Thread: People being pigeon holed at certain positions

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar

People being pigeon holed at certain positions

A person on another board raised an interesting point, which I'd like to get some opinions on here.

With Phil Jaques in super form at the moment, after hitting two tons against the English and piling on runs in England and Australia, I'm not sure that preventing him from getting a game 'because he's an opener' is the right call.

Shane Watson gets injured, and Michael Clarke comes in, someone who hasn't exactly been banging down the door for a test spot like Jaques has.

So what do the other CW members think? Is it wrong for batsmen to be pigeon holed as a certain type of player, when they are clearly the next best thing?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    The question is if Michael Clarke is still being considered an allrounder. I think he is. I read somewhere that he was battling with Andrew Symonds and Shane Watson for the six spot, so I gather that's because the selectors think he's an allrounder.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    I would hope that Clarke is being selected and not because he can bowl a bit. They said Symonds was selected as a batsman and his bowling was just a bonus.

The other option is, of course, for Jaques to bat down at four or six for a couple of games at state level to try and prove he can make runs there. Katich moved to the top to get a one day spot for Australia, and while Jaques is dominating at the top, NSW may have to think of his interests here.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Meh. If you can make runs opening, you can make runs in the middle order.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Meh. If you can make runs opening, you can make runs in the middle order.
    You should be able to. But that doesn't mean you can.

Some batsmen can, some can't. Gooch and Gibbs wre middle-order players who became Test openers, Mike Hussey is a very good example of someone who went from opener to middle-order while Vaughan and Alec stewart seemed to bat everywhere for England! But some can't - in 1974 the England selectors had the brainwave of putting G Boycott at No 4 in a Test in the Windies and Geoff wrote in his autobiography "that batting down the order in a Test was not for me" and before the next Test he said "I'm opening. Let's sort out the rest of the order". Mind you that doesn't sound like Geoffrey...
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    You should be able to. But that doesn't mean you can.
    Exactly. Some people may not play the spinners as well either, so opening might be where they could score the most.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Michael Clarke scored heavily in First Class cricket when he was dropped from the test side and that is really all the opportunity he has had in the longer version of the game. I hope he is not considered as an all-rounder but primarily a batsman, who may turn his arm over if required and if conditions suit. A bit like Kevin Pietersen or Graeme Smith for want of a better example.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Thread Information