Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Shoaib and Asif II

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,506

    Shoaib and Asif II

    PCB screw up could save Asif and Shoaib

    PCB failed to observe WADA codes in dope tests: Hasib Ahsan

    from dawn

    LAHORE, Nov 18: Former Test cricketer Hasib Ahsan, a member of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) appeals committee to review doping charges on fast bowlers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif, said on Saturday that it was not mandatory for PCB to carry out such tests in the first place and the board had not fulfilled the World Anti-Doping Association (WADA) regulations during the testing procedures.

    “There are many pre-requisites in WADA regulations and those have not been fulfilled by the PCB,” said Hasib in an exclusive interview with Voice of America (VOA) on Saturday. “If the defense counsels of Shoaib and Asif effectively point out the loopholes in dope tests, the appeal committee will have to consider and accept their pleadings.”

    Hasib, a former chief selector, also made a startling disclosure when he said that since PCB was not a signatory to International Cricket Council or WADA’s doping code, it was under no binding or obligation to conduct such tests.

    Sources close to PCB, while endorsing Hasib’s views, said the board was, apparently, in hot soup since the appeals committee had found out gross violations of WADA and ICC Doping Code during the dope tests conducted on Pakistani cricketers which eventually led to banning of pacers Shoaib and Asif by the PCB Anti-doping Tribunal.

    According to the sources, PCB’s Dr Sohail Salim had not conducted the dope tests as per WADA or ICC Doping Code, thus violating the fundamental ‘Doping Code Protocols’ that may render the whole testing procedures invalid.

    The study of the procedure reveals that the dope tests should be conducted within one hour of issuing the suspect athlete a written notification to present himself at the venue of inquiry. Dr Sohail only informed Shoaib and Asif of their notice on telephone after which it took Shoaib a good five days to appear for the test while Asif managed to appear for his test after five hours of the Sohail’s phone call.

    The PCB’s blunders continued when both players’ names were released to the media in complete violation of the ICC and PCB Anti Doping Code.—Agencies

  2. #2
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,181
    Their lawyers will have a field day with this.
    RIP Craigos

  3. #3
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    I want to see the best FAST bowler and the best Emerging Fast medium bowler back in the team as soon as possible .
    The basic point that I described earlier was that there were certain flaws in the initial inquiry itself . A famous tennis player (Rudseski) was released after found having even higher level of Nandrolone . It can increase itself if a person stays on high mineral and protein diet . I myself being a sportsman never used performance enhancing drugs but have used a remedy called (Shilajit) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilajitfor the healing of my badly twisted ankle (And it may contain some banned substances, so what? Its side effects might go away after a month or so I guess .And mind you that the "Kushta" that Shoaib uses might have contained some suspicious items and if there is no medical regulation itself against such medicines and are freely available then offcourse it should be taken as if this stuff is legal to use in Pakistan.Change the system first and then ban the players . Pathetic loser of an authority we have there .There is no law that they had to follow and they put a person Intekhab Alam (Having problems with Shoaib earlier may be) on this case .Patron in chief if can pardon a murder convict of a foreign nationality for the celebration of good will while having the laid back mentality ,then he should also step forward to save some careers (life in the other words) of his own "people" . PCB is a 6969 of a department and has no law what so ever for this breach of sportsmanship so why grinding the players now !!!
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

  4. #4
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    btw !
    Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen showing that the metabolite product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein diets utilising the legal nutritional supplement creatine and hard cardiovascular exercise. The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible (though unlikely) reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh racer, Lenny Paul). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter C.J. Hunter as the reason for his positive test. A final possible cause of incorrect urine test results is the presence of metabolites from other anabolic steroids. However, as all such substances are also banned, this source is somewhat insignificant when interpreting the results of such a test. As a result of the numerous overturned verdicts, the testing procedure was reviewed by UK Sport [1] in 2000.
    Courtesy : wiki the small wonder !


  5. #5
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    I think the sentence for drug use is way to harsh for first time offences. 6 months maximum IMO for first time caught, anything more is just there to appease the public because of the bad stigma involved with performance enhancing drugs. Shoaib and Asif should both have gotten less and are both a victim of what the tribunal think the international community would think. Therefore I'd be happy if their sentences were reduced.

