• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick Two Opening Batsmen for the 1946-65 World Test XI

Pick two opening batsmen for the 1946-65 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
I *cough* disagree (just so that the openers for the Post-war XI are not decided already) :)
ha ha ha. good attempt. but do you actually think there is going to be any competition for sunny and hutton from hayden or greenidge? I doubt it... but we have one whole team to select before that... lets hang on till then...

CC's arguments are quite interesting. matt's frustration in avoiding a racial spin is equally valid. I have read "beyond the boundry" and loved it. but it is very difficult to quantify those elements when you are selecting a team. there is a danger of "over correcting" also if you want to add those elements in the mix. For example, if a non-white batsman was given out to a series of dubious lbw calls we can assume he was deprived of reaching greater heights in his overall career and give him some rope . but it is also logical to assume that he would have got out to a perfectly legitimate delivery in the same over or next without adding a run. thus we have awarded him with bonus points he didnt deserve.

ifs and buts are of no use to us. yes, it is a pity not everyone gets treated fairly. but who said this is a fair world anyway?

Matt79

Global Moderator
bagapath said:
ha ha ha. good attempt. but do you actually think there is going to be any competition for sunny and hutton from hayden or greenidge? I doubt it... but we have one whole team to select before that... lets hang on till then...

CC's arguments are quite interesting. matt's frustration in avoiding a racial spin is equally valid. I have read "beyond the boundry" and loved it. but it is very difficult to quantify those elements when you are selecting a team. there is a danger of "over correcting" also if you want to add those elements in the mix. For example, if a non-white batsman was given out to a series of dubious lbw calls we can assume he was deprived of reaching greater heights in his overall career and give him some rope . but it is also logical to assume that he would have got out to a perfectly legitimate delivery in the same over or next without adding a run. thus we have awarded him with bonus points he didnt deserve.

ifs and buts are of no use to us. yes, it is a pity not everyone gets treated fairly. but who said this is a fair world anyway?
I'm going to drop it at this point because I think both CC and I have outlined our basic position well enough for people to make up their own mind.

I should add that if you read my reaction to CC's post here it probably does look like an overreaction to his comment in this thread, but it was made in the context of a number of threads that have gone down this path.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
shortpitched713 said:
Why, because a couple of guys on roundtable told you that? 8-)
Actually, yes. They got the thought rolling, and now that I think about it, they may be right. There is nothing wrong with thinking about a subject if someone brings up a good point.

I am not saying I believe it, but I don't know if its as clear cut as I once thought.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
shortpitched713 said:
Why, because a couple of guys on roundtable told you that? 8-)
Slater being > Hayden has been mentioned on this board years before Cricinfo Talk began, as I pointed out in that thread. They're just echoing thoughts that various members have stated previously.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Silentstriker said:
Actually, yes. They got the thought rolling, and now that I think about it, they may be right. There is nothing wrong with thinking about a subject if someone brings up a good point.

I am not saying I believe it, but I don't know if its as clear cut as I once thought.
Hayden's average is a good 9 points above Taylor's and 10 points above Slater's. By your own criteria, thats too much of a difference for pitch conditions and quality of bowling to make up the difference.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Jono said:
Slater being > Hayden has been mentioned on this board years before Cricinfo Talk began, as I pointed out in that thread. They're just echoing thoughts that various members have stated previously.
While thats all true, I'm simply trying to look at SS's rationale for possibly rating Slater over Hayden. After all, he's only been here six months longer than I have.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
shortpitched713 said:
While thats all true, I'm simply trying to look at SS's rationale for possibly rating Slater over Hayden. After all, he's only been here six months longer than I have.
That doesn't mean I wasn't following cricket before that.

R_D

International Debutant
Hutton was easy choice but 2nd opner was hard to pick, was thinking of Hanif but Picked Morris in the end.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just made a big post here about Slater etc, but I realised it's probably in the wrong thread, so I've moved it to the "debate" thread about the cricinfo roundtable.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
silentstriker said:
That doesn't mean I wasn't following cricket before that.
I was referring to the fact that you hadn't mentioned on this board years ago that Slater was better than Hayden. As I recall this is the first time I think you've mentioned that. In no way am I doubting that you've followed cricket for a long time. 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
shortpitched713 said:
Hayden's average is a good 9 points above Taylor's and 10 points above Slater's. By your own criteria, thats too much of a difference for pitch conditions and quality of bowling to make up the difference.
Haha good counter-point, I do recall SS saying something similar along those lines regarding Sehwag being > Anwar I believe. Seems fairly contradictory.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
Haha good counter-point, I do recall SS saying something similar along those lines regarding Sehwag being > Anwar I believe. Seems fairly contradictory.
Yea, and I still do think Hayden > Slater. I just don't think the difference is that great anymore.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
adharcric said:
Way to backtrack SS. 8-)
Silentstriker said:

I didn't know I backtracked?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Well this has to be the most one-sided and at the same time closest polls of all-time :)

Hutton the clear leader with 28 out of 30 votes, while the 2nd position could be won by any of the following six players:

Hanif Mohammad (Pak): 6 votes
Arthur Morris (Aus): 6 votes
Bob Simpson (Aus): 6 votes
Eddie Barlow (SA): 5 votes
Conrad Hunte (WI): 4 votes
Bill Lawry (Aus): 4 votes

Edit: Oh yeah, and not to forget Bert Sutcliffe (NZ) with 1 vote