• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib and Asif II

Xuhaib

International Coach
PCB screw up could save Asif and Shoaib

PCB failed to observe WADA codes in dope tests: Hasib Ahsan

from dawn

LAHORE, Nov 18: Former Test cricketer Hasib Ahsan, a member of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) appeals committee to review doping charges on fast bowlers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif, said on Saturday that it was not mandatory for PCB to carry out such tests in the first place and the board had not fulfilled the World Anti-Doping Association (WADA) regulations during the testing procedures.

“There are many pre-requisites in WADA regulations and those have not been fulfilled by the PCB,” said Hasib in an exclusive interview with Voice of America (VOA) on Saturday. “If the defense counsels of Shoaib and Asif effectively point out the loopholes in dope tests, the appeal committee will have to consider and accept their pleadings.”

Hasib, a former chief selector, also made a startling disclosure when he said that since PCB was not a signatory to International Cricket Council or WADA’s doping code, it was under no binding or obligation to conduct such tests.

Sources close to PCB, while endorsing Hasib’s views, said the board was, apparently, in hot soup since the appeals committee had found out gross violations of WADA and ICC Doping Code during the dope tests conducted on Pakistani cricketers which eventually led to banning of pacers Shoaib and Asif by the PCB Anti-doping Tribunal.

According to the sources, PCB’s Dr Sohail Salim had not conducted the dope tests as per WADA or ICC Doping Code, thus violating the fundamental ‘Doping Code Protocols’ that may render the whole testing procedures invalid.

The study of the procedure reveals that the dope tests should be conducted within one hour of issuing the suspect athlete a written notification to present himself at the venue of inquiry. Dr Sohail only informed Shoaib and Asif of their notice on telephone after which it took Shoaib a good five days to appear for the test while Asif managed to appear for his test after five hours of the Sohail’s phone call.

The PCB’s blunders continued when both players’ names were released to the media in complete violation of the ICC and PCB Anti Doping Code.—Agencies

FRAZ

International Captain
I want to see the best FAST bowler and the best Emerging Fast medium bowler back in the team as soon as possible .
The basic point that I described earlier was that there were certain flaws in the initial inquiry itself . A famous tennis player (Rudseski) was released after found having even higher level of Nandrolone . It can increase itself if a person stays on high mineral and protein diet . I myself being a sportsman never used performance enhancing drugs but have used a remedy called (Shilajit) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilajitfor the healing of my badly twisted ankle (And it may contain some banned substances, so what? Its side effects might go away after a month or so I guess .And mind you that the "Kushta" that Shoaib uses might have contained some suspicious items and if there is no medical regulation itself against such medicines and are freely available then offcourse it should be taken as if this stuff is legal to use in Pakistan.Change the system first and then ban the players . Pathetic loser of an authority we have there .There is no law that they had to follow and they put a person Intekhab Alam (Having problems with Shoaib earlier may be) on this case .Patron in chief if can pardon a murder convict of a foreign nationality for the celebration of good will while having the laid back mentality ,then he should also step forward to save some careers (life in the other words) of his own "people" . PCB is a 6969 of a department and has no law what so ever for this breach of sportsmanship so why grinding the players now !!!

FRAZ

International Captain
btw !
Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen showing that the metabolite product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein diets utilising the legal nutritional supplement creatine and hard cardiovascular exercise. The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible (though unlikely) reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh racer, Lenny Paul). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter C.J. Hunter as the reason for his positive test. A final possible cause of incorrect urine test results is the presence of metabolites from other anabolic steroids. However, as all such substances are also banned, this source is somewhat insignificant when interpreting the results of such a test. As a result of the numerous overturned verdicts, the testing procedure was reviewed by UK Sport [1] in 2000.
Courtesy : wiki the small wonder !

pasag

RTDAS
I think the sentence for drug use is way to harsh for first time offences. 6 months maximum IMO for first time caught, anything more is just there to appease the public because of the bad stigma involved with performance enhancing drugs. Shoaib and Asif should both have gotten less and are both a victim of what the tribunal think the international community would think. Therefore I'd be happy if their sentences were reduced.

Just my thoughts.

FRAZ

International Captain
*Ahem*
btw Can some body check the ingredients of cattle feed (especialy cows) of Pakistan . *Ahem* ! And I perfectly know how "Wanda" is prepared because I am supposed to send some medicines to a friend of mine in Rajanpur for this Cattle feed business (LEGAL THINGI) and shhhh there are some trade secrets that I know and will only disclose them if put as a lawyer of Shoaib and Asif !!!

FRAZ

International Captain
pasag said:
I think the sentence for drug use is way to harsh for first time offences. 6 months maximum IMO for first time caught, anything more is just there to appease the public because of the bad stigma involved with performance enhancing drugs. Shoaib and Asif should both have gotten less and are both a victim of what the tribunal think the international community would think. Therefore I'd be happy if their sentences were reduced.

Just my thoughts.
I love your judgement Gelman . I may bribe'em and squeeze you on my side on judgement day !

