• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spinner for 1946-65 World Test XI

Spinner for 1946-65 World Test XI

• Dave Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ian Johnson

• Tony Lock

• Vinoo Mankad

• Sonny Ramadhin

• Fred Titmus

• Alf Valentine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richie Benaud has the added factor of his batting and captaincy abilities, I've no doubt he wasn't as good of a spinner as the likes of Laker, Lock of Gibbs but has more than one string to his bow.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not an expert on Benaud, but isn't there a clear discrepancy between two sections of his career? I remember reading somewhere that he had a finger injury that hampered him on and off for an extended period, and his average outside of that period is under 25, and above 30 during it.

Anyway, he also held the test wicket taking record for a time, so he was clearly a bowler of remarkable talents. Add in his batting ability (FC average in the high 30s) and he's certainly a reasonable choice if a second spinner is selected.

edit: Just had a look, and up until the tour of India in 1956 he averaged 34 with the ball from 24 tests. For the remainder of his career he took 198 wickets @ 24.66 in 39 tests. This includes a peak of 26 matches over 5 or so years in which he took 154 wickets @ 21.15, before a few poor series at the end of his career. His batting also improved as his career went on.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
He had a persistent injury to his spinning finger - it split and basically kept on splitting and he was on the verge of considering retirement when he found a home remedy in NZ IIRC.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
He had a persistent injury to his spinning finger - it split and basically kept on splitting and he was on the verge of considering retirement when he found a home remedy in NZ IIRC.
A little off topic, but I used to play with a top quality spinner that was about 10 yrs older than me.

When I was an up-and-comer in the pre season nets he would be complaing that it had not healed yet. "Whats not healed yet?", "My spinning finger"

It turned out every football season he would cut, slice and abrase (sp?) his spinning finger in order to build up a massive amount of caloused (sp?) scar tissue that would enable him to bowl throughout the cricket season without any pain and splitting.

It obviously worked, and I often wonder why more dont do the same.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'd have to consult Benaud's book where I read about it, but I think it was pretty callused and still was splitting. The concoction he ended up using was some kind of oil, mixed with some herbs or something IIRC and Benaud credits it with saving his career.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Goughy said:
It turned out every football season he would cut, slice and abrase (sp?) his spinning finger in order to build up a massive amount of caloused (sp?) scar tissue that would enable him to bowl throughout the cricket season without any pain and splitting.

It obviously worked, and I often wonder why more dont do the same.
Because its nasty. :blink:

Anyway, what exactly is a "split" spinning finger? Being a part-time spinner, I've never yet come across that problem.

Matt79

Global Moderator
shortpitched713 said:
Because its nasty. :blink:

Anyway, what exactly is a "split" spinning finger? Being a part-time spinner, I've never yet come across that problem.
The friction from repeatedly ripping the ball out of the hand with one finger taking the majority of the stress causes the skin to actually rip open leaving a nasty bleeding sore...

bagapath

International Captain
Goughy said:
Its interesting when listening to the commentary of Lakers 19fer how they had a low opinion of Benauds bowling compared to Lock and Laker. I dont think he can be put in the top class spinner category.

I find it difficult to beleive that Benaud could make any alltime (or generational team) unless captaincy carried bonus points.
benaud peaked much later in 1959 i think. so no wonder he was considered not on par with laker. he never became. but still 248 wickets at 27 is very very good.

bagapath

International Captain
adharcric said:
Laker > Gibbs > Gupte
gupte was a leggie with a better wkt/ per ratio and strike rate than the off spinning gibbs.

anyway i find this equation as confusing as bradman>sampras>humphrey bogart.

I know I am carrying it too far. but just making a point :)

haroon510

International 12th Man
saqlin mushtaq llol :laugh:
what can i say i have never seen these guys playing. i can choose one after seeing thier profile but again i havn't seen them playing. so i would say saqi if he would have played during these years lol