• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajay Jadeja's ban could be lifted!

masterblaster

International Captain
Read the BBC Article

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/2387447.stm

Its unbelievable!
They are going to an arbitrator to have his 5 year ban either imposed or lifted.

For me its great news, as before the match fixing scandal Ajay Jadeja used to be one of my favourite players.

But i doubt he can get in the team now, with Sehwag, Yuvraj and Kaif

[Edited on 2/11/2002 by masterblaster]

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Would India still pick him anyway? he must be on the wrong side of 30 now & with the likes of Sehwag, Dravid, Bangar going great guns its unlikely he'd return.

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ajay jadeja was one of my favourite players too, but i dont know after being out of the ODIs for so long he will be able to return or not, some other players have done it so can he.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
And they need him because??? Not really great record in Tests and their ODI team is sorted. Although Bangar's bowling is innefective at best in ODIs and he's built his reputation as a defensive opener...so why is he being picked for the ODI squad?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
At the moment India go in with only 4 bowlers - I've often said I think that is too risky. Bangar is a capable batsman, and I think his style of bowling would be suited to South African conditions.

And, as for judging his ODI bowling as "inefective at best" - he's played 4 games, picked up Hussain with his 2nd ball in ODI's, and in his last game bowled 5 overs for 18 in a tight game - doesn't look too bad to me.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
There is no way Jadeja can get through into the Indian team even if the ban is lifted.His days are over and there are a bunch of players that perform the role that was his in the Indian team earlier.

He used to come late in the order and give it a whack and Yuvraj and Kaif have been doing it successfully lately.His bowling was never any good.

But he could do serious damage in his time....I still cannot forget his innings in the 1996 world cup quarter finals against Pakistan.

[Edited on 2/11/2002 by aussie_beater]

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Yes, if that ban gets lifted, it couldn't have come at a worse time for him. There is no place for him in the side now. Only if the middle order doesn't perform will the selectors turn their attention to an experienced campaigner. Otherwise its curtains for Jadeja anyway.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by Rik
But in Domestic OD Cricket he averages 50...with the ball :wow:
And the point of this is?

If he can restrict the opponents then that's what ODIs are about - having him bowl 10 rather than a combination of Ganguly/Tendulkar/Laxman/Sehwag is probably preferable to the tune of approx 30 runs (esp. in SA) - don't forget one of the mainstream bowlers could have an off day too (Ajit!) - and this could easily make up for a slight reduction in run scoring rate (Laxman's not the most explosive ODI batsman, is he?)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm just wondering why a guy who is doing well in tests yet scores at about 30 runs ever 100 balls is picked for ODIs...surely OD cricket is about scoring above 100 runs ever 100 balls...

Andre

International Regular
I think this is terrible. Jadeja should see out his ban, as should all those others who have been banned. The ICC should force them to fulfill the bans, otherwisother match-fixers will creep up, expecting to get out of any ban given.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly, I think its a joke that someone who has match-fixed can get off so easily.
And whats the point of letting him off anyway because I'd doubt that John Wright especially would want to take a step back in picking a player who last played 2 or 3 years ago.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Ajay Jadeja was a real good player for India ... i know he is a match fixer but i dont think every game he played was fixed....

In a tri nation tournament in Sharjah i remember a period after the captaincy from tendulkar was removed and azharuddin was injured Ajay Jadeja was appointed captain the only time he was appointed captaincy was that time, and he led the team to victory in the finals over pakistan, he bowled the a few overs and took 3 wickets in 1 over...

He was one of Indias best fielder.... and he is pretty fit , he bowls real well too , i think he would be a good replacement for Laxman this guy doesnt deserve a bit in the Indian team... hes like a burden , only performs the odd times...

Anyway with all the youngsters in the team its not like one of them is going to be replaced but 3 ppl i really want to see back in the team is or even on the sideline for the world cup would be

N.Mongia
A.Jadeja
And a GOOD consistent med/fast bowler

People i would like to see off

J.Srinath
Vvs.Laxman
A.Nehra

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I've allways admired Mongia but I think at the moment Patel is doing well enough to warrent his place. And Dravid isn't doing too badly as OD Keeper

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik
I'm just wondering why a guy who is doing well in tests yet scores at about 30 runs ever 100 balls is picked for ODIs...surely OD cricket is about scoring above 100 runs ever 100 balls...
And how many cricketers do that over a career?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Errrrm most ODI cricketers average 60-80 runs off 100 balls...and their strike rates are improving...