Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Rank the teams on competitive ability away from home

  1. #1
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150

    Rank the teams on competitive ability away from home

    My Ranking (from best to worst)
    1) Australia
    2) England
    3) Pakistan
    4) India
    5) South Africa
    6) Sri Lanka
    7) New Zealand
    8) West Indies.

  2. #2
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    South Africa is better than India away. India won their first series outside the subcontinent in 20 years just this year against WI.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #3
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    South Africa is better than India away. India won their first series outside the subcontinent in 20 years just this year against WI.

    Pretty marginal difference between the two teams imo.
    In the last five years, SOuth AFrica too have only scored 2 away series win ...both against The Windies in 2001 and 2005. India have 2 ...against Pakistan and the West Indies.
    South Africa got a 1-1 draw in NZL in 2004 whereas India got beaten 2-0 in 2002 but SAffies were hammered 3-0 in Australia but India got a draw in 2003-2004 and remain the only team to have won a 'live' test in Australia this decade.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamuddin
    My Ranking (from best to worst)
    1) Australia
    2) England
    3) Pakistan
    4) India
    5) South Africa
    6) Sri Lanka
    7) New Zealand
    8) West Indies.
    What are you basing the rankings on?

    If I have time Ill look at the combined records for each team in their last series away against each other nation.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net


  5. #5
    International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Lakemba, Sydney
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    What are you basing the rankings on?

    If I have time Ill look at the combined records for each team in their last series away against each other nation.
    Memory.....

    But Re: RSA and INdia , I belive thsese are the results of the teams against others way from home in their last series.

    RSA:
    V Aus: 0-3
    v PAK : 0-1
    v ENG : 2-2
    v NZL: 1-1
    v WI: 2-0
    v SL: 0-2
    v IND: 0-1

    W 5 Lost 9

    INdia:
    v AUS: 1-1
    v PAK: 0-1
    v ENG: 1-1
    v NZL: 0-2
    v WI: 1-0
    v SL: 1-2
    v SAF 0-1

    W 4 : Lost 8

    So I was right, the difference is marginal....

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,083
    Yep, the difference between India and SA is marginal.

    Based on last away series against each of the other major 7 nations

    Win %
    Aus 68.00%
    Eng 30.77%
    SA 23.81%
    Pak 22.22%
    India 18.18%
    Sri 12.50%
    NZ 6.67%
    WI 0.00%

    Loss %
    Aus 16.00%
    India 36.36%
    Eng 38.46%
    SA 42.86%
    NZ 53.33%
    Pak 55.56%
    Sri 56.25%
    WI 85.00%

    In Ranked Order

    1. Aus - By a mile
    2. Eng - Clear 2nd
    3. 4. SA/India - Too close to call
    5. Pak
    6. Sri - Above NZ for better win record
    7. NZ
    8. West Indies - Clear last without an away win
    Last edited by Goughy; 19-11-2006 at 06:11 PM.

  7. #7
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Yep, the difference between India and SA is marginal.

    Based on last away series against each of the other major 7 nations

    Win %
    Aus 68.00%
    Eng 30.77%
    SA 23.81%
    Pak 22.22%
    India 18.18%
    Sri 12.50%
    NZ 6.67%
    WI 0.00%

    Loss %
    Aus 16.00%
    India 36.36%
    Eng 38.46%
    SA 42.86%
    NZ 53.33%
    Pak 55.56%
    Sri 56.25%
    WI 85.00%

    In Ranked Order

    1. Aus - By a mile
    2. Eng - Clear 2nd
    3. 4. SA/India - To close to call
    5. Pak
    6. Sri - Above NZ for better win record
    7. NZ
    8. West Indies - Clear last without an away win
    Are you counting test wins or series wins? I'm a bit surprised actually that India is the 3rd/4th best away team? Seems odd to me.

    Can you expand that to the last two series away per country? Just to get a slightly better idea over a longer period?

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,083
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Are you counting test wins or series wins? I'm a bit surprised actually that India is the 3rd/4th best away team? Seems odd to me.
    Sorry, I should have explained.

    Its on a per test basis, not on a series basis.

    India benefit from being hard to beat.

  9. #9
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Sorry, I should have explained.

    Its on a per test basis, not on a series basis.

    India benefit from being hard to beat.
    Can you run it for the last two series against each of the top nations instead of one? To get a slightly better sample?

    Unless its a lot of work for you.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,083
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Can you run it for the last two series against each of the top nations instead of one? To get a slightly better sample?

    Unless its a lot of work for you.
    Its 3.10 am here. Maybe tomorrow

  11. #11
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,117
    Maybe you've got to question the relevance to current sides of what happened two tours ago, as well...

  12. #12
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Maybe you've got to question the relevance to current sides of what happened two tours ago, as well...
    Well a lot of countries have been historically a certain way. And besides the period is what 5 years anyway? Every side five years ago is probably dramatically different from the side now.

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Can't believe Sri Lanka is not last.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

  14. #14
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,811
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00
    Can't believe Sri Lanka is not last.
    They just drew a series with the 2nd best side in the world playing away!

  15. #15
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,888
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Are you counting test wins or series wins? I'm a bit surprised actually that India is the 3rd/4th best away team? Seems odd to me.

    Can you expand that to the last two series away per country? Just to get a slightly better idea over a longer period?
    The reason you're surprised is because of the stereotype you endorse.

    India are far from awesome away from home, but they're no easy-beats, that's for sure.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fm 2007
    By bugssy in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 02:41 AM
  2. Rank the following spinners in terms of ability
    By Salamuddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 13-11-2006, 09:47 PM
  3. Has the 'world cup' too many teams?
    By Truekiwijoker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 30-01-2006, 06:48 AM
  4. Form Rankings for Teams
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 20-10-2004, 04:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •