• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will retire with a batting average of >60?

Who will retire with an average of >60?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
the standard of bowling is improving? the general consensus is that its more likely to decline than to improve especially with Mcgrath, Warne, Kumble all in the twilight of their careers and we might possibly have seen the last of Akhtar as well.
Yea but guys like Lee, Ntini are at the peak of their careers with the ball & when Asif returns we all know what he's capable of. Jones/Bond when fit also would be very good.

When Warnie, Kumble, MacGill & Murali retire it will hurt the quality of spinners around, but Harbhajan, Vettori have the ability to step up another level along with young boys Kaneria/Panesar/Bandara showing alot of potential, so hope is around.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie said:
Yea but guys like Lee, Ntini are at the peak of their careers with the ball & when Asif returns we all know what he's capable of. Jones/Bond when fit also would be very good.

When Warnie, Kumble, MacGill & Murali retire it will hurt the quality of spinners around, but Harbhajan, Vettori have the ability to step up another level along with young boys Kaneria/Panesar/Bandara showing alot of potential, so hope is around.
Sure, 'very good'. But to reign in batsman averages you need a couple of players in the Wasim/Waqar/Donald/Walsh/Ambrose/McGrath/Warne class of the 90's. Thats seven right there off the top of my head.

Can you name three who can do it in the next decade?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Considering that Ponting has averaged 60.16 over his last 95 tests (105 tests in total), I'd say he'd go close if he doesn't keep playing too long

btw, Ponting has an average of 70.90 over his last 60 tests.

EDIT: I see that Dravid is pretty close to Ponting in that he averages 60.21 over his last 95 tests (104 test in total) and 70.10 over his last 35 tests.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Considering that Ponting has averaged 60.16 over his last 95 tests (105 tests in total), I'd say he'd go close if he doesn't keep playing too long

btw, he has an average of 70.90 over his last 60 tests.
Yea, Dravid averages 66 in his last 50 matches as well, and 60 in his last 85 matches. Thats what I am saying. These guys didn't have to face the calibre of bowling that the others had to, so they have a shot.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
Well in some nations while others have some question marks, i.e the crop of fast bowlers that England have at the moment once thet stay fit can be top-class group in the future, Australia with Johnson, Tait, Lee running the line looks devastating, the Saffie with Ntini/Steyn, India (hopefully for Indian fans) Patel/Sreesanth/Khan along with Bhaji & Kumble & Pakistan with Asif/Kaneria.

The Kiwis, Windies, Sri Lanka have potential but will have question marks if those bowlers can be consistent. So its an improvement all-round in world bowling when for a long while after Donald, Wasim, Waqar, Ambi, Walsh retired that it was only Australia & to an extent South Africa left with top quality bowlers in their sides.
if khan is the future of fast bowling then i think i might just stop watching cricket tbh.
I cant believe Tait's name is being tossed around, he hasnt done anything at the international level, and theres absolutely no evidence of him being anything special yet. Same with Johnson tbh who may have potential, but potential is different from actually performing. There really arent that many good new bowlers going around. Theres Asif, Gul and if you want to be generous Panesar, Taylor and Johnson, but theres no way that cancels out with the loss of Mcgrath, Warne, Murali, Kumble, Pollock and Akhtar.

tooextracool

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Yup. The english bowlers are hurt too often, and its not like any of them were going to challenge Marshall & Ambrose anyway. Aussies have some new promising youngsters, but it will be 2-4 years before we can get an accurate reading on them.

I mean, who are the best three bowlers in the world today? McGrath, Murali, Warne. Warne and McGrath are on the wrong side of 35, and Murali is 34. Pollock is up there too.

In the second tier of bowlers, like Kumble and company...many of them are old too. So who's left? A bunch of kids in their early twenties, who even if they have immense talent, will take at least a couple years to mature into something.

