• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Catching the Ball

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Ive wanted to now this for a long time, and I face being laughed off the CW forum, but what I want to know is,

Is it Legal for you to take a catch by using a cap?

adharcric

International Coach
I don't think it is.

I tried stopping the ball at the boundary with my cap as a 12-year-old in a competitive match and I got absolutely toasted by the adults. I then claimed that my cap was annoying me so I just took it off and it saved me because no one could really see what I did. :ph34r: Felt like a bastard that day.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No it is not legal.

EDIT

Wiki said:
However, if while the ball is in play he wilfully fields it otherwise (e.g. by using his hat), the ball becomes dead and 5 penalty runs are awarded to the batting side unless the ball previously struck a batsman not attempting to hit or avoid the ball. Most of the rules covering fielders are in Law 41 of the Laws of cricket.
Wiki said:
5 penalty runs are awarded to the batting side should the ball touch a fielder's headgear whilst it is not being worn unless the ball previously struck a batsman not attempting to hit or avoid the ball. This rule was introduced in the 19th century to prevent the unfair practice of a fielder using a hat (often a top hat) to take a catch.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
No it is not legal.

EDIT

I hope Wiki isn't Wikipedia. A lot of that site is complete drivel and anyone can edit and add anything they want. For instance one article says the aim of the batsman is:
1. Avoid getting out
2. Avoid being injured
3. Score runs

That might explain Chris Tavare's approach to batting but it shouldn't be quoted too widely.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
If it was up to me, I'd say perfectly legal. Using your initiative is hard to come by these days, so it should be rewarded.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Tomm NCCC said:
If it was up to me, I'd say perfectly legal. Using your initiative is hard to come by these days, so it should be rewarded.
Its hardly initiative or a radical idea if it has been around in cricket since the year dot. Remember it was banned as long ago as the 1800s.

Even if it was using initiative, I would rather people were forced to use their catching technique and ability rather than initiative.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It should bloody well be, because then maybe I'd have got my hattrick on Saturday.

Was on a hattrick as a leggie, brought the field in and tossed it up. The ball was skied off a top edge and my best mate dropped an absolute dolly. Would have had a better chance catching it with his big floppy hat I reckon.

He will never be forgiven for that. Never!

tooextracool

International Coach
has anyone on the boards ever tried catching the ball with his hat? because i can assure you that 99.99% of the time(assuming you use a normal cap) you'd drop it either with the ball popping straight out of the hat or with the impact of the ball hitting the cap causing you to drop the cap.
Regardless if the ball hitting a helmet on the field is deemed as a penalty, one would think so would using a cap to take a catch.

tooextracool

International Coach
pasag said:
I've done it plenty of times, it's pretty damn easy.
with a normal cricket cap? everytime ive tried it, ive ended up dropping it, and everyone else that i know that has tried it has done pretty much the same.

pasag

RTDAS
This isn't an official cricket game or anything, just playing with mates. Using a trucker cap it's really not hard to catch a cricket ball with it.