• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup for Tests? discussions...World Test Series?

Mark any you agree with:

• Yes, there should be a test championship.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No, there shouldn't be a test championship

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • (If, then)World Test Series should be held every 8 years.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • (If, then)World Test Series should be held every 4 years.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • (If, then) Idea 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (If, then) Idea 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
There's three form of the sport cricket. Two of them have a championship but the most pure form doesnt. You probably figured out, it's test. Well the main reason it doesn't is because of time and you might not get a result.
Note: The ICC did put a test ranking system into affect but what if that is used to detemine seeds in a test championship. From 2013, every four/eight years there would a test championship. The ICC LG Test championship would determine the teams by calculating the ratings of all the matches for the four/eight years. The top two teams from the LG ranking would battle it out like it happens in college football (A.Football). Then after the test championship the ranking would start over. It would be kinda of like the Ashes except it wouldn't be australia and england everytime as they can move down the ranking.If the series is a draw/tie its a draw look at ODI if its a tie in the final its a tie only twenty20 has a tiebreaker. If the series is a draw/tie its a draw look at ODI if its a tie in the final its a tie only twenty20 has a tiebreaker, or have a points system which would be similar to the County cricket one.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
A series between the top two teams would probably be a more effective way...like, say...the Ashes.
I thought of it and had changed it but i think it is the easiest way to do it as it would just be a test series but with bit more value than your avarage series because the teams battle it out for the last to be determine who really is the best team(because the #1 & #2 team might not have played each other yet and even if they had the #2 team has a chance to take over the #1 spot and prove they are better now or vice versa) before the ranking system starts over. If the series is a draw/tie its a draw look at ODI if its a tie in the final its a tie only twenty20 has a tiebreaker

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
silentstriker said:
Why would it only take 40 days?
because 4 tests without being happening the same time is 20 days then ten days in the semifinals and 5 days for the final and 5 days break alltogether...i like idea 1 beter

LA ICE-E

State Captain
can any of the nice mods help me, i accidently forgot to mark the multi answer part in the poll. Can you make this poll a multi answer one please?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A tournament like this has a certain merit. However there are a number of reasons why caution should be observed.

20/20 cricket and Test cricket should never be mixed

How would it impact the importance of the traditional Test series and tours?

Would the tournament become so important that the future tours program was disolved and teams played far fewer tests? Therefore possibly hurting Test cricket rather than helping

Would there be enough time to prepare for local conditions prior to each game?

and there are many more.

Im sure most people that love cricket have thought of and drawn up something similar and it is not completely impractical. However, it would be a radical departure that may not be worth risking at the moment.

adharcric

International Coach
The Twenty20 part is truly lame. I can see why some would want to do this, but it's just a terrible idea.

ICC38

Cricket Spectator
you should just LEAVE the test alone and stay with your 1st idea of just giving a trophy to the no. 1 team in the ranking

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A series between the top two teams would probably be a more effective way...like, say...the Ashes.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not a bad idea really but I can't see it ever happening, the time would take too long and whilst this sort of thing is going on the teams should be touring opposition countries. Too me, I think a World XI, no matter how badly they played last time should become a regular event every 4 or 5 years to play the top side in the world at that stage. That would be better than a test championship where draws and scheduling just becomes too difficult.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Perm said:
It's not a bad idea really but I can't see it ever happening, the time would take too long and whilst this sort of thing is going on the teams should be touring opposition countries. Too me, I think a World XI, no matter how badly they played last time should become a regular event every 4 or 5 years to play the top side in the world at that stage. That would be better than a test championship where draws and scheduling just becomes too difficult.
i dont think that was a good idea because you can't just put the best guys in the world in one team and expect them to win without playing with each other before and plus that doesn't have any real value as its not a country being represented there.just not good idea to me

LA ICE-E

State Captain
_Ed_ said:
I thought of it and had changed it but i think it is the easiest way to do it as it would just be a test series but with bit more value than your avarage series because the teams battle it out for the last to be determine who really is the best team(because the #1 & #2 team might not have played each other yet and even if they had the #2 team has a chance to take over the #1 spot and prove they are better now or vice versa) before the ranking system starts over. If the series is a draw/tie its a draw look at ODI if its a tie in the final its a tie only twenty20 has a tiebreaker

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
As far as draws go, 20/20 should NEVER be a way to decide anything. Instead, I wouldn't mind having a points system which would be similar to the County cricket one.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
nightprowler10 said:
As far as draws go, 20/20 should NEVER be a way to decide anything. Instead, I wouldn't mind having a points system which would be similar to the County cricket one.
yeah i agree now...i was thinking about a bowlout but thats not test thats still 20/20 so it would just left as a draw as in any test series or it would be decided in points system

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
The test championship should be decided over a long period of time, if one team dominates over 4 years and there's a huge points gap between them and second place the second place team could suddenly come out and win the series and suddenly they're the world champs, despite not deserving it in the long run. Idealy the FTP should run over a certain number of years and at the end of the FTP the top side is crowned champions and then everything starts all over again.

But why crown anyone? Can't we just call the team at the top of the rankings the best side in the world?