• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captains...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I was looking at the canada vs netherlands game and i just observed that all most all of the canadian players were born in india, Guyana/west indies, pakistan or some other place than canada....so heres a Question....Should there be a rule that says only native borns can captain a team?...so like if you were to captain canada you would have to be born in canada...or you were to captain australia you would have to be born in australia....I think that's fair...just like you would have to be a native born to be a president/priminister for whatever country....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This reminds me of the ECB's decree that WSC players were ineligible to play in the Championship. It's got about as much legal rigour, too.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
its not saying immigrants cant play its just they cant be captain like they couldnt be president...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Is another one of those "say the first word that comes into your head" games? I'll go first:

Discrimination.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
steds said:
Is another one of those "say the first word that comes into your head" games? I'll go first:

Discrimination.
So not letting immigrants be the leader of your country is discrimination? Then USA has a big discrimination by not letting immigrants be president...well i dont think thats discrimination because a indian born in the country can...only if your not you cant...you could be any other than that.... doesn mean you cant be vice captain/vice president

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
pasag said:
Haha, stupidest idea ever. Full offence intended.
actually no thats just what i thought it would be like cause i wouldn't take offense that i couldn't be presedent if was a immigrant so thought it be the same cause presidents leading the government... captains leading the team...both is representing a country...no offense intended...dont make any thing out of it....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think you should make it so that a player of a minority race couldn't be captain. Or better yet, couldn't play. I mean, kids look up to players, you don't want them looking up to dirty foreigners, do you?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
silentstriker said:
I think you should make it so that a player of a minority race couldn't be captain. Or better yet, couldn't play. I mean, kids look up to players, you don't want them looking up to dirty foreigners, do you?
so who said blacks, asians, mexicans cant be president in the US? everyone can only they should be born here....thats just taking it too far...no one said any against foreigners dont take it too far....cause watch if i moved to england and they were playing usa i would still support usa just because i feel its my country....when you are born somewhere it feels like you have rights in that country and that is your country...whatever people are taking it the racist way when it aint intended

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So what if say for example Imran Khan's parents were holidaying in India when he was born but they went back to Pakistan a couple of days afterwards. Would it be right to restrict this person from captaining his country, even though he was born in another country when his parents were holidaying? Pretty stupid thread really.

pasag

RTDAS
LA ICE-E said:
actually no thats just what i thought it would be like cause i wouldn't take offense that i couldn't be presedent if was a immigrant so thought it be the same cause presidents leading the government... captains leading the team...both is representing a country...no offense intended...dont make any thing out of it....
The irony is that this guy is taking an idiotic American law, one widley seen as stupid and old fashioned and applying it to cricket. Over there it makes no sense, so why on earth would anyone want to apply a discriminatory law to cricket?

Don't know why I'm even bothering tbh.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
LA ICE-E said:
I was looking at the canada vs netherlands game and i just observed that all most all of the canadian players were born in india, Guyana/west indies, pakistan or some other place than canada....so heres a Question....Should there be a rule that says only native borns can captain a team?...so like if you were to captain canada you would have to be born in canada...or you were to captain australia you would have to be born in australia....I think that's fair...just like you would have to be a native born to be a president/priminister for whatever country....

The only question is whether a player not born of a particular Country should be allowed to play for that Country at all, for example Greig, Lamb and many many others - including currently Pietersen - for England or Kepler Wessels for Australia. Having decided that players can qualify for another Country through residency or heritage it would be wrong to say that they then cannot be captain.