Until 2010, I don't see it.
i think that Makhaya Ntini is the best fast bowler going around speaks volumes of how scarce pace resources are around the world.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:

Harbhajan and Vettori are decent, but they are nowhere near the Warne/Murali class. Kaneria is quite ordinary as well. As far as Jones and Bond are concerned, Bond is already 31, another injury and he'll be well and truly finished. Jones hasnt played a single test since the Ashes and theres no way anyone can predict that hes going to be the same bowler he was when he returns.
Without bringing up unproven quantities like Tait and Johnson, the only bowlers that look like they have a bright future are Anderson, Asif, Steyn, Gul, Shreesanth, Panesar and Munaf Patel supported with the experience of Lee, Flintoff, Ntini and Hoggard, Harbhajan all of whom are merely good bowlers without being great. Theres 2 spinners on that list and no great bowlers(or bowlers on their way to being great) yet. the future doesnt look to bright to me especially when you consider that we're losing at least 4 great bowlers.

shortpitched713

International Captain
tooextracool said:
the standard of bowling is improving? the general consensus is that its more likely to decline than to improve especially with Mcgrath, Warne, Kumble all in the twilight of their careers and we might possibly have seen the last of Akhtar as well.
I don't see it as very likely that the standard of bowling could decline much more from where it is now tbh. Its been pretty bad for a while now. Really, I see the current domination of batsmen to be as much correlated with flatter pitches and more hectic schedules as it is with lower standards of bowling. And for every Warne, McGrath, Kumble that is retiring, there's many more Asifs, Johnsons, Panesars to take their place. Sure not all of these bowlers will come off, but theres plenty of young bowling talent in the domestic scene.

dass

Banned
silentstriker said:
If anyone, and why?

If I was Rahul Dravid, I would retire the day after I got my average up to 60, he's at 58.75 now...he can get there if he bats selfishly for a couple tests. :laugh:

But then I'm a selfish bastard.

IMO Dravid and Ponting have the best chance. Tendulkar is winding down, and I don't think Yousuf has the class to sustain it at that level. Kallis is an X factor, but he too is probably winding down soon.

Though in all honesty, I don't think anyone of them will do it.
i beg your pardon :dry: do some research before making stupid comments

Yousuf average over the 15 last tests is near 80. so wtf are you talking about that he doesn;t have the class, his current career average is nearing 55, i am preety sure he can reach 60 with his current form if it continues

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
dass said:
i beg your pardon :dry: do some research before making stupid comments

Yousuf average over the 15 last tests is near 80. so wtf are you talking about that he doesn;t have the class, his current career average is nearing 55, i am preety sure he can reach 60 with his current form if it continues
Thats the problem, I don't think its going to continue when he starts going to places like South Africa. I don't think he has the class. Of course, I can be proven wrong.

Jasim

Cricket Spectator
Yousaf,Dravid and Ponting

Dravid also doesnot perform well in places like South Africa so it doesn't mean that he is not a great batsman and same with Yousaf,a great batsman and he is now in the 2nd spot in the top 10 batsmen.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jasim said:
Dravid also doesnot perform well in places like South Africa so it doesn't mean that he is not a great batsman and same with Yousaf,a great batsman and he is now in the 2nd spot in the top 10 batsmen.
Dravid averages 42 in SA so far, Yousuf averages 18. And he is not #2. He's not even the #1 in his own team.

Jasim

Cricket Spectator
Well u can check the latest ICC Test Rankings.No doubt Dravid is a great batsman and let's see what he will do tomorrow in SA...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dravid will be able to overcome the bounce and movement that the South African wickets provide, he has solid technique and fine temperament as I'm sure everybody here is aware of. Good to hear me being labelled as an Australian in philosophy, I'd like to think that I am.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jasim said:
Well u can check the latest ICC Test Rankings.No doubt Dravid is a great batsman and let's see what he will do tomorrow in SA...
We are not playing a test match tomorrow, unless I am mistaken.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Well i voted for Ponting, though i'd be suprised if he managed to do it.

I think it's crazy how much averages have inflated, every batsman who can hold a bat these days seems to be averaging 50 plus.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
open365 said:
Well i voted for Ponting, though i'd be suprised if he managed to do it.

I think it's crazy how much averages have inflated, every batsman who can hold a bat these days seems to be averaging 50 plus.
Unless he's English.