Intikhab Alam
Iqbal Qasim
Jim Laker
Johnny Briggs
Johnny Wardle
Lance Gibbs
Lindsay Kline
Mushtaq Ahmed
Mushtaq Mohammad
Ray Illingworth
Reggie Schwarz
Richie Benaud
Saqlain Mushtaq
Sonny Ramadhin
Stuart MacGill
Subhash Gupte
Somachandra De Silva
Tony Lock
Vinoo Mankad
Wilfred Rhodes

I'll let you guys choice the last two out of these guys:

Venkatapathy Raju
Mohammad Rafique
Paul Adams
Paul Strang
John Emburey
Phil Edmounds
Tim May

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Mohammad Rafique, who put him forward? Its called battle of the spinners, the guys doesn't spin the ball! Might as well have Chris Gayle there or Lance Klusener at least he has spun the ball...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Mohammad Rafique, who put him forward? Its called battle of the spinners, the guys doesn't spin the ball! Might as well have Chris Gayle there or Lance Klusener at least he has spun the ball...
I nominated him beacause of the impact his had to Bangleadesh cricket. There is more to spin bowling then how much you spin the ball.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I had an idea guys maybe i'll just have a playoff for the last spot. Or should i wait 24 hours for more nominations?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
I nominated him beacause of the impact his had to Bangleadesh cricket. There is more to spin bowling then how much you spin the ball.
For sure but its called battle of spinners...

Battle of the slow bowlers would be more in tune with what Mohammad Rafique does with the ball, bowl it on a good length, nice and slow.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Ok i want to get this started so i think i will have a official vote for the last spot. These guys are fighting for 48th spot. Sorry to guys that wanted to nominate someone else, but i think we pretty much got a very good list and i don't think we missed out anyone that might win it. Also it should be noted that i officially took Warne and Murali out, as there wasn't enough people asking for their inclusion.

Playoff

Mohammad Rafique (BAN): 26 Tests, 87 wkts @ 36.59, 7 5-fers, 83.13 SR, 2.64 ER

Paul Adams (RSA): 45 Tests, 134 wkts @ 32.87, 4 5-fers, 1 10-fer, 66.04 SR, 2.98 ER

Paul Strang (ZIM): 24 Tests, 70 wkts @ 36.02, 4 5-fers, 1 10-fer, 81.71 SR, 2.64 ER

Phil Edmonds (ENG): 51 Tests, 125 wkts @ 34,18, 2 5-fers, 96.22 SR, 2.13 ER

Tim May (AUS): 24 Tests, 75 wts @ 34.74, 3 5-fers, 87.69 SR, 2.37 ER

Somachandra De Silva (SRL): 12 Tests, 37 wkts @ 36.40, 1 5-fer, 81.91 SR, 2.66 ER

Jack Iverson (AUS): 5 Tests, 21 wkts @ 15.23, 1 5-fer, 52.76 SR, 1.73 ER

I took out Emburey an average of 38 is just poo, i might as well have put in Boje and Giles. Also Raju made the main draw and i put De Silva in the Playoff and i let you make the decision on Iverson.

I'll put pictures in the round one battles, i just didn't want to stuff up this page with too many pics.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Go with Adams. Strange that a man who isn't yet 30 (which is no age at all for a spinner) is seemingly permanently out of the international game. We don't get the chance to see any SA domestic stuff over here, but various Saffie commentators have remarked during games that Sky has covered that he's lost it completely.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mohammad Rafique. He has had a very big impact on Bangladesh cricket, plus he can swing a bat pretty well.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Rafique for me too. Pretty decent bowler, and obviously the best from his nation.

Tim May and Iverson obviously unlucky, but Iverson didn't play enough. May was a good bowler, but Rafique gets it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Iverson.

A diamond in the rough compared to the rest in this playoff battle.

Last edited: