• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Jeff Thomson have been the greatest?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Jeff Thomson took 200 wkts at 28.00 in 51 Tests. If you just consider these stats, it looks a pretty ordinary career compared to Lillee, Hadlee, Imran, Ambrose, Walsh & Marshall.

However, if you remove his first Test in 1972 in which he took 0-110 off 19 overs (he played with a broken foot but didn’t tell anyone in case he got dropped), and only consider his career before he had the sickening collision with Turner in 1976, he had the following record:

15 Tests, 78 wkts @ 24.10 (5/0), SR 46.8

After his pace reducing shoulder injury, his record was:

35 Tests, 122 wkts @ 29.59 (3/0), SR 55.1

Is it fair to say that Jeff Thomson would have been one of the greatest bowlers ever if not for this unfortunate accident when he was only 26?

Some quotes about Thomson:

"He frightened me, and I was sitting 200 yards away" (Keith Miller)

“Thomson's raw pace had left nerves shattered”

“Thomson struck Lloyd so hard in the groin that his protective box was turned inside out”

“Denness noted Lloyd's reaction when he returned to the dressing room after one innings. Within seconds his body was quivering. His neck and the top half of his body in particular were shaking. He was shell-shocked.”

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One of the greatest ever? Yea, possibly. But really, it wasn't ever going to happen. For example, Waqar Younis:

In his first 33 matches had 190 wickets at 19.15. At a ridiculous and amazing strike rate of 36 and 5.75 wickets per test. He could have been the best ever. The problem is with guys like that, is that its almost inevitable that they get injured.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
The problem is with guys like that, is that its almost inevitable that they get injured.
Yeah but in Thomson's case it was an accident rather than a bowling injury; either way same result though I guess.

btw, I didn't know Younis had such an awsome record up to his 33d Test :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Yeah but in Thomson's case it was an accident rather than a bowling injury; either way same result though I guess.

btw, I didn't know Younis had such an awsome record up to his 33d Test :)
Yea, I know. But he only played 51 tests, and I am not even sure he could have played all of those without a serious injury occurring and messing up his speed even if his accident hadn't occurred.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Waqar was great. His record was incredible.

Thommo is more of a best selling novel rather than a literary masterpiece. He was without the craft and subtlety of an artist but possessed the rip roaring excitement of an airport book.

Popular and dynamic describe Thommo. Alltime great is probably too far a stretch.

I know it has been posted before but here is a link that shows how much quicker Thommo was than his peers even after the injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPDW7hj1yfs

A special talent

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Maybe "the greatest" was a bit much and I should have asked could he have been the "most feared bowler of all time" (if he doesn't have that honour already). btw, I saw Thomo bowl in 1981 and I shudder to think how fast he was pre-injury in 1975-76.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hmm, I am a little bit underwhelmed at that link. It looks like most were in mid to upper 130's...which is not really even all that fast. Thommo was fast, but he was the only one that really went past 90mph (and not much faster at that).

I mean, I've seen Sreesanth bowl a ball at 143kph....(though he is usually in the mid 130's)

No one bowled a single delivery in the 150's...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Maybe "the greatest" was a bit much and I should have asked could he have been the "most feared bowler of all time" (if he doesn't have that honour already). btw, I saw Thomo bowl in 1981 and I shudder to think how fast he was pre-injury in 1975-76.
Well, he might have been the fastest bowler of all time...which could be translated into the most feared. Especially in the pre-helmet era.

adharcric

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Hmm, I am a little bit underwhelmed at that link. It looks like most were in mid to upper 130's...which is not really even all that fast. Thommo was fast, but he was the only one that really went past 90mph (and not much faster at that).

I mean, I've seen Sreesanth bowl a ball at 143kph....(though he is usually in the mid 130's)

Yeah I think the speeds in that link are way off ... or else Agarkar would've been express in that era.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
For the two home series against England and West Indies in the mid-70's he was the most feared bowler, mainly because of his slinging action and erratic deliveries. When he arrived in England for the World Cup in 1975 he at times sprayed the ball all over the place. He bowled one spell a bit later against the full West Indies side for a packerless Australian side in the West Indies that many think was the fastest ever spell of bowling. Sadly his peak was too short, he was very average in the 1982/83 series and by the time he came to England in 1985 he'd lost his pace and didn't play in all the Tests.
For those 2 years he was as fast, though not as accurate, as anyone in history.

archie mac

International Coach
Lillian Thomson said:
For the two home series against England and West Indies in the mid-70's he was the most feared bowler, mainly because of his slinging action and erratic deliveries. When he arrived in England for the World Cup in 1975 he at times sprayed the ball all over the place. He bowled one spell a bit later against the full West Indies side for a packerless Australian side in the West Indies that many think was the fastest ever spell of bowling. Sadly his peak was too short, he was very average in the 1982/83 series and by the time he came to England in 1985 he'd lost his pace and didn't play in all the Tests.
For those 2 years he was as fast, though not as accurate, as anyone in history.
I watched him as a kid in both the 1974/75 and 75/76 series and as an 11yo he was the fastest thing I had ever watched, and I still think that true 30 years later.

