• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best aspect of Cricket

What is the best aspect of cricket to watch? (watching your team)

• Batting

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Bowling & Fielding

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • The booze up and atmosphere at games

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Natman20

International Debutant
Cricket is a game that is enthrawling for me because it requires levels of athletecism in three different disciplines batting, bowling and Fielding. The part that gets me the most is how every member on the field plays individually but their performances influence where the teams stand. My question to you is what is your favourite aspect of cricket? Is it watching your team bowl to victory? Batting? or fielding? Each aspect could make or break a teams performance and each are a vital factor to the teams final performance. What is the most exciting part of the game for you to watch?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd have to say batting but I get pretty excited when a really good ball is bowled. But batting for me is the aspect I enjoy most of all.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's face it, almost every cricket fan wants to see their team batting rather than bowling/fielding... no matter how much some people might deny it and might say "O we like to see fast bowling and the likes of Akhtar and Lee bowling bouncers at batsmen", there is nothing more interesting for a fan than the start and ending of his/her teams innings. However, for some people the atmosphere is their main attraction to cricket and that is completely justified. But between the first two options, it is much more fun (ATLEAST FOR ME) to watch my team scoring runs.

Let me put it this way... more runs are scored than wickets taken and catches/stumpings/runouts occuring.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
overall, I enjoy good bowling more then good batting.

However, death over slogging can be really entertaining, not to mention a master batsman at work is just a treat to watch. The atmosphere at the cricket stadiums, specially in tests, has nothing on football, not to mention several other sports.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bowling.

Nothing beats bawling "HOOOOGGYY!!" at the top of your voice after he's just got Ponting out. (Wishful thinking, I know.)

open365

International Vice-Captain
The social aspect for me.

Though between batting and bowling, batting for me.

Being on top as a bowler is amazing, but in all honesty, unless you play above your level, it doesn't happen that often.

Batting is generaly a lot more fun, it's more varied, bowling is a repeated action, in batting every ball is different, and the feeling you get from hitting a good cover drive or even forward defensive is well better than just bowling a ball at a piece of grass.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
If you have very good bowling, then bowling. Since I'm an Indian fan, it's definitely batting.

Still, I'm one of few Indian fans I know who actually enjoys watching our seamers bowl. :p

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
If you have very good bowling, then bowling. Since I'm an Indian fan, it's definitely batting.

Still, I'm one of few Indian fans I know who actually enjoys watching our seamers bowl. :p
I enjoy watching our seamers bowl...

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I voted bowling, but it's not that black and white IMO.

The thing I enjoy most in cricket is the contest between bat and ball. I love watching cricket on dicey wickets, I love watching really top class bowlers bowl and I love seeing capable batsmen counter them, I love rearguard innings and destructive spells of bowling and so on. The most fun I have watching cricket is usually something like a fourth innings chase, or a batting effort on a wicket which actually offers some assistance to the bowlers, or even the opposite - a good bowling performance on a road. When it comes down to it I voted bowling because I'd rather watch Warne or McGrath rip through a weak batting lineup than watch Ponting smash a century against rubbish bowling, but really I'd prefer neither.

The beauty of cricket is in the complexity of the contest between bat and ball and all the skills that are involved in that. That's one reason I could never like ODI cricket as much as test cricket (not that I hate ODIs) - because the contest is watered down in favour of focusing on high scores. Fielding restrictions and so on are against the spirit of the game and detract from the best elements of it. And, as an extension, that's also why I could never really like 20/20 cricket much. It takes the things which are problematic in ODIs and simply makes them far worse.

oz_fan

International Regular
Both are great to watch it just depends on the conditions, importance of the innings/wicket, type of pitch, quality of the batsmen/bowlers, etc. Generally I would say I prefer to watch bowling in test matches and batting in ODI's.