Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Lee and Kaneria

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar

Lee and Kaneria

These guys are a lot more similar than they would appear at first glance. Both of them have had a lot of hype, both of them have all the tools to be great bowlers, and both of them have averages on the wrong side of 30 and have generally not performed up to their potential in Test matches. Why the hell is this the case?

Personally I don't think it is anything technical about their bowling. Lee has one of the best pace generating actions I've seen, and Kaneria effectively bowls all of the variations that a leg spinner could hope for. Anyway, just wondering what your alls thoughts on these bowlers are and why they are underperforming.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Both very predictable with their bowling?
    RIP Craigos

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Oh yeah, both get tonked around a surprising amount for bowlers who are rated so highly.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I don't consider Kaneria the best spinner at Pakistan's disposal right now. I rate Mushtaq Ahmed far higher. The reason Kaneria is so highly rated is his age. He's 25 and the best wristspinner in Test cricket outside of Australia (I don't consider Kumble a typical wristspinner). That's due to lack of competition though.

Kaneria has potential, but he's far from a world class spinner. He's averaged more than 35 in 4 of his last 5 Test series. In his last 15 series he has averaged under 30 just thrice - twice against Sri Lanka and once against South Africa. In that time, he has averaged over 50 five times. He may have the tools, yes, but you need more than potential to be a top class sportsman.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    There is almost always going to be a weak link in any bowling line up and currently for Australia Brett Lee is the one who tries to mix it up a little, bowl fast and try and intimidate the batsman more that the probing bowling of McGrath and Clark which is not easy to hit out against.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Lack of Plan B...
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Thread Information