• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Waugh - "Ponting best Aus player since Bradman and can make 50 Test Hundreds"

Is Ponting the best Australian player since Bradman?

• Total voters

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Steve Waugh - "Ponting best Aus player since Bradman and can make 50 Test Hundreds"

I was just browsing Cricinfo today and I came across this Article where Steve Waugh claims that Ponting is the best Australian player since Sir Donald Bradman.

Personally I think that Steve Waugh is getting too carried away with his good form, and that ponting will never be as good as Greg Chappel and Stan McCabe. Do you think that Steve Waugh is over exaggerating?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Waugh doesn't say Ponting is the best since Bradman, he says he will be. It's a prediction, not a current opinion.

Anyway, I think Ponting as it stands is likely to be remembered alongside Chappell as Australia's second best. Obviously it depends what he does for the rest of his career, but he's guaranteed to be remembered as an all-time great IMO, and his statistical feats are certainly remarkable.

50 centuries is a big achievement, and people expected the same thing of Tendulkar without it eventuating to much, so it's a bit hard to say. I think he'll definitely make 40, and if there's anyone in world cricket who will make 50 it'll be him. There will be an inevitable decline as there was with Waugh and others, it's just a question of how far off it is and whether or not Ponting can get through it.

I think it's a bit silly to refer to Ponting's recent achievements as "form" though. The guy averages over 70 for the last four or five years, totalling more than 50 tests, or basically half his career. This year is the third out of the last four that he's scored six centuries in, which is one short of the record. And as I said in the other thread on Ponting, in his last 50 test matches he has 22 centuries. That's not a patch of form, it's the peak of his career.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find it too difficult to judge a guy who is still playing against some of the great batsman that retired a long time ago. I think Ponting is certainly capable of making 40 centuries, and he will get close to 50 but I'm not sure.

oz_fan

International Regular
There isn't much between the next 5 or so batsmen after Bradman. Waugh, Border, Ponting, Chappell and Harvey were all-time great batsmen. At the moment I'd probably have Chappell second with Waugh, Border and Ponting close behind. Ponting should still have at least 3-4 years left at test level and if he can make 40-50 centuries, that would put him second after Bradman.

adharcric

International Coach
As of now, I'd have Chappell second, Ponting third and Border fourth.
In a few years, I'm sure Ponting will jump ahead of Chappell.

The Indian media brought this up, quoted Waugh saying that Ponting will become the best Australian since Bradman and then complained about how Waugh could forget about Lara and Tendulkar. Retards !!

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
I voted for no, because there have been better players than him like Warne, Miller, McGrath. Still I think he is the best Aussie batsman since Bradman, with possible competition from Chappell. Chappell's average though doesn't look that great compared to many other all-time batting greats. Never saw him play and haven't done much research on him, why is he rated so highly?