Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Jeff Thomson have been the greatest?

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar

Could Jeff Thomson have been the greatest?

Jeff Thomson took 200 wkts at 28.00 in 51 Tests. If you just consider these stats, it looks a pretty ordinary career compared to Lillee, Hadlee, Imran, Ambrose, Walsh & Marshall.

However, if you remove his first Test in 1972 in which he took 0-110 off 19 overs (he played with a broken foot but didn’t tell anyone in case he got dropped), and only consider his career before he had the sickening collision with Turner in 1976, he had the following record:

15 Tests, 78 wkts @ 24.10 (5/0), SR 46.8

After his pace reducing shoulder injury, his record was:

35 Tests, 122 wkts @ 29.59 (3/0), SR 55.1

Is it fair to say that Jeff Thomson would have been one of the greatest bowlers ever if not for this unfortunate accident when he was only 26?

Some quotes about Thomson:

"He frightened me, and I was sitting 200 yards away" (Keith Miller)

“Thomson's raw pace had left nerves shattered”

“Thomson struck Lloyd so hard in the groin that his protective box was turned inside out”

“Denness noted Lloyd's reaction when he returned to the dressing room after one innings. Within seconds his body was quivering. His neck and the top half of his body in particular were shaking. He was shell-shocked.”

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    One of the greatest ever? Yea, possibly. But really, it wasn't ever going to happen. For example, Waqar Younis:

In his first 33 matches had 190 wickets at 19.15. At a ridiculous and amazing strike rate of 36 and 5.75 wickets per test. He could have been the best ever. The problem is with guys like that, is that its almost inevitable that they get injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    The problem is with guys like that, is that its almost inevitable that they get injured.
    Yeah but in Thomson's case it was an accident rather than a bowling injury; either way same result though I guess.

btw, I didn't know Younis had such an awsome record up to his 33d Test

Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic
    Yeah but in Thomson's case it was an accident rather than a bowling injury; either way same result though I guess.

btw, I didn't know Younis had such an awsome record up to his 33d Test
    Yea, I know. But he only played 51 tests, and I am not even sure he could have played all of those without a serious injury occurring and messing up his speed even if his accident hadn't occurred.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Waqar was great. His record was incredible.

Thommo is more of a best selling novel rather than a literary masterpiece. He was without the craft and subtlety of an artist but possessed the rip roaring excitement of an airport book.

Popular and dynamic describe Thommo. Alltime great is probably too far a stretch.

I know it has been posted before but here is a link that shows how much quicker Thommo was than his peers even after the injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPDW7hj1yfs

A special talent
    Last edited by Goughy; 20-11-2006 at 11:51 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Maybe "the greatest" was a bit much and I should have asked could he have been the "most feared bowler of all time" (if he doesn't have that honour already). btw, I saw Thomo bowl in 1981 and I shudder to think how fast he was pre-injury in 1975-76.

Hmm, I am a little bit underwhelmed at that link. It looks like most were in mid to upper 130's...which is not really even all that fast. Thommo was fast, but he was the only one that really went past 90mph (and not much faster at that).

I mean, I've seen Sreesanth bowl a ball at 143kph....(though he is usually in the mid 130's)

No one bowled a single delivery in the 150's...

Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic
    Maybe "the greatest" was a bit much and I should have asked could he have been the "most feared bowler of all time" (if he doesn't have that honour already). btw, I saw Thomo bowl in 1981 and I shudder to think how fast he was pre-injury in 1975-76.
    Well, he might have been the fastest bowler of all time...which could be translated into the most feared. Especially in the pre-helmet era.

Hmm, I am a little bit underwhelmed at that link. It looks like most were in mid to upper 130's...which is not really even all that fast. Thommo was fast, but he was the only one that really went past 90mph (and not much faster at that).

I mean, I've seen Sreesanth bowl a ball at 143kph....(though he is usually in the mid 130's)

Yeah I think the speeds in that link are way off ... or else Agarkar would've been express in that era.

International Captain
    For the two home series against England and West Indies in the mid-70's he was the most feared bowler, mainly because of his slinging action and erratic deliveries. When he arrived in England for the World Cup in 1975 he at times sprayed the ball all over the place. He bowled one spell a bit later against the full West Indies side for a packerless Australian side in the West Indies that many think was the fastest ever spell of bowling. Sadly his peak was too short, he was very average in the 1982/83 series and by the time he came to England in 1985 he'd lost his pace and didn't play in all the Tests.
    For those 2 years he was as fast, though not as accurate, as anyone in history.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson
    For the two home series against England and West Indies in the mid-70's he was the most feared bowler, mainly because of his slinging action and erratic deliveries. When he arrived in England for the World Cup in 1975 he at times sprayed the ball all over the place. He bowled one spell a bit later against the full West Indies side for a packerless Australian side in the West Indies that many think was the fastest ever spell of bowling. Sadly his peak was too short, he was very average in the 1982/83 series and by the time he came to England in 1985 he'd lost his pace and didn't play in all the Tests.
    For those 2 years he was as fast, though not as accurate, as anyone in history.
    I watched him as a kid in both the 1974/75 and 75/76 series and as an 11yo he was the fastest thing I had ever watched, and I still think that true 30 years later.

I thought he bowled well in the 82/83 series But past his best by 1985
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    He could have been good, but not great I don't think. With an action like that he was always going to get a few injuries along the way that would have limited his potential. Definately one of the most feared bowlers ever though.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm
    He could have been good, but not great I don't think. With an action like that he was always going to get a few injuries along the way that would have limited his potential. Definately one of the most feared bowlers ever though.
    Not really - had almost the perfect bowling action

Try it for yourself, it hardly puts any strain on the body

In those days, they calculated speed differently.

They measured time taken for ball to travel 22 yards, then calculated average speed.

Nowadays, it's speed at a point measured few feet from release, i.e. maximum speed

I've no idea where he got the info from but Geoff Lawson claims that, using the latter, Thomson bowled at over 170 ks during 75/76

Saw Thomson play pre-injury, and although I was only about 10, it looked frightening - still have a tape of him bowling to Zaheer Abbas in the test match where he was injured and Abbas was literally playing every ball from a foot or 2 outside leg stump.

Played at Bankstown Oval (home of the Waughs, etc and Thommo's home ground before he moved to Brisbane).

It's the same size as the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Site screens sat on top of boundary fence at either end.

Thomson, in 73/74, on one occasion, bowled a bouncer which after pitching, hit the screen on the full.

Quote Originally Posted by social
    In those days, they calculated speed differently.

They measured time taken for ball to travel 22 yards, then calculated average speed.

Nowadays, it's speed at a point measured few feet from release, i.e. maximum speed

I've no idea where he got the info from but Geoff Lawson claims that, using the latter, Thomson bowled at over 170 ks during 75/76

Saw Thomson play pre-injury, and although I was only about 10, it looked frightening - still have a tape of him bowling to Zaheer Abbas in the test match where he was injured and Abbas was literally playing every ball from a foot or 2 outside leg stump.

Played at Bankstown Oval (home of the Waughs, etc and Thommo's home ground before he moved to Brisbane).

It's the same size as the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Site screens sat on top of boundary fence at either end.

Thomson, in 73/74, on one occasion, bowled a bouncer which after pitching, hit the screen on the full.
    170kph is over 105 mph. Thats faster than the fastest baseball delivery every bowled. That is extremely hard to believe.

Note: I am not disputing that he was fast, by all accounts he was probably the fastest ever. But 105mph is a bit over the top. I would say he might have bowled 155kph consistently, which is unbelievably fast.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information