• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gay cricketers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Could potentially be a serious thread. Doubt it though.

There's probably one or two, but professional sport isn't the most forgiving occupation for an "out" gay man, one wouldn't think.

Female cricketers, though...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:

There's probably one or two, but professional sport isn't the most forgiving occupation for an "out" gay man, one wouldn't think.

:naughty:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The unfortunate reality is that if a man came out as being gay in a game such as American football, he'd likely have his knees taken out in training camp by one of his teammates before he even made it to the regular season.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FaaipDeOiad said:

Not doubting that it could be a serious thread, but I still don't think it's the business of the public unless the cricketer explicitly makes it so.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
The unfortunate reality is that if a man came out as being gay in a game such as American football, he'd likely have his knees taken out in training camp by one of his teammates before he even made it to the regular season.
I'm sure that's true in many cases, but there have out gay men in fairly "manly" sports before. Someone who follows rugby league will know his name, but there was a pretty well known and successful gay player in the NRL in the 90s. I'm sure he dealt with a lot of crap over it, but it didn't prevent him from getting a place in the team or anything.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm sure that's true in many cases, but there have out gay men in fairly "manly" sports before. Someone who follows rugby league will know his name, but there was a pretty well known and successful gay player in the NRL in the 90s. I'm sure he dealt with a lot of crap over it, but it didn't prevent him from getting a place in the team or anything.
Most gay athletes only "come out" at the tail-end of their careers or after they've retired though, so it's really a case of the exceptions and the rule. I'm fine with a discussion of homosexuality in sport, but I don't think we should take the route of investigation as to who is gay and who is not.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yea, but if I am professional sports player making a good amount of money, I am not going to risk that, and potentially my career or serious injury, by coming out during my playing days.

After I retire, then I might.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Most gay athletes only "come out" at the tail-end of their careers or after they've retired though, so it's really a case of the exceptions and the rule. I'm fine with a discussion of homosexuality in sport, but I don't think we should take the route of investigation as to who is gay and who is not.
Which athletes are gay? I want my fast bowlers to be all man tbh..

Nishant

International 12th Man
Why is the thread starter so interested in the topic? IMO, i doubt the gays would 'come oput with it anyway'....but seriously, its their business after all, and not ours ( for the straights amongst us !)

Status
Not open for further replies.