I thought he bowled well in the 82/83 series :) But past his best by 1985

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He could have been good, but not great I don't think. With an action like that he was always going to get a few injuries along the way that would have limited his potential. Definately one of the most feared bowlers ever though.

social

Perm said:
He could have been good, but not great I don't think. With an action like that he was always going to get a few injuries along the way that would have limited his potential. Definately one of the most feared bowlers ever though.
Not really - had almost the perfect bowling action

Try it for yourself, it hardly puts any strain on the body

social

silentstriker said:

In those days, they calculated speed differently.

They measured time taken for ball to travel 22 yards, then calculated average speed.

Nowadays, it's speed at a point measured few feet from release, i.e. maximum speed

I've no idea where he got the info from but Geoff Lawson claims that, using the latter, Thomson bowled at over 170 ks during 75/76

Saw Thomson play pre-injury, and although I was only about 10, it looked frightening - still have a tape of him bowling to Zaheer Abbas in the test match where he was injured and Abbas was literally playing every ball from a foot or 2 outside leg stump.

Played at Bankstown Oval (home of the Waughs, etc and Thommo's home ground before he moved to Brisbane).

It's the same size as the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Site screens sat on top of boundary fence at either end.

Thomson, in 73/74, on one occasion, bowled a bouncer which after pitching, hit the screen on the full.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
social said:
In those days, they calculated speed differently.

They measured time taken for ball to travel 22 yards, then calculated average speed.

Nowadays, it's speed at a point measured few feet from release, i.e. maximum speed

I've no idea where he got the info from but Geoff Lawson claims that, using the latter, Thomson bowled at over 170 ks during 75/76

Saw Thomson play pre-injury, and although I was only about 10, it looked frightening - still have a tape of him bowling to Zaheer Abbas in the test match where he was injured and Abbas was literally playing every ball from a foot or 2 outside leg stump.

Played at Bankstown Oval (home of the Waughs, etc and Thommo's home ground before he moved to Brisbane).

It's the same size as the Sydney Cricket Ground.

Site screens sat on top of boundary fence at either end.

Thomson, in 73/74, on one occasion, bowled a bouncer which after pitching, hit the screen on the full.
170kph is over 105 mph. Thats faster than the fastest baseball delivery every bowled. That is extremely hard to believe.

Note: I am not disputing that he was fast, by all accounts he was probably the fastest ever. But 105mph is a bit over the top. I would say he might have bowled 155kph consistently, which is unbelievably fast.

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
170kph is over 105 mph. Thats faster than the fastest baseball delivery every bowled. That is extremely hard to believe.

Note: I am not disputing that he was fast, by all accounts he was probably the fastest ever. But 105mph is a bit over the top. I would say he might have bowled 155kph consistently, which is unbelievably fast.
From the Wikipedia:

"his fastest ever timed was 160.45 kph using high speed cameras that are more accurate than the current-day speed guns. He routinely bowled over 145 kph and terrorised batsmen with his blistering speed"

And

"Clive Lloyd, who has seen his share of speed merchants from his playing days and current stint as an umpire, said that he still regards Thomson as the fastest bowler he has ever seen"

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
From the Wikipedia:

"his fastest ever timed was 160.45 kph using high speed cameras that are more accurate than the current-day speed guns. He routinely bowled over 145 kph and terrorised batsmen with his blistering speed"

And

"Clive Lloyd, who has seen his share of speed merchants from his playing days and current stint as an umpire, said that he still regards Thomson as the fastest bowler he has ever seen"

160 kph at his fastest, and routinely 145+kph is a believable number and one I have no problem with. 170kph is not believable.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie tragic said:
From the Wikipedia:

And

Oh yes the ever trusty wikipedia!

Would you believe it when it talks about Clive Lloyd's umpiring stint (not to mention the belief that the high speed cameras are more accurate than modern speed guns!)

Matt79

Global Moderator
He was by all accounts certainly one of the very fastest, if not the absolute fastest bowler in the history of cricket before his injury - I have no problem believing he was at least as fast as Shoiab, if not slightly faster. More than that, he combined it with a genuine nastiness (as a bowler, not a human being) and desire to hit batsmen that must have made him one helluva lot of fun to face up to. Probably the most feared, along with maybe Larwood and Andy Roberts.

He would never have been the greatest however - he's commonly agreed to have lacked the smarts or desire to learn those smarts that Lillee or other great bowlers showed - there's Chappelli's oft-repeated anecdote about how one time when Thommo was struggling with a dead pitch, he suggest Jeff talk to Lillee about how Lillee bowled on such pitches, in terms of lines and length and working with variations of speed etc. Thommo's response "aw mate, I'll just shuffle up and go whang if you don't mind".

Last edited: