• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yousuf or Ponting?

Yousuf or Ponting

• Total voters

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mohammad Yousuf hasn't proven himself against Australia or South Africa. I'm not sure what countries he has a poor record in, but I think it is South Africa and Australia.

Beleg

International Regular
^

He scored a century at Melbourne in his last tour of Australia, IIRC. :p

In any case, on current form, this is a pretty meaningless question.

Overall, Yousuf isn't even in the same ballpark as Ponting - one is (nearly) an all-time great, the other is a very good batsman.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ricky Ponting
Australia 62.91
Pakistan 119.00
India 12.28
South Africa 65.70
England 42.63
Career 58.22

Mohammad Yousuf
Australia 33.00
Pakistan 59.66
India 34.27
South Africa 18.33
England 65.09
Career 54.39

In conclusion, Mohammad Yousuf has yet to prove himself in South Africa, aswell as India and Australia to an extent. Ponting on the other hand performs very well in all countries listed except India which is a blight on his career figures and England where he averages less than his career average.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
dass said:
seriously man, your ****** annoying. your a really biased person against anything non indian
when you've been on these forums long enough and have seen more posts then you can try to make comments like that without people laughing at you.

Admittedly I'm one of the most anti Indian and pro Aussie supporters here (I don't really care but, I'm from the country and that's the way I am).

Silent Striker's been one of the guys who quite regularly argues against my opinions so I pray that you tell me how that makes him anti-Indian.

adharcric

International Coach
Ponting by miles. Yousuf might be in great form, but against quality opposition in a pressure situation, I'd take Ponting any day. Against India, it would be close.

dass

Banned
Perm said:
Ricky Ponting
Australia 62.91
Pakistan 119.00
India 12.28
South Africa 65.70
England 42.63
Career 58.22

Mohammad Yousuf
Australia 33.00
Pakistan 59.66
India 34.27
South Africa 18.33
England 65.09
Career 54.39

In conclusion, Mohammad Yousuf has yet to prove himself in South Africa, aswell as India and Australia to an extent. Ponting on the other hand performs very well in all countries listed except India which is a blight on his career figures and England where he averages less than his career average.
He has only played 3 tests against south africa, and one of the tests was at the begining of his career i am preety sure if plays them more now he could prove himself

C_C

International Captain
As it stands today in alltime career stakes ( i dont care about 'current' that much- form is temporary, class is permanent in my books, once established) : Lara/Tendy, then Dravid, Ponting, Inzy, Gilly, Yousuf, Kallis, Jayawardene and Sangakkara - in that order.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting quite comfortably. Yousuf is in sublime form at the moment, no doubt about it, but he's not so flash when the going gets tough. Ponting, on the other hand... 156? :cool:

adharcric

International Coach
C_C said:
As it stands today in alltime career stakes ( i dont care about 'current' that much- form is temporary, class is permanent in my books, once established) : Lara/Tendy, then Dravid, Ponting, Inzy, Gilly, Yousuf, Kallis, Jayawardene and Sangakkara - in that order.
For me ...
Tendy/Lara, Ponting/Dravid, Kallis, Inzy, Hayden, Yousuf, Gilly, Jayawardene/Sehwag

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
For me ...
Tendy/Lara, Ponting/Dravid, Kallis, Inzy, Hayden, Yousuf, Gilly, Jayawardene/Sehwag
You speak the truth! Except I might put Gilly above Yousuf, but I can see it either way.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
dass said:
seriously man, your ****** annoying. your a really biased person against anything non indian

A) Ponting is not Indian, last time I checked.
B) Considering I only rate two Indian batsman, and one Indian bowler right now as being any good, your point is meaningless.

Over their careers:

1. Sachin
2. Lara
3. Ponting
4. Dravid
5. Kallis
6. Gilchrist
7. Inzamam
8. Hayden

Folks like Yousuf and Sehwag would come in after. Yousuf ahead of Sehwag though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Really, you can't compare two players over a dozen tests against different teams, but overall I don't really think it's a contest. Ponting quite comfortably.

I rate Ponting's recent run of form as probably the best I've ever seen from any player, largely because of the way he has made the runs, rather than just the numbers. Ponting made quite a few of his recent centuries in difficult conditions where other batsmen struggled to score. Most of the wickets Australia played South Africa on last summer were quite lively and the bowling wasn't bad, and Ponting scored five centuries in those tests. The one in Bangladesh was on a fairly difficult wicket as well, even though the bowling wasn't the best. Only the runs against the West Indies and England at Brisbane have been relatively easy. Ponting has had similar runs of form in the past, like the period where he scored a couple of double centuries against India and so on, but they were easier runs, generally speaking.

I haven't seen too many of the recent games Yousuf has played, just highlights and bits of the England series, but obviously he's been quite unstoppable as well. Both of them are in with a chance to break the record for the most centuries in a year, too.

Matt79

Global Moderator
shortpitched713 said:
Ponting hasn't proved himself in India.
who actually cares about that? He had a bad tour when he was starting out and was injured last time around. Do you seriously think he wouldn't score runs in India now?

R_D

International Debutant
Ponting my miles at the moment... Yousef is in great form but I'd take Ponting anyday.

Craig

World Traveller
Matt79 said:
who actually cares about that? He had a bad tour when he was starting out and was injured last time around. Do you seriously think he wouldn't score runs in India now?
And he has got runs in ODIs so it is not as though he can't bat there.

And why is scoring runs/taking wickets in India considered the be-all-end-all?

Slow Love™

International Captain
dass said:
Haha, bad call.

I'd take Ponting. Though that walking across the stumps early in the innings would have me biting my nails.

harrami

Cricket Spectator
Back to the question

No idea why people wander from the question of Ponting vs. Yousuf, but all irrelevance of answers such as where OTHER batsman rank etc etc - I think there are three main reasons Yousuf has not received the recognition or respect he deserves

1. He has been living under the shadows of Inzi
2. Even though he is classy by many subjective descriptions, he is still not flashy
3. A very ambivalent at best reaction to his name, appearance and religious change

Now all else aside - if i were to pick as of right now, i would go with yousuf. Yes Ponting has a richer past and is at par with Yousuf even now in terms of scoring, but how can you ignore a player who has been performing AND improving year after year - and lets face it, you can never neutralize effects such as bowler quality, rules and regulations, pitch conditions, health, opposition etc etc etc etc etc so the one factor you can go by is any given sunday, who is the man right now you would look to and say with out this guy, my team cannot win. Ponting is great, but i would challenge anyone who says that as a whole, the Australian team is more shaky in its performance than the Pakistani team. Yousuf has recently proven that day in and day out, the team may not perform at all, but there is one steady hand that will let lets the team latch on to in their chances of winning....