• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing terms

Josh

International Regular
As someone interested in word origins in general, and also one whose favourite sport and hobby is cricket; I am very intreagued as to the origins of some cricketing terms we see in the sport.

Bowling terms such as "chinamen" and "yorker", even the name of some of the fielding positions "silly (point/mid on/mid off)", "third man" and the terms "fine" and "square".

What things actually determined the meanings of these words??

Add your own if you can think of any others.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"Chinaman" comes from Puss Achong, IIRC. Windies spinner of Oriental extraction. A batsman wandered off after being dismissed by him muttering about being bowled by a "Bloody chinaman".

"Yorker" comes from the expression "sending someone to Yorkshire", presumably because it's the worst place in the world... :p

I'm not altogther sure about "silly", but have always presumed it was because it was seen as being silly to field so close to the batsman.

"Bosie" (the popular Oz alternate for "Googly") comes from Bernard Bosanquet, who was the first to bowl the delivery.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Doosra" is Hindi for "other one" I think, someone may need to check that but I'm pretty sure thats right.

Dravid

International Captain
Perm said:
"Doosra" is Hindi for "other one" I think, someone may need to check that but I'm pretty sure thats right.
Doosra mean the 2nd one, but your close enough.

Dravid

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
It can also be used for the "other one". Well, we do use it in Urdu, I'm sure its the same in Hindi.
Yeah, it could be used as the other one depending on how it is used.

Matt79

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
"Chinaman" comes from Puss Achong, IIRC. Windies spinner of Oriental extraction. A batsman wandered off after being dismissed by him muttering about being bowled by a "Bloody chinaman".

"Yorker" comes from the expression "sending someone to Yorkshire", presumably because it's the worst place in the world... :p

I'm not altogther sure about "silly", but have always presumed it was because it was seen as being silly to field so close to the batsman.

"Bosie" (the popular Oz alternate for "Googly") comes from Bernard Bosanquet, who was the first to bowl the delivery.
Never heard "Bosie" in Australia in my experience. I thought it was an English expression.

I thought there was a similar derivation to Bosie for Yorker, as in the first exponent of it on a consistent basis was a Yorkshire bowler.

Square presumably refers to the fact that it's perpendicular or "square" to the main axis of the ground, ie the direction the pitch is pointing.

What's the origin of 'googly'?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Third man is fairly straightforward I think. I imagine it refers to the position being the third man in line on the off-side behind the wicket, after the keeper and the slip.

archie mac

International Coach
Matt79 said:
What's the origin of 'googly'?
"Was a ball that so mystified the batsman that it made him 'Goggle', this not wholly satisfatory but probably as close as we are likely to get"

Silly

This is from the 1878 Aussies the first white Australian team to tour England, Harry Boyle was said 'to be silly, to stand so close, to the batsman'.

Both of these are from "The Dictionary of Cricket" by Michael Rundell.

A great informative read.

Matt79

Global Moderator
archie mac said:
"Was a ball that so mystified the batsman that it made him 'Goggle', this not wholly satisfatory but probably as close as we are likely to get"

Silly

This is from the 1878 Aussies the first white Australian team to tour England, Harry Boyle was said 'to be silly, to stand so close, to the batsman'.

If Google's lawyers found out about this, "bosie" would become a much more popular term if people wanted to avoid a writ! :D

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yorker comes from the archaic, and I suspect now un-pc, expression "to Yorkshire" which meant to deceive.

Last edited:

cameeel

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:

Really? Can't honestly say I've ever heard anyone refer to a googly/wrong 'un as a bosie in Aus or anywhere else. :blink:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
Really? Can't honestly say I've ever heard anyone refer to a googly/wrong 'un as a bosie in Aus or anywhere else. :blink:
Maybe its a generational thing. I know many Aussies older than myself that call the googly a Bosie.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've never heard any commentators refer to it as a Bosie but I have seen it written in several articles.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Benaud is the only commentator to call the googly a "bosie" with any regularity & as he was (in the pre-satellite telly era) the only Aussie voice we heard over here I just assumed it was an Australian expression. So blame Richie.

Josh

International Regular
archie mac said:

Silly

Definitely seems it, I'll be trying to get hold of that one.

archie mac

International Coach
cameeel said:
I have heard it hundreds of times, though I am older, I still hear it on occasions. Surprised that you have not heard it from Benaud he uses it a lot. Maybe now that you know the word you will notice it more often :)