• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which teams would be adversely effected by Cond/Pitches in SA ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by CricketGuru
I believe that the countries with the biggest variety in the pace attack will have the most advantage in SA.

Pakistan has the most variety in their pace attack as Waqar, Wasim, Shoaib and Razzak are kind of bowlers who can use the SA pitches to their advantage very well.
Variety in those 4, where? How is that more variety than India?

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Variety in the sense that they all have different paces and different styles and yet the can easily beat any batsman, they can swing the ball on will that the indian bowlers cant really do.

There is no comparison of Pakistani bowlers with the Indian ones.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by CricketGuru
Variety in the sense that they all have different paces and different styles and yet the can easily beat any batsman, they can swing the ball on will that the indian bowlers cant really do.

There is no comparison of Pakistani bowlers with the Indian ones.
I agree. In any case, when they have pace bowlers of that class bowling on pace friendly wickets, they don't need that much of variety.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The last time India was in SA in 2001, India's batting in the ODIs was quite good except in the final of that tri-nation tournament.The bowling was poor except for that one match where they beat SA comprehensively.

And that was a lineup without the extra batsman and the batting order changes that have happened lately.

So I think if India run into problems in SA, it would have more to do with the bowling then its batting... because Bhajji and Kumble and the part timers like Sehwag and others won't be that helpful and it will come down to the pacers to do the job right.

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
[/quote]

Variety in those 4, where? How is that more variety than India? [/quote]

If variety is everything that counts then Aussie gotta be the worst team because they play with 4 pacers and a leggie!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which is different to Pakistan's 4 pacers and an offie how exactly?

Especially when you consider one of the "pacers" is generally little more than a medium bowler, and McGrath is hardly lightening.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I have a feeling though that this Indian team will adjust quickly and well to the changed conditions compared to previous teams.
The indian batting should adjust pretty quickly, its a power house and it ought to fire in SA, its the bowlers where they will struggle. Its hard enough to bowl well in adverse conditions, but its even more important to take advantage of favourable conditions, something which the Indian bowlers have struggled with.

What are you intimating ?

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
Originally posted by marc71178

Especially when you consider one of the "pacers" is generally little more than a medium bowler, and McGrath is hardly lightening.
Pak plays with 4 pacers, an offspinner and a very usefull leggie in Afridi, thats how they are different.
ALSO, pace is not everything, Waseem Akram may be just a medium pace bowler BUT is 20 times better onedayer bowler than the fastest bowler LEE!!!

basil

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Maybe Pakistan should drop Akhter and bring in Mushtaq ahmed, drop Razzak and bring back left arm spinner Mohd Hussain, considering this will be the attack with most variety(1 lft arm and one rt arm pacer, a leggie,an offie and a lft armer spinner), they will surely win the cup:rolleyes:

BANGered

Cricket Spectator
Bowling attack with most variety!

Have a look at this.

Lft arm fast:Zaheer
Lft arm medium:Nehra
RT arm Fast : Ajit Agarkar
RT arm medium:Srinath
Off Spinner :Harbhajan
Leggie: Kumble
Lft Arm spinner:Kartik.

This must be a unique attack, all kind of bowlers in one team, can u imagine that?

wahindiawah

Banned
I agree with sane elements who emphasize on the variety of attack.Among all the onedayer teams, only India have the most variety, a class leggie and one of the best off spinner in the game togeather with a pair of left arm pacer.Others, for example SA & WI are all about pacers, Aus and Pak also goes for pacers in their line up.Lanka is a one man attack team while England,Zimb and Bang aren't worth talking about.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by SRTgrSDB

Pak plays with 4 pacers, an offspinner and a very usefull leggie in Afridi, thats how they are different.
ALSO, pace is not everything, Waseem Akram may be just a medium pace bowler BUT is 20 times better onedayer bowler than the fastest bowler LEE!!!
I was talking about the Aussie attack then, not the Pakistani.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by BANGered

Have a look at this.

This must be a unique attack, all kind of bowlers in one team, can u imagine that?
Yeah, and 4 batsmen - Dravid could keep, then you have Sehwag Ganguly and Sachin as back-up bowling if the front line 7 go wrong!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain

Have a look at this.

This is from a thread of days gone by.....

And I will reply as it was then....I am having trouble stretching my imagination so much ;)

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I agree with sane elements who emphasize on the variety of attack.Among all the onedayer teams, only India have the most variety, a class leggie and one of the best off spinner in the game togeather with a pair of left arm pacer.Others, for example SA & WI are all about pacers, Aus and Pak also goes for pacers in their line up.Lanka is a one man attack team while England,Zimb and Bang aren't worth talking about.
West Indies proved in the 70's that if you have a pace attack potent enough to skittle batting line ups at will, there is not even a remote need of any other species of bowler in the team. Variety of attack is fine if you are talking about not so deadly duo of pace bowlers, you then have to fall back on the slower bowlers, it is a necessity for India a comprmise. I am sure if they could muster three good pace bowlers right now, it would be the same configuration 4-1 for them as well.

Variety cannot be equated with potency.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This is from a thread of days gone by.....

And I will reply as it was then....I am having trouble stretching my imagination so much ;)
It is? the bloke only registered today!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
West Indies proved in the 70's that if you have a pace attack potent enough to skittle batting line ups at will, there is not even a remote need of any other species of bowler in the team.
Those were Test Matches though, this is a completely different beast.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies proved in the 70's that if you have a pace attack potent enough to skittle batting line ups at will, there is not even a remote need of any other species of bowler in the team.
Those were Test Matches though, this is a completely different beast.
Mate, they were awesome in one dayers too. 2 world cups and a runner-up finish stands testimony to that.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
It is? the bloke only registered today!
naaah only said it was from a past thread..........

oh and yes as for the Windies attack not being effective in one dayers, dont even go there ;)