• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly in line for a recall

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
India's stuttering form in the one-day arena may have an unlikely beneficiary: Sourav Ganguly is in line for a recall to the Test side, nine months after he was jettisoned followed the resounding 341-run defeat at Karachi.

Ganguly, Gautam Gambhir and VRV Singh are likely to be named in the squad for the Tests when the selectors meet on Thursday and, with Rahul Dravid not certain to play in the opening Test, Ganguly could join VVS Laxman and Sachin Tendulkar in the middle order for what is likely to be a tremendous test of India's batting resources.

Wealth of experience is being considered an asset after Suresh Raina, Mohammad Kaif and Dinesh Mongia failed to make the transition on the bouncier pitches in South Africa. Ganguly has one Duleep Trophy century to his name this season, and the team's think-tank and the national selectors also reason that his will to succeed after all the travails of the past 18 months will inspire him to rediscover the sort of form that he last showed on the arduous tour of Australia three years ago.

The other contender for a middle-order berth is S Badrinath , the Tamil Nadu middle-order batsman and captain. Badri scored 636 runs from 7 matches in the last Ranji season, averaging a shade under 80, including a highest of 206 not out, and was only 6 short of Amol Muzumdar, the top scorer, who had played one match more. Badri is believed to have the ideal temperament, being a batsman who can graft and spend long hours at the crease while still having a full repertoire of strokes, as he showed in this season's first Ranji match, scoring 136 in more than 7 hours against Delhi .

Raina and Mongia will almost certainly head back, and Gambhir, who has piled on the runs in domestic cricket, will tussle with Wasim Jaffer for the second opener's position. VRV Singh is very much the wild card, with India seeking a tall and pacy quick-bowling option on surfaces where the heavy ball pitched just short of a length can do so much damage.

Irfan Pathan could be the other player to be handed a ticket home after the one-day series. Since embarking on the West Indies tour in May, Pathan's displays have been fitful at best and, with Zaheer Khan offering a revitalised pace-bowling option, Pathan may be asked to run the domestic treadmill in preparation for one-day series against West Indies and Sri Lanka prior to the World Cup.

Munaf Patel is unlikely to play before the warm-up match in Potchefstroom and, given Harbhajan Singh's inconsistency away from home, India could line up for the first Test with a bowling line-up that reads Munaf, Sreesanth, Zaheer and Anil Kumble. Ganguly's medium pace fetched him five wickets in a recent Ranji Trophy game at Mohali, and might well provide the fifth bowling option.

When Ganguly and Laxman were originally eased out, amid India's successes in the one-day arena, the expectation was that the likes of Raina would make the transition to the highest stage. But with the team struggling in recent months, the runs have dried up and a spell in domestic cricket is thought to be the best way in which to stitch back together the fabric of his game.

As Australia, and especially individuals like Justin Langer and Glenn McGrath, have shown recently, there's always a place for experience. And if Ganguly and Laxman can summon up some of the quality that made them marquee players, all might not yet be lost. A decade ago one TV pundit famously wrote off Alex Ferguson's Manchester United side by saying: "You can't win anything with kids". That golden generation proved him wrong, but in India's case, that prophecy appears to have come sadly true. Depending on the old guard is a short-term, band-aid solution, but for a team that has become a stranger to success in recent months, experience can only be a virtue.
Just what we need. Divisions in the locker room created by a man hardly known to be an expert against bounce.:@

Not to mention, adding a 34 year old is hardly a solution to the batting problem. And someone needs to think about Gagandeep Singh.

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
Did we need a thread for this?

Anyway, if Gambhir is selectd for Tests, than I'm happy. But it just proves that the Indian selectors are idiots.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Dravid said:
Did we need a thread for this?

Anyway, if Gambhir is selectd for Tests, than I'm happy. But it just proves that the Indian selectors are idiots.

i just gave a link in the Ind v Sa thread! Ah well.......!

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
this just in, agarkar awarded super hero status by the Justice League. The panel members (superman, batman, green lantern among others) voted ananomously.

shortpitched713

International Captain
jack_sparrow said:
this just in, agarkar awarded super hero status by the Justice League. The panel members (superman, batman, green lantern among others) voted ananomously.
Still on that bender I see. 8-)

Anyway, selecting Ganguly for Tests would be a pretty s*** move in my opinion. Thats the plae where Ganguly would be pretty much useless for the long term. Could see him being picked for ODIs and wouldn't necessarily be against it as he could still be useful with his experience for the World Cup.

Last edited:

mohammad16

U19 Captain
how is ganguly gonna help thier team, its beyond me, the problem with the indian batsmen on s african pitches is the bounce
and surely ganguly isnt the best answer to boucning wickets!!

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I know i will probably be only one who will support this decison, but i love it.

Ganguly = Legend (My fav player)

Slow Love™

International Captain
So it's happened - he's back in, and so is Laxman, as vice-captain (not to imply that Gangs has the captaincy).

I must admit that even though what Gangs and his backers did during that fracas with Chappell was pretty disgraceful, I am actually hoping he does well on return. The team's in an absolute mess, and IMO, really lacks leadership. Things will certainly be frosty between him and the coach though, I'm assuming...

Hell, this news might even bring Sanz back. Where are you, mate? :)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm also hoping that Sourav Ganguly does well, for the sake of Indian cricket which is in a bit of a mess at the moment. They aren't sure whether to select young guys or old guys and they keep changing their mind regarding selections.

Dravid

International Captain
Slow Love™ said:
So it's happened - he's back in, and so is Laxman, as vice-captain (not to imply that Gangs has the captaincy).

I must admit that even though what Gangs and his backers did during that fracas with Chappell was pretty disgraceful, I am actually hoping he does well on return. The team's in an absolute mess, and IMO, really lacks leadership. Things will certainly be frosty between him and the coach though, I'm assuming...

Hell, this news might even bring Sanz back. Where are you, mate? :)
He's away for six weeks.