• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who is the most reliable batsmen in the world?

dass

Banned
so who is it. Guys like Tendulaker or Lara are great batsmen no doubt, but are they most reliable? i dont think so. But who is?

in my opnion it has to be Ricky Ponting, the guy almost always strikes on big occasions, while Tendulaker and Lara mostly fail to do so on big occasions

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, it has to be Ponting or Dravid. Ponting IMO is a better batsman but Dravid is more important to India's fortunes.

Jasim

Cricket Spectator
Inzamam-ul-Haq

He is the best reliable player in the world.Whenever team needs him,he performed for his team and mostly whenever he scores his team won the match.A great match winner player...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dravid or Ponting, the usual suspects. But as of late Mohammad Yousuf has been pretty consistent and Andrew Strauss, for an opener is fairly reliable.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jasim said:
He is the best reliable player in the world.Whenever team needs him,he performed for his team and mostly whenever he scores his team won the match.A great match winner player...
Record vs. Aus and SA isn't good enough IMO to be the most reliable.

I think Dravid is the most reliable in the truest sense of the word, with Ponting and Kallis running him very close.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Jasim said:
Trying to forget the 03world cup?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Well, it depends what you really mean by reliable.

If you mean who's most likely to score at least 50 or make some contribution to the side, i'd go with Dravid or Kallis, but if you meant who's the most realiable player to win you a match, i'd go with Ponting, Tendulkar or KP.

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Why is it that when people think of a reliable batsmen they always think of a rock solid defensive player? Lara is every bit as reliable as Ponting, Dravid and Kallis, even more so since he's carried the team on his shoulders for so long now.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jason_M said:
Why is it that when people think of a reliable batsmen they always think of a rock solid defensive player? Lara is every bit as reliable as Ponting, Dravid and Kallis, even more so since he's carried the team on his shoulders for so long now.
Ponting is not a defensive player - and people take him over Lara because Ponting and Dravid are more consistent. Most people think of consistency when thinking about reliability.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jason_M said:
LOL @ labelling Ponting as a defensive player.

Natman20

International Debutant
Lara and Tendulkar are more one big innings out of 5 players. Ponting is the most consistent in my view. I would rather have Ponting in my team in ODIs than Lara or Tendulkar because I think he has more potential to score those 50s as he does so on regular occasions whereas at this current time if you look at scorecards it is common to see Tendulkar out for 30 and under and the same for Lara. They do not have the same level of consistency. They may have had it at some stage of their career but not now IMO.

oz_fan

International Regular
Dravid, Kallis and Ponting are all reliable. Whenever they go out to bat you are usually guaranteed a good innings. Lara is a great batsmen but you just never know if he is going to make a double hundred or get out for a duck.

dass

Banned
oz_fan said:
Dravid, Kallis and Ponting are all reliable. Whenever they go out to bat you are usually guaranteed a good innings. Lara is a great batsmen but you just never know if he is going to make a double hundred or get out for a duck.
hahahahh so true, i think he is the only batsmen with such a big contrast:laugh: either a duck or a huge hundred :laugh:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As others have said, depends on the meaning. If by "reliable" you mean a player who will contribute in every game in some way and make a few runs, Dravid and then Kallis. If you mean a player who is more likely to win you a match with a brilliant innings, Ponting or Lara.