Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run-machine Yousuf up to second spot in LG ICC Player Rankings

Cricket Spectator

Icon2 Run-machine Yousuf up to second spot in LG ICC Player Rankings

Run-machine Yousuf up to second spot in LG ICC Player Rankings

Pakistan's Mohammed Yousuf has climbed to second place in the LG ICC
    Rankings for Test batsmen after his memorable innings of 192 against the West Indies at Lahore this week.

Yousuf now has the highest number of ratings points of any Pakistani batsman in history, breaking the 900 barrier for the first time and surpassing Javed Miandad's highest ranking of 885, achieved in February 1989.

He is only the twentieth player in history to top 900 rating points, an indication not only of his quality but also of his current amazing run of form.

Yousuf is the leading run-scorer in the calendar year with 1315 runs from only nine matches. That haul includes six hundreds, one of them the 202 he made against England at Lord's in July.

The elegant right-hander has overtaken India captain Rahul Dravid in the LG ICC Player Rankings and only Australia's Ricky Ponting is now above him. Team-mate Younis Khan remains in fourth place in the listing.

Another big mover following the Lahore Test is Brian Lara, who scored 61 and 122, the first times he has passed 50 in a Test on Pakistan soil.

Those two contributions have lifted the West Indies captain up five places to number eight in LG ICC Player Rankings for Test batsmen.

Yousuf's rise is good news for Pakistan but not so good is the slide of captain Inzamam-ul-Haq. He dropped five places to 12th in the batting ladder after collecting a duck at the Gaddafi Stadium.

i just saw a thread on this guy i was really shocked...is he better or what..like how did he got that 2nd place...i just totally read the whole thread...everyone was like against him..someone said he is weak against flat track some said he scores against weak teams..whats the whole scenario...can please someone define it
    Last edited by Bond_shane_bond; 19-11-2006 at 11:09 AM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    No one is 'against' him, people agree he is a good batsman and he is having an amazing run of form. People are just skeptical of his #2 in the world rating, and are waiting for him to play on some green tops or bouncy wickets before they agree with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    No one is 'against' him, people agree he is a good batsman and he is having an amazing run of form. People are just skeptical of his #2 in the world rating, and are waiting for him to play on some green tops or bouncy wickets before they agree with it.
    I'm sure that you're aware that it takes into consideration the the amount of runs scored in the match and so on. The rankings do never lie imo.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    I'm sure that you're aware that it takes into consideration the the amount of runs scored in the match and so on. The rankings do never lie imo.
    Didn't I say that he is having an amazing run of form?

Curveball Champion!
    Oh yes I know that. I was just responding to the people who said he is a flat-track bully, the people who you implied in your post.

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Well done Mr Yousef. An Average over 60? I reckon he can
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Oh yes I know that. I was just responding to the people who said he is a flat-track bully, the people who you implied in your post.
    What's your point? The rankings don't make his record in certain places turn from poor to impressive all of a sudden.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    He's in very good form, I couldn't agree more. But until he proves himself against Australia and South Africa he can't be considering as a great batsman, only a good one. He has plenty of time to correct these poor records and I expect him to do it.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

I think those people will have to wait a really long time. There arent that many greentops around and even fewer fastmen to expose those conditions.
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slifer
    I think those people will have to wait a really long time. There arent that many greentops around and even fewer fastmen to expose those conditions.
    In that case, Ponting should never have been classified as a great batsman. He's only scored big in the more recent era of flat pitches and poor bowling attacks, unlike Lara and Tendulkar who scored when when things were more difficult for batsmen. Ponting was able to overcome that by scoring a mountain of runs. If Yousef can do the same, and score runs against all teams in most conditions, then I'd say you'd have to classify him as a great in this era where batsmen have less opportunity to prove their mettle in truly difficult circumstances. After all, Ponting is yet to score big against India in India, and I doubt he'll get the opportunity to do so on a really challenging turning surface.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    If you score enough runs, it doesn't matter how flat the wickets are, you will still end up high in the rankings. Yousuf is in undeniable form, in terms of rankings.

Rankings lie constantly because people consider them a judge of quality of a player, rather than form. Yousuf is an excellent batsman though.
    Last edited by Mr Mxyzptlk; 20-11-2006 at 06:26 PM.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    If you score enough runs, it doesn't matter how flat the wickets are, you will still end up high in the rankings. Yousuf is in undeniable form, in terms of rankings.

Rankings lie constantly because people consider them a judge of quality of a player, rather than form. Yousuf is an excellent batsman though.
    Not always. Younis Khan scored 553 runs in 3 matches, and only went up 2 places in the rankings.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Pointless example. If he kept that scoring rate up for 10 or 15 matches he would go up a long way.

Anyway, the rankings are about form, not about the overall quality of a player, and that's all there is to it really. I like them and I think they are interesting and a very good form guide. One can refer to them at any given time to see the way players have been performing in the recent past and how they match up against other comparable players in world cricket, but you can't look at them and judge a player's overall ability on his current ranking. Steve Harmison was once ranked the #1 bowler in the world - does one seriously consider him better than McGrath, Murali etc? Was he even a better bowler at that time? It was merely a run of form.

Yousuf is a fine batsman but he is not a great batsman, at least not yet. His problem is not that he hasn't scored runs on "greentops", which are extremely rare in international cricket anyway, it's that his record against certain teams and on bouncy wickets in general is quite average. He's certainly a better batsman than he used to be though, and I'm sure he will improve that somewhat.

Over the last few years he's probably the most feared batsman in world cricket after Ponting, Dravid, Lara and Kallis. Perhaps alongside Hayden and Inzamam. Certainly nothing to be laughed at, and his record in 2006 is stellar. However, when compared overall to batsmen like the others listed above, he's got some work to do.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Banned
    he is better then your tendulkar

Quote Originally Posted by dass
    he is better then your tendulkar
    Excellent argument. I'm impressed by his debating skills. SS, please try to recruit him for the roundtable you're thinking of forming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information