• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flaws in yousufs batting

mohammad16

U19 Captain
mohammad yousuf is continuing to impress, really the way he stroked the century today has to be one of the most effotless and class filled centuries ever, inzamam was really struglin even to get off strike and mohammad yousuf whos in incredible form was finding the middle of the stick every ball

even defensive strokes produced a great sound out of his willow

his footwork is superior to inzamam, and he seems to get well behind the line of the ball, the head is right over the ball and still

one thing i have noticed that yousuf has elimiated over the years is that he rarely drives away from his body liek he used to sometime ago, now he makes a commitment to get his body behind the line of the ball and really jus times all his drives for four, with really good weight transfer and balance

he is a much diff player now, i remember there was a time where he went hard after the ball, there was jerky movements of the elbow and he used to opt for power at times, in his late run of form, he has let the ball come to him and has effortlessly stroked the ball away

he always seems to have more time to play his shots then he did before

really todays 100 was a thing of class and pleasure to watch, he really is a right handed version of saeed anwar to me, cept that saeed also used to go hard at the ball from time to time

the only fault i can spot in mohammad yousufs technique is that his bat isnt perfectly straight, comapred to someone like tendulkar or lara when comming down.

but really, i have seen very few pakistan batsmen who bring the bat down straight, its a big rarety in pakistan cricket, younis khan has a pretty straight bat, i think he has the best techniqe in the pakistani team, he uses his feet well and also plays with a straight bat.

ofcourse on yousuf, alot of peopel would say that he still has to perform againts australia in australia to certify his new found batting success

but i already saw him go after warne like very few others a couple of years ago, it was quioet amazing if anyone remembers, although he still did struggle againts the quickies

i think yousufs ultimate test would be a bounct surface, it might expose some flaws in his batting, right now he seems sublime, lets hope he continues!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
mohammad16 said:
but really, i have seen very few pakistan batsmen who bring the bat down straight, its a big rarety in pakistan cricket, younis khan has a pretty straight bat, i think he has the best techniqe in the pakistani team, he uses his feet well and also plays with a straight bat.
Couldn't agree more, I have seen Younis bat on numerous occasions and I think younger Pakistani batsmen could learn from him.

dass

Banned
who cares if the bat is straight or not, aslong your scoring runs ur fine and Lara also doesn';t have straight bat.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
dass said:
who cares if the bat is straight or not, aslong your scoring runs ur fine and Lara also doesn';t have straight bat.
It could matter if you consider Lara as an anomaly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
dass said:
It matters when you're facing quality attacks on bowling pitches. On the roads of the subcontinent, it doesn't matter as much, and thats why you have sehwag's of the world stroking away to 50+ averages.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Well, i think he doesn't fair too well against the really short and quick stuff.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
laras bat is straight, well i no its sidways when its high on his back lift, but the bat doenst come down at an angle, it comes down straight even thougth he seems to turn the bat in his hands

gunner

U19 Cricketer
noone looks at the flaws

everyone looks at stats and if yousof has good stats then he will be seen a a great in another 10 years time

mohammad16

U19 Captain
its wrong to look at stats too heavily,

his stats are superior to inzi and javed miandad
but both inzi and javed are easily ahead of him as overall greats in pakistan cricket

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mohammad16 said:
its wrong to look at stats too heavily,

his stats are superior to inzi and javed miandad
but both inzi and javed are easily ahead of him as overall greats in pakistan cricket
Agreed, but if you look further into the stats you will see Mohamamd Yousuf has failed against South Africa, Sri Lanka and Australia. Until he can fix this record against seaming wickets, Murali and the best bowling attack in the world he will never be considered a great.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Perm said:
Agreed, but if you look further into the stats you will see Mohamamd Yousuf has failed against South Africa, Sri Lanka and Australia. Until he can fix this record against seaming wickets, Murali and the best bowling attack in the world he will never be considered a great.
Hmm... have heard about his struggles against SA and Australia, but I never knew he had a poor record against Sri Lanka. By any chance do you have his averages against Sri Lanka and in Sri Lanka? Would also be interesting to see his record against Murali, as in general he's a quality player of spin.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
all pakistani batsmen tend to struggle againts australia because of thier lack of technique

but i yousuf has had a good time againts warne recently

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shortpitched713 said:
Hmm... have heard about his struggles against SA and Australia, but I never knew he had a poor record against Sri Lanka. By any chance do you have his averages against Sri Lanka and in Sri Lanka? Would also be interesting to see his record against Murali, as in general he's a quality player of spin.
Mostly it's based on 2000, where Yousuf faced Sri Lanka in six tests, home and away, and was dismissed 7 times out of 9 dismissals by Murali, averaging 24.22 with one fifty.

He's never done that well against Sri Lanka though for whatever reason, only has two fifties against them in 12 tests.

Yousuf hasn't played against Warne that many times, as his first series against Australia didn't include Warne. In 04/05 he faced Warne though, and scored once century where he took him apart and got out to him twice. He's got out to MacGill quite a lot of times though.

Josh

International Regular
I don't think ANY batsman has ever been technically perfect. Even the Don. "Perfect" is a word that, as we're told, is a state that just doesn't exist. It's a favourite of mine to use as a romantic, however.

Point is, every batsman will have his flaws, and that's why flaws are not looked at so harshly and scruitinised in the truley great batsmen... that is unless they're having a patch of poor form :p (Ponting pushes forward very hard and is succeptable to the swinging ball early in the innings, for example, headlined in the last Ashes series.)