• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI - with a difference

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pffffttttt, takes away the fun when you start picking Flower and Taibu. May as well pick Streak.

Yeah, I meant Asif, not Gul Fuller. :)

oz_fan

International Regular
Nafees (Ban)
Gayle (WI)
Ponting* (Aus)
Dravid (Ind)
Yousuf (Pak)
Flintoff (Eng)
Pollock (SA)
Taibu+ (Zim)
Murali (SL)
Bond (NZ)
McGrath (Aus)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Chris Gayle - West Indies
Shahryar Nafees - Bangladesh
Rahul Dravid - India
Mohammad Yousuf - Pakistan
Stephen Fleming* - New Zealand
Andrew Flintoff - England
Tatenda Taibu+ - Zimbabwe
Shane Warne - Australia
Glenn McGrath - Australia
Muttiah Muralitharan - Sri Lanka
Makhaya Ntini - South Africa

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of the openers named in this thread, going on form as their performances in 2006:

AJ Strauss - 837 runs @ 46.50
V Sehwag - 746 @ 46.62
CH Gayle - 648 @ 40.50
ML Hayden - 432 @ 39.27
Shahriar Nafees - 330 @ 41.25
GC Smith - 327 @ 29.72

Presuming that a World XI is picked on form - as it should be - I don't see how Hayden and Smith with approach it.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
My XI's 2006 averages:

Chris Gayle - BAT 40.50
Shahryar Nafees - BAT 41.25
Rahul Dravid - BAT 74.71
Mohammad Yousuf - BAT 97.63
Stephen Fleming* - BAT 61.88
Andrew Flintoff - BAT 38.88 / BWL 29.22
Tatenda Taibu+ - BAT 43.36*
Shane Warne - BWL 31.29
Glenn McGrath - BWL 21.81*
Muttiah Muralitharan - BWL 17.86
Makhaya Ntini - BWL 23.41

*Stats taken from 2005 due to lack of sufficient number of matches in 2006

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Of the openers named in this thread, going on form as their performances in 2006:

AJ Strauss - 837 runs @ 46.50
V Sehwag - 746 @ 46.62
CH Gayle - 648 @ 40.50
ML Hayden - 432 @ 39.27
Shahriar Nafees - 330 @ 41.25
GC Smith - 327 @ 29.72

Presuming that a World XI is picked on form - as it should be - I don't see how Hayden and Smith with approach it.
"Form" doesn't just encompass the last 10 months and 26 days, though. Hayden for instance is only playing his 7th test for the year at the moment, and scored three centuries and two fifties in the last five tests of last year, and averaged 89 and 52 against the West Indies and South Africa respectively. His record in the last 12 months as opposed to 10 months is a fair bit better - 1157 runs @ 52.59.

I agree about Smith, though. He's been pretty poor for a while, and is mostly a selection based on past glories. Strauss and Hayden have been the best test openers in the last year or so.