• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 5 for 1946-65 World Test XI

# 5 for the 1946-65 World Test XI

• Colin Bland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brian Booth

• Tom Graveney

• Peter Parfitt

• Polly Umrigar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie tragic

International Captain
This in now a 4-day poll to pick the # 5 for the 1946-65 World Test XI:

First, the four runner-ups from the # 4 Poll:

Ken Barrington (Eng): 62 tests, 5166 runs @ 58.04 (14/28) HS 256
Denis Compton (Eng): 70 tests, 5339 runs @ 49.89 (15/26) HS 278 --- 23 wkts @ 58.60
Neil Harvey (Aus): 79 tests, 6149 runs @ 48.41 (21/24) HS 205
Graeme Pollock (SA): 14 tests, 1202 runs @ 52.26 (4/6) HS 175 --- 4 wkts @ 47.75

And now the # 5 batsman nominees:

Colin Bland (SA): 20 tests, 1637 runs @ 51.15 (3/9) HS 144*
Brian Booth (Aus): 27 tests, 1705 runs @ 44.86 (5/10) HS 169
Tom Graveney (Eng): 55 tests, 3107 runs @ 41.98 (6/12) HS 258
Peter Parfitt (Eng): 30 tests, 1585 runs @ 45.28 (7/4) HS 131* --- 9 wkts @ 55.33
Polly Umrigar (Ind): 59 tests, 3631 runs @ 42.22 (12/14) HS 223 --- 35 wkts @ 42.08
Frank Worrell (WI): 51 tests, 3860 runs @ 49.48 (9/22) HS 261 --- 69 wkts @ 38.72

The 1946-65 World Test XI so far:

1. Len Hutton (Eng)
2. Arthur Morris (Aus)
3. Clyde Walcott (WI)
4. Everton Weekes (WI)
5. --------------------------

aussie tragic

International Captain
I voted Harvey over Worrell primarily due to him having 21 centuries from 79 tests, whereas Worrell only had 9 from 51 tests.

C_C

International Captain
Worrell - he had a reputation (or atleast, does amongst the older generation WI fans) for scoring particularly proficiently when the chips were down ( same reason why Ian Chappell is rated highly by the fans of that era and Greg Chappell loses a bit of ground) and he's an alltime great captain up there with the very very best- probably the best off-field captain cricket ever had and a superb tactician on field.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Barrington-Harvey. Barrington-Harvey....

Toughie.

Barringtons record is more than special, but I think I have to go with Harvey.

oz_fan

International Regular
For me it was a choice between Barrington, Worrell, Pollock and Harvey. I went with Harvey for his high conversion rate and Bradman rated him as one of the best batsmen against spin of all time and I think 5 would be the perfect position for him to come in at.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pollock for me - a special cricketer. Barrington's average is higher, but Pollock scored his runs in a faster and more entertaining fashion.

aussie tragic

International Captain
adharcric said:
I wanted Pollock, but he doesn't stand a chance. Worrell it is.
Okay, so with phenox picking Worrell by mistake over Compton, while you really wanted Pollock, it should be Harvey and Worrell equal on 5 votes :@

Actually I wouldn't be upset at any of these 3 getting in, however as Harvey was considered the 2nd best Australian batsman ever (until Chappell came along), I'd love to see him at # 5 :)

JBH001

International Regular
I thought Trumper was the 2nd best? ;)

As to this, I dunno - I reckon Worrell though a good batsman is overshadowed by Harvey, Barrington and Compton and I dislike including him purely for his captaincy especially when we have a perfectly good captain (who earns his place against all comers on his batting alone too) in Len Hutton. I am leaning towards Barrington but really like Harvey too.

Hmmm.....

bagapath

International Captain
come on guys!!! it has to be the great compton. worrell was a superb skipper. compton was obviously a superior batsman. please.....

Slifer

International Captain
How is Compton "obviuosly" a superior batsman? HE may be but based on their stats i dont think its tht clear cut. Plus Worrell was better as a part time bowler as well.

bagapath

International Captain
Slifer said:
How is Compton "obviuosly" a superior batsman? HE may be but based on their stats i dont think its tht clear cut. Plus Worrell was better as a part time bowler as well.
compton averaged more over more tests. scored more centuries. had more all round success against different countries.