Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This could sound controversial but...

This could sound controversial but...

With Australia's team getting older, and whilst they are performing admiraly and nor could you fault them for it, after the Ashes and there isn't a few retirements (at this stage it is buckley's and none), do you think that the Australian selectors might to have make a tough call and face load of critism from the media, here, your average punter at work, at the bar, or on the street (ie Steve Waugh from the ODI team), look to end the careers of some of the older player's and bring in some younger players so they don't at one point all have a mass exodus of players and be found wanting (like what happened to the West Indies and Australia when Lillee, Marsh and Greg Chappell all quit at once) against other teams?

Now before I'm burned at the stake, I'm not suggesting McGrath, Warne, Ponting or Gilchrist (although you never know if he becomes Flintoff''s prag [more or less a b***h] again this summer) be given the axe nor I'm saying it should happen in one big foul swoop, but a gradial thing. Like what they did to the Waugh's etc. Australia's cuurent crop of player's can't last forever and it would be a good time to eventually to test out their depth and look to rebuild.

I'm thinking it could end up happening to Martyn or one of the openers first.

Bear in mind I'm not calling that it should happen, but I'm trying to think outside the box and see other people's opinion/s.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    With Australia's team getting older, and whilst they are performing admiraly and nor could you fault them for it, after the Ashes and there isn't a few retirements (at this stage it is buckley's and none), do you think that the Australian selectors might to have make a tough call and face load of critism from the media, here, your average punter at work, at the bar, or on the street (ie Steve Waugh from the ODI team), look to end the careers of some of the older player's and bring in some younger players so they don't at one point all have a mass exodus of players and be found wanting (like what happened to the West Indies and Australia when Lillee, Marsh and Greg Chappell all quit at once) against other teams?

Now before I'm burned at the stake, I'm not suggesting McGrath, Warne, Ponting or Gilchrist (although you never know if he becomes Flintoff''s prag [more or less a b***h] again this summer) be given the axe nor I'm saying it should happen in one big foul swoop, but a gradial thing. Like what they did to the Waugh's etc. Australia's cuurent crop of player's can't last forever and it would be a good time to eventually to test out their depth and look to rebuild.

I'm thinking it could end up happening to Martyn or one of the openers first.

Bear in mind I'm not calling that it should happen, but I'm trying to think outside the box and see other people's opinion/s.

That's controversial!
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Craigos should be burnt at the stake IMO.
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering Phil 'The Prince' Hughes - we will always love you

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    [more or less a b***h]
    There's a filter for a reason, thanks. Bitch is not in it though.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Please use the street sanctioned alternative beaatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Yeh, I agree that Martyn would probably be the first to go if that were to happen, but at the rate which the current team is succeeding; I really can't see it happening.

What's amazing about Australia is if all the senior players to be dropped, or retire today, the young players would still own the rest of the world I think.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    If they are performing, you'd be absolutely insane to drop them.

You're the best team in the world, and that by a huge long shot....BUT THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH DAMN IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Tye team is successful! Why drop any players? But i could see one of the openers getting the axe first!

Quote Originally Posted by Dravid
    What's amazing about Australia is if all the senior players to be dropped, or retire today, the young players would still own the rest of the world I think.
    Disagree. The gap would be significantly smaller.

Considering that neither Warne nor MacGill are young, the next candidate for the spin position would be a damn sight worse than the incumbent. Also Ponting is so far superior to Clarke as a batsman, it's hardly funny. Hussey is also a massive superior player to young Australia. Mitchell Johnson and Shaun Tait are largely unproven and Stuart Clark is not young.

England could retain the Ashes against young Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    England could retain the Ashes against young Australia.
    Nah, they have Harmison.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    If they are performing, you'd be absolutely insane to drop them.

You're the best team in the world, and that by a huge long shot....BUT THATS NOT GOOD ENOUGH DAMN IT!
    The West Indies were the best team in the world. Then all the great players retired within a short span of time. Haven't come close to recovering yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    The West Indies were the best team in the world. Then all the great players retired within a short span of time. Haven't come close to recovering yet.
    But if the talent wasn't there to replace them when they retired, was it really there two years earlier?

Nah, they have Harmison.
    Tongue in cheek aside, Harmison is more proven at international level than Johnson and Tait. It's not fair to say that either Johnson or Tait is a better Test bowler than Harmison in that light.

But if the talent wasn't there to replace them when they retired, was it really there two years earlier?
    You're saying that there's a lack of talent in the West Indies? Are you serious? If West Indies cricket has anything, it's talent. It's the reason there have been moderately successful players despite a terrible domestic system. The problem is that the talent wasn't allowed to develop.

These players were thrust into international cricket and forced to carry the team when they really weren't anywhere near ready to do so. Dillon, for example, may have been so much better had he been privileged with the opportunity to share the new ball with Walsh or Ambrose more often.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information