• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

favourite bowler during the 90's

Beleg

International Regular
now I am not talking about the 'best' bowler. Which bowler did you loved watching during the 90's?

Saqlain Mushtaq was probably my favourite bowler. I used to love his death bowling; Saqlain and Wasim bowling in tandem at the death overs are some of my most memorable cricketing memories.

Gavin Larsen was another favourite of mine. I liked his unthreatening run-up and his neat, methodical, almost quaint approach to playing cricket. He was a pretty good run-stopper too, for a dibbly dobbler.

Wasim Akram. There were many in Pakistan who didn't like him, many loved to criticize him for stuff ranging from marrying a girl in a very unconvential style to ruining the career of Waqar Younis - in any case, there's no doubt in mind that for most of the late nineties, he was the most famous person in Pakistan. even women who didn't follow cricket at all usually knew his name and/or some fact/rumor about him.

Donald was my favourite bowler in the world after wasim and saqlain. In many ways, I have to say he's the best pacer I have ever seen. great attitude, great character, quick bowling and using his brain - for several years he was my cricketing hero. I used to hate the fact that Pakistan lost to SA so much during the late 90's, however, watching donald bowl allieviated some of the pain.

Paul Strang - quite an enigmatic fellow, but then most leg spinners are. On his day he was capable of creating real havoc. I love his run up, specially at the delivery point and for many moons copied it myself.

Robin Singh, Greg Matthews, Craig McDermott and Steve Eleworthy were some other bowlers who I liked watching for a variety of reasons.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ambrose was definitely my favourite as I grew up watching him. My first major memories of cricket were the WI being down here in Aus sometime in the 90s.

After him I was always a huge fan of Waqar and Saqlain. Warne was to me, as he was to almost every young Aussie kid in the 90s, inspirational and intriguing so he'd be up there too.

FRAZ

International Captain
90's was brightened in the end by my star Shoaib Akhtar (bound by the social boundries)!!
Otherwise I will stick with Waqar Younis, Donald , Eddo Brandes etc !!!
Edited and please don't kill me for this !!!

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FRAZ said:
90's was brightened in the end by my star Shoaib Akhtar (bound by the social boundries)!!
Otherwise I will stick with Rahul Dravid , Waqar Younis , Moin Khan , Steve Waugh , Mark Waugh , Donald , Eddo Brandes etc !!!
To be honest, I used to love watching the Waughs bowl too.

I've never been fortunate enough to see Moin Khan or Rahul Dravid bowl, though.

FRAZ

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
To be honest, I used to love watching the Waughs bowl too.

I've never been fortunate enough to see Moin Khan or Rahul Dravid bowl, though.
Holy !! So many threads these days . I thought meant the stars of 90's . Dang it , I am always too quick just like Shoaib . Let me edit ....

FRAZ

International Captain
Beleg said:
Fraz: off-tpic but what's the deal with the GMAT? :p
Took it 3 months ago and scored very badly ! Mathematical portion gave me 35th percentile . Verbal gave me **** load of percentile and the analytical writing portion gave me 90th percentile with 5.5/6 . I think the computer was blind or my writing power is just superb . Whoever starts reading my paragraph-less intellectual brilliance , he/she just gets lost in it !!!
I scored so badly that only some American universities or some cold Arse places of Canada are willing to give me admission !! And I was so under pressure to start Uni again (by some new relatives ) That I had to send them my progress of education by means of pictures every weekend !!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
Robin Singh, Greg Matthews, Craig McDermott and Steve Eleworthy were some other bowlers who I liked watching for a variety of reasons.
really!!!??? why was he among your favourites?:)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I always used to love watching Shane Warne bowl, he was just so good. The things that Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis could do used to amaze me aswell.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Geoff Allott - would have been in the top 5 bowlers in NZ history if he hadn't been so injury-prone IMO.