• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the teams on competitive ability away from home

Salamuddin

International Debutant
My Ranking (from best to worst)
1) Australia
2) England
3) Pakistan
4) India
5) South Africa
6) Sri Lanka
7) New Zealand
8) West Indies.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
South Africa is better than India away. India won their first series outside the subcontinent in 20 years just this year against WI.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
South Africa is better than India away. India won their first series outside the subcontinent in 20 years just this year against WI.

Pretty marginal difference between the two teams imo.
In the last five years, SOuth AFrica too have only scored 2 away series win ...both against The Windies in 2001 and 2005. India have 2 ...against Pakistan and the West Indies.
South Africa got a 1-1 draw in NZL in 2004 whereas India got beaten 2-0 in 2002 but SAffies were hammered 3-0 in Australia but India got a draw in 2003-2004 and remain the only team to have won a 'live' test in Australia this decade.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Salamuddin said:
My Ranking (from best to worst)
1) Australia
2) England
3) Pakistan
4) India
5) South Africa
6) Sri Lanka
7) New Zealand
8) West Indies.
What are you basing the rankings on?

If I have time Ill look at the combined records for each team in their last series away against each other nation.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Goughy said:
What are you basing the rankings on?

If I have time Ill look at the combined records for each team in their last series away against each other nation.
Memory.....:laugh:

But Re: RSA and INdia , I belive thsese are the results of the teams against others way from home in their last series.

RSA:
V Aus: 0-3
v PAK : 0-1
v ENG : 2-2
v NZL: 1-1
v WI: 2-0
v SL: 0-2
v IND: 0-1

W 5 Lost 9

INdia:
v AUS: 1-1
v PAK: 0-1
v ENG: 1-1
v NZL: 0-2
v WI: 1-0
v SL: 1-2
v SAF 0-1

W 4 : Lost 8

So I was right, the difference is marginal....

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, the difference between India and SA is marginal.

Based on last away series against each of the other major 7 nations

Win %
Aus 68.00%
Eng 30.77%
SA 23.81%
Pak 22.22%
India 18.18%
Sri 12.50%
NZ 6.67%
WI 0.00%

Loss %
Aus 16.00%
India 36.36%
Eng 38.46%
SA 42.86%
NZ 53.33%
Pak 55.56%
Sri 56.25%
WI 85.00%

In Ranked Order

1. Aus - By a mile
2. Eng - Clear 2nd
3. 4. SA/India - Too close to call
5. Pak
6. Sri - Above NZ for better win record
7. NZ
8. West Indies - Clear last without an away win

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Yep, the difference between India and SA is marginal.

Based on last away series against each of the other major 7 nations

Win %
Aus 68.00%
Eng 30.77%
SA 23.81%
Pak 22.22%
India 18.18%
Sri 12.50%
NZ 6.67%
WI 0.00%

Loss %
Aus 16.00%
India 36.36%
Eng 38.46%
SA 42.86%
NZ 53.33%
Pak 55.56%
Sri 56.25%
WI 85.00%

In Ranked Order

1. Aus - By a mile
2. Eng - Clear 2nd
3. 4. SA/India - To close to call
5. Pak
6. Sri - Above NZ for better win record
7. NZ
8. West Indies - Clear last without an away win
Are you counting test wins or series wins? I'm a bit surprised actually that India is the 3rd/4th best away team? Seems odd to me.

Can you expand that to the last two series away per country? Just to get a slightly better idea over a longer period?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Are you counting test wins or series wins? I'm a bit surprised actually that India is the 3rd/4th best away team? Seems odd to me.
Sorry, I should have explained.

Its on a per test basis, not on a series basis.

India benefit from being hard to beat.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Sorry, I should have explained.

Its on a per test basis, not on a series basis.

India benefit from being hard to beat.
Can you run it for the last two series against each of the top nations instead of one? To get a slightly better sample?

Unless its a lot of work for you.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Can you run it for the last two series against each of the top nations instead of one? To get a slightly better sample?

Unless its a lot of work for you.
Its 3.10 am here. Maybe tomorrow :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
vic_orthdox said:
Maybe you've got to question the relevance to current sides of what happened two tours ago, as well...
Well a lot of countries have been historically a certain way. And besides the period is what 5 years anyway? Every side five years ago is probably dramatically different from the side now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:

Can you expand that to the last two series away per country? Just to get a slightly better idea over a longer period?
The reason you're surprised is because of the stereotype you endorse.

India are far from awesome away from home, but they're no easy-beats, that's for sure.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:

India are far from awesome away from home, but they're no easy-beats, that's for sure.
Yeah, thats the key. With Indias bowling they struggle to take 20 wickets away from home, but good luck bowling them out twice.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. England
4. Pakistan
5. India
6. New Zealand
7. Sri Lanka
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh

Probably a fair bit of bias ranking New Zealand over Sri Lanka but it's just my opinion, no stats or anything to back it up.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:

Yup, I'm surprised, I'll admit it. My stereotype might be wrong, who'd have thunk it? :blink:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Perm said:
1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. England
4. Pakistan
5. India
6. New Zealand
7. Sri Lanka
8. West Indies
9. Bangladesh

Probably a fair bit of bias ranking New Zealand over Sri Lanka but it's just my opinion, no stats or anything to back it up.
SA #2? Whats the last test series that they've, you know, won?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
SA #2? Whats the last test series that they've, you know, won?
As someone mentioned before, in the post Cronje era they've beaten only WI twice away from home, drew with NZ and England and lost everywhere else. In the Cronje era they were clearly the No 2 team away from home with wins in India and Pakistan to their credit but they are no better than India away from home ATM.