Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ICCs grab for cash-The death of the 5 Test Series?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Scmods's Avatar

ICCs grab for cash-The death of the 5 Test Series?

Cricket has changed. It's no longer about the game, it's about making the ICC money. Unfortunately, due to this there are no longer regular 5 test series. The last two I can remember, 2005 Ashes and England in South Africa a couple of years back were MAGNIFICENT series. Rivalries were built up, heroes and villains made. THIS is what cricket is about, not 3 tests and 7 ODIs. It's a shame the game has gone down this route, it's a shadow of it's former self.

A tour used to be a big deal. There would be numerous tour games played to help players adjust to conditions, followed by a series. Now it's about getting teams in and out as fast as possible to maximize profits. It's fact that Test are a far more important and prestigious form of the game, so why is it there are constant meaningless ODI series while Test series are being rarer and rarer? The ICC is destroying the game, it is sad to see.
    Ashes to Ashes
    Dust to Dust
    If Pidge doesn't get you
    Warney must

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Explain what this means: "Making the ICC money." ICC is a non profit organization, any money it makes goes back out to the individual boards (all 90+ of them) or paying the umpires, etc.

And by "ICC destroying the game", you mean "The test nation countries in the ICC board that make up the ICC are destroying cricket." And considering ODI makes more money (i.e because its more popular), they seem to be doing what the fans want.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Explain what this means: "Making the ICC money." ICC is a non profit organization, any money it makes goes back out to the individual boards (all 90+ of them) or paying the umpires, etc.

And by "ICC destroying the game", you mean "The test nation countries in the ICC board that make up the ICC are destroying cricket." And considering ODI makes more money (i.e because its more popular), they seem to be doing what the fans want.
    Very well, allow me to change my phrasing. Individual cricket boards grab for cash is killing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scmods
    Very well, allow me to change my phrasing. Individual cricket boards grab for cash is killing the game.
    Killing the game in what way - they are doing what the majority of fans (i.e casual fans) obviously want, right?

As I said, 5 test series had character, rivalries, battles within battles. It seperated the good from the great, the great from the legendary. Nowadays tours are about cramming in as many ODIs as possible.

As I said, 5 test series had character, rivalries, battles within battles. It seperated the good from the great, the great from the legendary. Nowadays tours are about cramming in as many ODIs as possible.
    But if its making money, then it means its more popular, no? Shouldn't that be the goal of the ICC? To make the fans happy?

Just because advertisers give them money, doesn't mean the fans are happy.

Tell me, what would you prefer. A 2 test series against Pakistan followed by 5 ODIs, or a 5 test series against Pakistan?

Just because advertisers give them money, doesn't mean the fans are happy.
    The advertisers are not stupid - they wouldn't give them money unless the fans watched. And they give more money for ODI's because more fans watch ODI's.

Tell me, what would you prefer. A 2 test series against Pakistan followed by 5 ODIs, or a 5 test series against Pakistan?
    Neither, we've played too much recently. Fortunately for them, I don't constitute the type of fan that they are targeting, or the type of fan that brings in the big money.

Totally agree - and the 5-Test series between England and South Africa in 2003 was an excellent, see-sawing affair too - but the ICC are partly to blame at least in the case of England. Because of the need to have two touring teams here to fulfill the ICC's tour programme we can only have a 5 Test series if the other team gets just 2 Tests or if we play 8 Tests in a season - neither is desireable! India or WI would not be happy if we gave either just two tests so three and four it has to be. btw, can anyone think of a great 3/4 Test series? A v WI 1994/5 and 1998/9, A v I in 2000/1 and 2003/4, WI v P in 1988..anyone think of anymore?
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    But if its making money, then it means its more popular, no? Shouldn't that be the goal of the ICC? To make the fans happy?
    Test cricket, much like classical music, Chadonnays or french cuisine, is a cultured and acquired taste. It has to be 'developed' and nurtured.
    As such, when it comes to any medium of 'fine arts', the audience would be few but they nonetheless epitomise the technical and artistic excellence of their fields.
    Simply pandering to 'popular demand' would result in a far more 'dumbed down' culture of pop music, ODI cricket and 'rap poetry'. I dont intend to say that these are irrelevant or shouldnt be supported but it is a fact that popular demand almost universally is a 'dumbed down' version of a finer art. As such, ignoring or sidelining the highest form of art and expertise simply to satiate a 'quick-fix, dumbed down' public would ultimately result in the death of the said art. Simply because without the presence of fine art, the 'popular art' becomes almost too blaize and repetetive. Indeed, i've met many people who dont care about most ODIs- i find that i share their sentiments too unless its a very close match, the last match of a tied series or a final like ICC Champion's trophy, world cups and a few multi-team tourneys that are now in the past.

Comming to the subject matter at hand, i think its rather sad that 5 test series are gone. I dont think that 5 test series should be the norm- i am quite happy with 3 test series for most affairs. But this whole business of 4 test series stinks of rotten eggs and i think there should be the occasional 5 test series in contests such as Ashes, Frank Worrell Trophy, Wisden Trophy, Border-Gavaskar trophy, etc etc.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Anyone who would rather have 7 ODIs and 3 Tests, rather than 5 Tests and 3 ODIs isn't a true cricket fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    Anyone who would rather have 7 ODIs and 3 Tests, rather than 5 Tests and 3 ODIs isn't a true cricket fan.
    Ah, its elitist attitudes like these that are the problem.

I agree with you though.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    That's good

Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Test cricket, much like classical music, Chadonnays or french cuisine, is a cultured and acquired taste. It has to be 'developed' and nurtured.
    Hah, I love these terms. 'Cultured' tastes. As if those who don't like that crappy tasting chardonnay or the annoyingly mild french cuisine are somehow savage brutes.

Elitist much?

I think its the responsibility of the boards to grow the game of cricket. And Test cricket still has enough in it to keep it viable, but if at some point it doesn't, why should it be kept alive? The people clearly don't want it. Same with classical music - there is an industry for it, because there is a demand. If there isn't, classical music would go away too.

C_C
    As if those who don't like that crappy tasting chardonnay or the annoyingly mild french cuisine are somehow savage brutes.
    I dont think you've had good Chardonnay if you think its 'crappy tasting'.

nd Test cricket still has enough in it to keep it viable, but if at some point it doesn't, why should it be kept alive?
    The same reason classical music was kept alive in western royal courts or Indian classical music was kept alive in subcontinental royal courts. Put simply, the pinnacle of any art (and ultimately, sport is art- some more than others though) should be kept alive simply because of the cultural value it imparts to the society.

Same with classical music - there is an industry for it, because there is a demand. If there isn't, classical music would go away too.
    Err..NO.
    Classical music, even today, exists because of the support it gets from the cultural ministry of various governments- not because there is a 'demand' for it. There is demand, but not nearly enough to break even on the expenses in several places, let alone turn a profit.
    Culture cannot be equated with economics and its this 'economics trumps all' hyper-capitalistic attitude that has left North America to be extremely culturally stunted and stagnant compared to contemporary Europe. I dont want to debate this point- i have lived both in Europe and North America and its very apparent which side of the atlantic is more cultured.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information