• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will retire with a batting average of >60?

Who will retire with an average of >60?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If anyone, and why?

If I was Rahul Dravid, I would retire the day after I got my average up to 60, he's at 58.75 now...he can get there if he bats selfishly for a couple tests. :laugh:

But then I'm a selfish bastard.

IMO Dravid and Ponting have the best chance. Tendulkar is winding down, and I don't think Yousuf has the class to sustain it at that level. Kallis is an X factor, but he too is probably winding down soon.

Though in all honesty, I don't think anyone of them will do it.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ponting could do it I reckon. Following his imminent Ashes slump, he'll hit another purple patch. He's the best batsman in the world; there's no reason he can't average 60.

Hussey could always retire tomorrow of course.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I'm fairly confident that Dravid will do it. Not sure about any of these other names though. I don't think Ponting's current form will last beyond the upcoming Ashes series tbh.

oz_fan

International Regular
I can't really see any of those players finishing with a batting average above 60. IMO Ponting and Dravid are the only contenders but I think it would be unlikely for either to average 60.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I think it's a long shot, but if I had to bet on one, it would be Dravid. Besides the fact that he's a great batsman, he plays in the sub-continent. Theoratically, that should translate to higher scoring opportunities.

adharcric

International Coach
Ponting and Dravid both have a good chance but they will have to overcome some hurdles.
Ponting will have to do well in the Ashes and then when he tours India.
Dravid, on the other hand, will have to make tough runs in South Africa and England.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought about Hussey but it wouldn't really be fair because he hasn't been around as long as Ponting and Dravid, whom I think both have a decent chance of finishing their career with an average of over 60.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I think Mohammed Yousef is the youngest one, he can bat for days and has more time to do so.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting and Dravid are both captains of their teams. That means they aren't retiring soon, and more then likely father time will catch up but they'll be playing on past their peak like most players do. I wouldn't be too surprised if their average was above 60 at one point maybe, but I'm pretty sure it'll more then likely fall below it before they call it a day and retire.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The problem with players such as Ponting and Dravid is that they've been playing so long that to even get their average over 60 requires a huge effort, before they even think about maintaining it at that level.

Perm

Mike Hussey probably will, I mean he averages around 75 at the moment. But when he retires he won't have played as much test cricket as Ponting, Dravid or Yousuf so it's not really fair to judge him alongside those guys.

andyc

If anyone was going to do it, it'd have to be Ponting (58.22) and Dravid (58.75). Can't see anyone else getting close.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
The problem with players such as Ponting and Dravid is that they've been playing so long that to even get their average over 60 requires a huge effort, before they even think about maintaining it at that level.
Dravid can do it in one innings. 200* will get him to 60. Or two 100*.

Seriously speaking, I would just fake an injury and retire at that point. ;)

Perm

If I had a test batting average of 60, I'd be tempted to try my hardest and get it higher, up to around 65 or so. You should always be trying to better yourself.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Either Ponting or Dravid could get to 60, but I doubt either of them will finish their careers above that mark. Of course, a few more seasons like the last one for Ponting and he could be pushing 65, so who knows.

At a guess, I'd say neither of them will finish with averages above 60, but both of them will finish above 55. I don't think either Tendulkar or Lara will do that.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, as a few people have said, Hussey probably has the best chance since the average is already way up there and he's only going to have to sustain it for a few years.

I'd be pretty certain that there's no way Ponting, Dravid or Kallis are going to improve their average from where they currently sit - if they can maintain it at the current levels til the end of their careers they'll have done exceptionally well.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Jono said:
Ponting and Dravid are both captains of their teams. That means they aren't retiring soon, and more then likely father time will catch up but they'll be playing on past their peak like most players do.
The captaincy will hurt Ponting in another way. If Australia do go through a mini slump post Warne-McGrath, and at the same time Ponting has a dip in form, questions will be asked on who is the right person to lead Australia forward. It's been a long time since an Australian captain was overturned and continued on in the side, before I was born infact, and if Ponting lost the captaincy at 33/34 you wouldn't think that he would play on and break the sequence.