• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pinnacle of this Aussie team

Slifer

International Captain
archie mac said:
Not sure if it quite makes the time frame, but I thought the Aussies dominance started with the defeating of the Windies in the Caribbean. It signified the changing of the guard
No no they became the best team after 1995 and the most consistent but they were by no means dominant. Their dominance imo began around 1999-2000 when they began those sequences of white washes.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Well, i think the aussie side that played England last time we toured was pretty invincible, though i was only just starting to watch cricket then.

I would guess their peak would be when they had

1.Langer
2.Hayden
3.Ponting
4.Martyn
5.Steve Waugh
6.Darren Lehman
7.GIlchrist
8.Warne
9.Gillespie
10.McGrath
11.Kasprovich/Lee

Though i'm not sure they have ever played with exactly that side, that's about as close to the perfect side as i've seen.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. MJ Slater
  2. ML Hayden
  3. JL Langer
  4. ME Waugh
  5. *SR Waugh
  6. RT Ponting
  7. +AC Gilchrist
  8. SK Warne
  9. MS Kasprowicz
  10. JN Gillespie
  11. GD McGrath

Thats the side that lost the second test in India. Thats a pretty good side too TBH.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
Well, i think the aussie side that played England last time we toured was pretty invincible, though i was only just starting to watch cricket then.

I would guess their peak would be when they had

1.Langer
2.Hayden
3.Ponting
4.Martyn
5.Steve Waugh
6.Darren Lehman
7.GIlchrist
8.Warne
9.Gillespie
10.McGrath
11.Kasprovich/Lee

Though i'm not sure they have ever played with exactly that side, that's about as close to the perfect side as i've seen.
Yeah, that lineup played the WACA test in the 02/03 Ashes. The Mark Waugh vs Lehmann debate is a tricky one, because there's no doubt in my mind that Lehmann was a better batsman in the longer form of the game, at least potentially, but he had a fairly tough time in all his early entries into test cricket for one reason or another, and during his fairly brief period at the top of his game in test cricket, Steve Waugh had already retired.

Mark was never a great test batsman, but he was a good one and played over 100 fairly successful tests. I think I'd have to go with that same team, but with Mark Waugh instead of Lehmann and Martyn at 6, as Australia had around 2001/02.