• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWeb Investigations

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Here's something I've been wondering for the past few days. People talk about making the step up to international cricket. Some players excel in First Class but yet lack that certain something to convert their good record at FC level to international success.

What about players who have had a somewhat poorer FC record to their international team mates yet excelled in that arena, after somehow getting a call up?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
Here's something I've been wondering for the past few days. People talk about making the step up to international cricket. Some players excel in First Class but yet lack that certain something to convert their good record at FC level to international success.

What about players who have had a somewhat poorer FC record to their international team mates yet excelled in that arena, after somehow getting a call up?
There are very few.

2 off the top of my head are Trescothick (had a shocking FC record before being selected) and Ken Barrington who had a good FC record but managed to turn that into an amazing Test record

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
One of the problems with working such a thing out is that test cricket is also first class cricket. There are many players who are called up with little first class experience or mediocre first class records but correct them as they go through their international careers, since obviously they are quality players.

McGrath for instance had played around 9 FC games when he was called up, and while he had a good record in them it wasn't particularly amazing. Warne had quite a poor FC record when he was picked, I believe. Steve Waugh had only played a few games, etc. A lot of young players are like this.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
One of the problems with working such a thing out is that test cricket is also first class cricket. There are many players who are called up with little first class experience or mediocre first class records but correct them as they go through their international careers, since obviously they are quality players.

McGrath for instance had played around 9 FC games when he was called up, and while he had a good record in them it wasn't particularly amazing. Warne had quite a poor FC record when he was picked, I believe. Steve Waugh had only played a few games, etc. A lot of young players are like this.
Yes, when I look at stuff like the correlation between FC and Test records I generally have to focus on England as it is the only country where players have a large body of FC work to compare with.

There are a guys around the world who have played more Test matches than domestic FC games and that makes it hard to compare.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Goughy said:
There are very few.

2 off the top of my head are Trescothick (had a shocking FC record before being selected) and Ken Barrington who had a good FC record but managed to turn that into an amazing Test record
It depends how much poorer one is looking their FC record to be. Vaughan & Gower both average more in tests too, although I'd guess the difference isn't as pronounced. I think Simon Jomes has a superior test record too, although he's hardly had the sort of career where a serious comparison can be made yet.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Had Bradman played the same number of innings that Steve Waugh had (260, the most), and continued to average 99.94, he would have scored 25,984 runs in test cricket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PhoenixFire said:
Had Bradman played the same number of innings that Steve Waugh had (260, the most), and continued to average 99.94, he would have scored 25,984 runs in test cricket.
Chris Martin averages 1.548 runs per Test match. To equal Brian Lara's record (11904), he would need to play 7,688 Tests.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Chris Martin averages 1.548 runs per Test match. To equal Brian Lara's record (11904), he would need to play 7,688 Tests.
If he stays fit, then there is no reason why he can't achieve it, I don't like your negative attitude. Assuming NZ play 15 tests a year then, Chris Martin would be 540 years old.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Back on topic, something I put together a few months/years ago on the Test-FC divide:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Almost certain it is too; that was a graph with Domestic records calculated by subtracting Test records from FC ones but I can't for the life of me find the raw data...

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
If he stays fit, then there is no reason why he can't achieve it, I don't like your negative attitude. Assuming NZ play 15 tests a year then, Chris Martin would be 540 years old.
I thought NZ played 2 tests a year...