    Just my thoughts.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  6. #6
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    *Ahem*
    btw Can some body check the ingredients of cattle feed (especialy cows) of Pakistan . *Ahem* ! And I perfectly know how "Wanda" is prepared because I am supposed to send some medicines to a friend of mine in Rajanpur for this Cattle feed business (LEGAL THINGI) and shhhh there are some trade secrets that I know and will only disclose them if put as a lawyer of Shoaib and Asif !!!

  7. #7
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    I think the sentence for drug use is way to harsh for first time offences. 6 months maximum IMO for first time caught, anything more is just there to appease the public because of the bad stigma involved with performance enhancing drugs. Shoaib and Asif should both have gotten less and are both a victim of what the tribunal think the international community would think. Therefore I'd be happy if their sentences were reduced.

    Just my thoughts.
    I love your judgement Gelman . I may bribe'em and squeeze you on my side on judgement day !



    Only if my side is good

  8. #8
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ

    Only if my side is good
    Dude you always cheat your daddy for money !

  9. #9
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Whoa - it looks like Fraz is channelling at least a couple of personalities there!

    I notice that nobody is arguing anymore in the reports that they're innocent, just that the tests were cocked up.

    Lawyers in sport are a worse problem than drugs IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  10. #10
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    Lawyers in sport are a worse problem than drugs IMO.
    The whole drug regulation authority tbh . My mum is a doctor and my dad was deputy secretary of a famous province's medical faculty .
    Law about steorids . WHAT LAW ???? WHAT AUTHORITY ???? WHAT REGULATION ABOUT THE CATTLE FEED?????? Patron in chief if you are reading this "Sir" then answer my inquiries ??????
    My dad's best dude is a retired chef justice of supreme court and I know how some judgements are made with just having some "foreign item" and some personal inner self ... Show me the version of PLD stating any thing similar to this stupid and barbaric judgement . With what pressure they are behaving like this ????

  11. #11
    International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,220
    Would be pretty farcical if they both got off. Personally, I don't want to see Shoaib back in national colors.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    I think the sentence for drug use is way to harsh for first time offences. 6 months maximum IMO for first time caught, anything more is just there to appease the public because of the bad stigma involved with performance enhancing drugs. Shoaib and Asif should both have gotten less and are both a victim of what the tribunal think the international community would think. Therefore I'd be happy if their sentences were reduced.

    Just my thoughts.
    If the ICC had conducted the Tests the minimum ban would be 2 years. So no it's not harsh at all - it is in fact lenient by the rules etc. that are in place. It is also lenient if you compare it to most other sports.

    Anyway it might just be possible for me to hate Pakistan cricket team even more if these two get off and get back in the side.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  13. #13
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Anyway it might just be possible for me to hate Pakistan cricket team even more if these two get off and get back in the side.
    Though I oppose any leniency on the bans, if it makes Scally more irratated than perhaps it's a good thing! Reinstate them!

  14. #14
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion
    Though I oppose any leniency on the bans, if it makes Scally more irratated than perhaps it's a good thing! Reinstate them!
    Fusion !! I just temporarily lost the faith that I had in your posts .pity is that you ended the post with cheesiest smiley ever !!!

  15. #15
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,395
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ
    Fusion !! I just temporarily lost the faith that I had in your posts .pity is that you ended the post with cheesiest smiley ever !!!
    So you didn't like my post or the smiley? I've got some work to do I guess.

    I respect the opinion of those who want to reduce the ban on these two. I disagree. I have sympathy for Asif as he seems naive and impressionable. Nevertheless, he is responsible for his actions. As for Shoaib, he's already used up his second, third, fourth and more chances. I don't ever want to see him playing for Pakistan. By the way, does it really matter if the PCB followed proper procedures on doping tests or not? It seems that Shoaib and Asif are not contesting the results, but just the procedures. Do we (Pakistani fans) really want them to get off on a technicality? What kind of a message would that send to other young kids trying to make it to the National side? I would rather they both served their bans and then try to make it back to the team if they can.

    P.S: No cheesy smileys at the end, just for your sake!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Shoaib 2, Asif 1. Both banned
    By Dravid in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 07:33 AM
  2. CWBCC Broadcast Network (Champions Trophy)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Cricket Web XI
    Replies: 1469
    Last Post: 28-04-2007, 10:08 AM
  3. icc aktar and asif
    By andmark in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 21-10-2006, 11:33 PM
  4. ***Official*** India in Pakistan
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3116
    Last Post: 21-02-2006, 11:54 AM
  5. *Daily Blast TV* - Pakistan in Australia!
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Cricket Media Coverage
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 14-01-2005, 09:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •