• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Jeff Thomson have been the greatest?

Matt79

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
Because technology has moved on a tad since that day?
Wasn't aware of any new principles of high speed photography in the last thirty years. My point was that there's no reason to say that a measurement using high speed photography, with the big proviso that the test was properly set up, wouldn't be at least as accurate as a measurement by some guy with a hand held radar gun.

By properly set up, I mean that the camera is correctly positioned, it is being done with clear reference points to allow you to accurately measure the distance the ball has travelled from frame to frame, and you are using equipment where the time interval from frame to frame can be reliably calibrated. That would give you a distance/time measurement that would produce a highly accurate speed reading.

The radar gun is probably as effective, and certainly more flexible, but not necessarily more accurate.

Slow Love™

International Captain
archie mac said:
Thanks for that, just confirms him as one of the bravest men to ever pick up a bat. His bio says it all "I don't bruise easily"
Good grief, only C_C could spin this into Close being "humiliated". Substitute the word "humiliate" with "torture", and it'd probably be reasonable enough. I'd like to see most batsmen subjected to that kind of bowling in such a protracted manner without the physical protection of today's cricketers. The poms were 500-odd behind, and the best Close and Edrich could do was occupy the crease. (I think they might have even top-scored that innings.)

Even Lloyd acknowledged that his bowlers simply lost the plot. It's a pity he didn't do anything about it at the time though. Yes, it's fearsome fast bowling, but watching the footage Faaip posted (I'd never seen it, though I'd read about it) makes me respect Close rather than feeling any pity for him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
C_C said:
Only because Close had this certain machismo about never acknowledging a wound or rubbing a bruise - even when hobbling.
Thats called bravery and taking on physical harm for your team instead of lashing out, and giving away your wicket. That would be the punk way out. Awesome innings, amazingly brave.

Holding should have been reigned in there, it really looked like he was targetting the player's body.

That video makes me gain respect for Close, and lose some for some of the WI bowlers.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
And you can say that a 100 times but it still wont change the fact that its humiliating when you are caught totally out of your depth.
Yes, and if that were the case, you'd have a point...

bagapath

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Humilation only comes with backing away.
yeap. only when you give up your selft respect and will to win to admit that the opponent was better than you in every way and that you are not good enough to stand up to him. brian close's innings was far from that. it was not a match winning or even a match saving innings. and he didnt light up the ground with laraesque strokes. what he did was he refused to trade his wicket for physical safety. he made it a point to let the west indians know that brute force alone could not make him surrender to them. hats off to that guy. not a pretty knock but definitely admirable. that is real guts.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Another great quote on Thommo, this time from Rod Marsh after a WA vs Qld game:

"Frighteningly quick!" he said. "He bowled me a death ball. All the right-handers had been having terrible problems against him, but I seemed to be OK because his angle took the ball away from me and I could slash him over the slips. Then he aimed a short ball at the leg stump. It flew up towards my face and, I kid you not, it slammed into the middle of the bat handle right in front of my eyes!"'

Considering no helmuts then, I bet Rodney had a few beers after that one :)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
To anyone who doubts the courage or bollocks of Brian Close and John Edrich.

My guess is, is that you really hae no idea what it is like to face Holding, Garner and the rest, bowling at 95mph, with no helmet and at 35+ years of age. That was without doubt one of the bravest innings' I've ever seen. He showed tremendous courage by sticking with it, and not throwing it in. Brian Close is balls personified.

archie mac

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
To anyone who doubts the courage or bollocks of Brian Close and John Edrich.

My guess is, is that you really hae no idea what it is like to face Holding, Garner and the rest, bowling at 95mph, with no helmet and at 35+ years of age. That was without doubt one of the bravest innings' I've ever seen. He showed tremendous courage by sticking with it, and not throwing it in. Brian Close is balls personified.
Who are you quoting mate? :)