• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Is Easier To Improve... Your Technical Game or Your Mental Game

What Is Easier To Improve... Your Technical Game or Your Mental Game?

• Technical

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Mental

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Both are Very Easy!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
What Is Easier To Improve... Your Technical Game or Your Mental Game?

After delivering a furious overhand smash, to my surprise, had the ball returned with relative ease. My error... my overconfidence which resulted in me admiring the shot rather than anticipating its return. What does my dad say, "Don't ever try that again if you're not gonna be ready for its return."

But now let's rewind a good couple of years...

Fascinated by the installation of my new Table Tennis set, I couldn't wait to start my career as a TT player. My first opponent, my dad, it was only a man in his late 40s who played TT at a pretty decent level for a long time... How hard could that be? Jokes apart, I was petrified, being the competitive lil' brat I am, I couldn't wait to defeat my dad even though I knew it wasn't possible. But I was determined to try my best and play smart and defensive, nothing fancy, cuz' I knew my limitations. But the problem was my technique... I didn't know how to return a chop and nor could I execute a slice! In fact, I didn't even know what those were at that time. So it became literally impossible to defeat my dad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now the question lies, what is easier to improve IN CRICKET, your mental game or your technical game. Is it easier to improve the game of cricketers like Afridi and Sehwag, who have all the talent in the world and pretty good techniques, yet when it comes to the mental aspect, they have very little potential. Or is it easier to improve the game of cricketers that are very good mentally and very well composed, yet have numerous technical flaws ( no one coming to mind at the moment LOL ).

P.S. The only reason I used the example of TT was because not only was it the only one available but also because both our sports and this question can apply for all aspects of life. But I ask you this question for cricket only, mainly because this is a cricket forum.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There is also the third aspect, the physical.

For myself, the technical and the physical aspects were very easy to develop and came naturally. The mental aspect, well Im still struggling with that to this day.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Since when do Sehwag and Afridi have good techniques?
I know they don't have GREAT techniques but they have the potential too! And do in certain games reveal that potential. Sehwag in tests? And Afridi is perfectly capable of playing every shot in the book, it's just his mental make-up that doesn't allow him too.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Goughy said:
There is also the third aspect, the physical.

For myself, the technical and the physical aspects were very easy to develop and came naturally. The mental aspect, well Im still struggling with that to this day.
I have kinda mixed physical and technical together as you have too here... that's why I also listed Afridi and Sehwag as good in that aspect of the game yet weak mentally.

C_C

International Captain
Mental aspect is way harder than physical aspect, since as the saying goes, its all in your mind. Ofcourse, at the heighest level, you simply must have superior reflexes and skills than the average population to be an alltime legend but i think mental aspect, in general, is harder to conquer.

adharcric

International Coach
In general ... mental, then technical, then physical
At the highest level ... technical, then mental, then physical

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The mental part of your game is generally the hardest to improve, then the technical side which can be coached into you and then physical which would be the easiest.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah mental would be the hardest. The other two you just try harder and put in more time and effort. Mental on the other hand, not so straight forward.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Yeah, I think most people would struggle with the mental approach more. At least, In the sense of fixing a tendency or a problem in attitude or approach, if there's already an issue. (Some people start out with an excellent temperament and good judgement, so in those cases it would be different - and I think their other problems would be easier to remedy through repetition and training.)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
International cricketers are already born with certain physical tools, like reflexes, or powerful shoulders, that most of us don't have. So they have that.

Technical change is hard because once it has been coached into you a certain way, and then at the highest level you find a weakness - its very hard to correct that. Its more than mental, a lot of the things that cricketers do is reflex, and not conscious. So when a guy keep s looking like an idiot while playing the short ball, thats reflex more than anything.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I believe if you're well off technically, you'll eventually be well off mentally... and therefore I believe it is easier to correct mental flaws rather than technical ones.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
To fix your technique you require the mental skills to be able to change your instincts. Therefore I think the technical side is much harder. I voted that mental was easier but now I'm not so sure. I'm becoming an expert at making a start and then getting out and that rarely has anything to do with technical flaws.