• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting to break all batting Records

aussie tragic

International Captain
I've heard a few "Greats" say recently that Ponting will break all Batting records other than Bradman's 99.94 batting average.

Well here's a few I don't think he'll break:

(1) Highest Test Score - His HS is not even in the top 50 (Lara 400*)
(2) Most Double Hundreds - he only has 4 (Bradman 12, Lara 8, Hammond 7)
(3) Most Triple Centuries - He doesn't have any (Bradman & Lara 2)
(4) Best Strike Rate (>2000 runs) - Gilchrist is miles in front
(5) Most Runs in a Calender year - Viv Richards has 1710
(6) Hundreds in consecutive Innings - Weekes has 5
(7) Hundreds in consecutive matches - Bradman has 6
(8) Most runs in a session - Dennis Compton 173; Hammond 150

What's left other than most runs and most centuries, which is primarily because he will play so many tests :-O

EDIT: Lara seems more likely to break more records than Ponting considering points (1) to (3) and that he is already the highest run scorer, plus only 1 century behind Tendulkar.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
PhoenixFire said:
Catches for a fielder, he got pretty safe hands. Best test win % for a captain?
Okay, I did say batting records, however he still needs 62 catches to pass Mark Waugh (again, more about how many tests he'll play), while he wouldn't have to lose many tests to drop below Steve Waugh on the Captaincy record.

oz_fan

International Regular
aussie tragic said:
I've heard a few "Greats" say recently that Ponting will break all Batting records other than Bradman's 99.94 batting average.

(1) Higest Test Score - His HS is not even in the top 50

What's left other than most runs and most centuries, which is primarily because he will play so many tests :-O
Agree that he'll be lucky to break those other records which you mentioned but it will still be an incredible acheivement to be the leading run scorer and have scored the most centuries even if he does play a lot of tests.

Fusion

Global Moderator
aussie tragic said:
Actually I think he has a good shot of breaking this. And he'll probably be breaking Yousaf's record at that point.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Fusion said:
Actually I think he has a good shot of breaking this. And he'll probably be breaking Yousaf's record at that point.
Yeah, he has the 2nd and 3rd highest already, however I think if he was going to break it, he would have done it already :(

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie tragic said:

(1) Highest Test Score - His HS is not even in the top 50 (Lara 400*)

EDIT: Lara seems more likely to break more records than Ponting considering points (1) to (3) and that he is already the highest run scorer, plus only 1 century behind Tendulkar.
The ones I have bolded are the ones I think he could break.

archie mac

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
The ones I have bolded are the ones I think he could break.
Willing to give you some huge odds, on him breaking No.5 :ph34r:

It would mean that the Aussies would have to bat six Test inning in a row, and have to really dominate.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It wouldn't suprise me too much if he passed #8, he can be very aggressive when he is feeling like it.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Nah, he would have to go absolutely freaking mental to do that, can't really see it happening. The current records would probably have been set in times of higher over rates as well, so it would be a hell of an achievement to match it now.

dass

Banned
aussie said:
Agreed, the rest would be a bit hard for even him in this current form.

i think ponting can break leading scorer record too, if Lara retires next year. also most centuries

R_D

International Debutant
dass said:
i think ponting can break leading scorer record too, if Lara retires next year. also most centuries
He will probaly most definately get most centuries and most test runs.
Pretty good odds of Ponting getting 2, 5 and 7.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I really don't think people meant that he would literally break every single batting record. He's not going to break the record for the highest test score against Zimbabwe either, or the most runs behind square on the offside on the second day of a test in Sri Lanka, or be part of the highest 9th wicket stand at Karachi.

I think what was meant is that he would break the "big" records, most runs, most centuries and highest average. I think he will almost certainly break the centuries record within the next year or two, given that he's only 3 behind Tendulkar and has scored more than 20 in the last four years. He's also a pretty good shout to break the runs record, under 3,000 behind Lara and likely to play on a fair bit longer than he is. Of those listed here, I can imagine him breaking the highest score and the most runs in a year. I wouldn't bet on either, but both are plausible IMO. Ponting is a major form player who gets on unbelievable streaks, and could even break Richards' record this year with a good enough Ashes series, and he's got the concentration to make a really massive score one day, potentially. I also think he might break a couple of others, like the most runs in a series of a particular length. It's just guesswork though, unlike the centuries and runs.

I don't think he will break the non-Bradman average record at the end of his career, though it is concievable that he might hit 61 at some point between now and when he retires. If he makes 72 not out or 132 and dismissed in his next test innings he will move past 60, and would need another 151 or so after that on top of the 60 per dismissal to move past Pollock's 60.97.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
As my first post was to list the records that I thought Ponting couldn't break, here are a few that I think he will:

(1) Leading Test Run Scorer - He's currently 7th
(2) 2nd highest Test Batting average - he's currently 6th
(3) Most Test Centuries - He's currently 4th
(4) Most occasions of centuries in both innings - (he currently has 3 which is tied for 1st with Gavaskar)

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
I just noticed that Yousuf has moved into 2nd place for most runs in a calender year. He now has 1562 from 10 Tests, while Viv Richards holds the record with 1710 from 11 tests during 1976.

How many more tests does Pakistan have this year as it looks like a long-time record is under threat?

btw, Ponting has 998 runs from 7 Tests during 2006.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
The Baconator said:
Nah, he would have to go absolutely freaking mental to do that, can't really see it happening. The current records would probably have been set in times of higher over rates as well, so it would be a hell of an achievement to match it now.

Yeah it would be a hell of an acheivement, i would say Gilchrist would be more likely, that said i wouldn't say its impossible for him either.

Isolator

State 12th Man
aussie tragic said:

Didn't Astle make his 222 in one session?

EDIT - Realized that would be ridiculous. He scored 139 in a session.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
aussie tragic said:
I just noticed that Yousuf has moved into 2nd place for most runs in a calender year. He now has 1562 from 10 Tests, while Viv Richards holds the record with 1710 from 11 tests during 1976.

How many more tests does Pakistan have this year as it looks like a long-time record is under threat?

btw, Ponting has 998 runs from 7 Tests during 2006.
Yeah Karachi test will be the final test of the year for Pakistan. He needs 149 runs to break Viv's record and if he scores another century he will also be the first batsman ever to record 8 centuries in a calendar year. Viv had 7 in 1976.