Only if my side is good

Matt79

Global Moderator
Whoa - it looks like Fraz is channelling at least a couple of personalities there! :)

I notice that nobody is arguing anymore in the reports that they're innocent, just that the tests were ****ed up.

Lawyers in sport are a worse problem than drugs IMO.

FRAZ

International Captain
Matt79 said:
Lawyers in sport are a worse problem than drugs IMO.
The whole drug regulation authority tbh . My mum is a doctor and my dad was deputy secretary of a famous province's medical faculty .
Law about steorids . WHAT LAW ???? WHAT AUTHORITY ???? WHAT REGULATION ABOUT THE CATTLE FEED?????? Patron in chief if you are reading this "Sir" then answer my inquiries ??????
My dad's best dude is a retired chef justice of supreme court and I know how some judgements are made with just having some "foreign item" and some personal inner self ... Show me the version of PLD stating any thing similar to this stupid and barbaric judgement . With what pressure they are behaving like this ????

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
pasag said:

Just my thoughts.
If the ICC had conducted the Tests the minimum ban would be 2 years. So no it's not harsh at all - it is in fact lenient by the rules etc. that are in place. It is also lenient if you compare it to most other sports.

Anyway it might just be possible for me to hate Pakistan cricket team even more if these two get off and get back in the side.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Scaly piscine said:
Anyway it might just be possible for me to hate Pakistan cricket team even more if these two get off and get back in the side.
Though I oppose any leniency on the bans, if it makes Scally more irratated than perhaps it's a good thing! Reinstate them! :cool:

FRAZ

International Captain
Fusion said:
Though I oppose any leniency on the bans, if it makes Scally more irratated than perhaps it's a good thing! Reinstate them! :cool:
Fusion !! I just temporarily lost the faith that I had in your posts .pity is that you ended the post with cheesiest smiley ever !!!

Fusion

Global Moderator
FRAZ said:
Fusion !! I just temporarily lost the faith that I had in your posts .pity is that you ended the post with cheesiest smiley ever !!!
So you didn't like my post or the smiley? I've got some work to do I guess.

I respect the opinion of those who want to reduce the ban on these two. I disagree. I have sympathy for Asif as he seems naive and impressionable. Nevertheless, he is responsible for his actions. As for Shoaib, he's already used up his second, third, fourth and more chances. I don't ever want to see him playing for Pakistan. By the way, does it really matter if the PCB followed proper procedures on doping tests or not? It seems that Shoaib and Asif are not contesting the results, but just the procedures. Do we (Pakistani fans) really want them to get off on a technicality? What kind of a message would that send to other young kids trying to make it to the National side? I would rather they both served their bans and then try to make it back to the team if they can.

P.S: No cheesy smileys at the end, just for your sake!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Fusion said:
I respect the opinion of those who want to reduce the ban on these two. I disagree. I have sympathy for Asif as he seems naive and impressionable. Nevertheless, he is responsible for his actions. As for Shoaib, he's already used up his second, third, fourth and more chances. I don't ever want to see him playing for Pakistan. By the way, does it really matter if the PCB followed proper procedures on doping tests or not? It seems that Shoaib and Asif are not contesting the results, but just the procedures. Do we (Pakistani fans) really want them to get off on a technicality? What kind of a message would that send to other young kids trying to make it to the National side? I would rather they both served their bans and then try to make it back to the team if they can.
excellent post as usual, completely agree...

FRAZ

International Captain
Fusion said:
What kind of a message would that send to other young kids trying to make it to the National side? !
I think the only kids who need some thing to learn from here is that they should make some lawful amendments in the books of law first and should check all the drugs in the country . And should put some restrictions on some completely harmful drugs first . Change the medical faculty and put some proper regulations first . Ha ! And law is what we are following right , Then what law was applied over here ???

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Fusion said:
So you didn't like my post or the smiley? I've got some work to do I guess.

P.S: No cheesy smileys at the end, just for your sake!
Pretty much summarized how I feel on the issue. I think Asif should get the ban he deserves, though I won't hate him due to this incident because as you said, he seems like a pretty naive kid. Akhtar on the other hand, well I disliked him about a year and a half ago, and just as I started gaining some respect for him, something like this happens leading me to absolutely hate him. Like you, I wouldn't want to see him in Pakistani colors.

Slow Love™

International Captain
If the testing methodology is shown to not match appropriate standards, you would think that Shoaib and Asif will have a good chance at challenge the bans - although I am really unclear as to whether the ICC can play any part in this or not, or whether it's entirely a matter for the PCB to resolve.

One thing against Shoaib is that the procedural anomaly cited only makes him look worse. Because he was tested five days later, it could imply that if anything, the content in his blood was reduced from what it might have been when the test was supposed to have occurred. Either way, apart from the fact that orthodox procedure wasn't followed, I can't see how it really helps his case for innocence. I guess it depends on whether departing from standard procedure is enough in of itself to get the two off on a technicality.

It certainly doesn't imply innocence of the charges in any way. They'd be very lucky, but they'd be escaping a deserved ban, IMO.