• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC launch World ODI Ratings

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
According to the ICC's computer (probably the same one that does D-L

Team Matches Points Rating
1 Australia 27 3465 128
2 South Africa 38 4571 120
3 Sri Lanka 35 4092 117
4 Pakistan 32 3675 115
5 India 31 3301 106
6 England 21 2014 96
7 West Indies 22 2074 94
8 New Zealand 31 2832 91
9 Zimbabwe 28 1886 67
10 Kenya 12 263 22
11 Bangladesh 13 145 11

According to me (no points here, just placings)

1. AUS
2. IND
3. SL
4. SA
5. ENG
6. NZ
7. PAK
8. WI
9. ZIM
10. KEN
11. BAN

The vote is, who do think is closer to the truth, and therefore has their finger on the pulse of World Cricket more?

The ICC or me?

Vote now!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The ICC one is probably correct because they were taken from August 2000. Just after NZ beat Pakistan at home which is disappointing for NZ.

However if you want current ratings as of how the teams are going right now, Marc's looks to be correct.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Much as it pains me to say it, Marc's is closer IMO.

That's the thing with ODI, it changes so quickly a ranking system link the ICC's based on stats won't cut it.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Yeah Marc's is definetely close than ICCs but what are the ICC to do, they have to consider a long enough period, otherwise they will be blamed for that.

I think what they should do is have it weighted differently for different times. So a victory weighs more if acheived recently and weighs less if achieved two yrs ago.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It has been weighted like that, but the stupid thing is, India could beat the West Indies 7-0, and still not overtake Pakistan.

Keep the votes coming though lads - I can see I should be the President of the ICC!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Marc, what have you based your list on? Is it just a personal feeling or have you had a look at the results of series over the last 2 years.

CaptainSaurav

Cricket Spectator
I think the rating is crap, i mean how the hell can one place Lanka above SA?? Ok SL did well in the CT on their own turf but its a different story when they are playing at home, overall SA have been doing much better than SL.
Also, if someone is just going by teams performance in one tour( not a wise thing to do) then India should be above Aus.Also i can't understand how Eng are placed so high at no 5?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
It has been weighted like that, but the stupid thing is, India could beat the West Indies 7-0, and still not overtake Pakistan.
How much more weight given to recent series than earlier series?

Do you know exactly how they do the calculation?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I have an excuse for NZ, they've played far too many pointless games in Sharjah we're they've fielded understrength teams lol. So thats about 12 ODI's that should not be counted.

nah, but apart from that NZ has played very poor ODI cricket in Pakistan & The West Indies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by royGilchrist
How much more weight given to recent series than earlier series?

Do you know exactly how they do the calculation?
A third of the points for 2 years ago.
Two third of the points for 1 year ago.
Full points for the current year.

Points available for games depends on the points difference between the 2 sides.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by The Argonaut
Marc, what have you based your list on? Is it just a personal feeling or have you had a look at the results of series over the last 2 years.
Basically a personal feeling has had a lot to do with it - however it appears that a couple of people have decided to flood the votes, rendering it pointless.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I would say marc is pretty close , the way the teams going at the moment seem to be different the way icc ranked... example india might not be winning many tri series finals but they seem to be winning most of the o.di matches ... and if its based on that they should be ranked higher than 5 ofcourse

Go_India

School Boy/Girl Captain
that would be my rating :)
australia
india
srilanka
south africa
pakistan
west indies
new zealand

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Team Matches Points Rating
1 Australia 27 3465 128
2 South Africa 38 4571 120
3 Sri Lanka 35 4092 117
4 Pakistan 32 3675 115
5 India 31 3301 106
6 England 21 2014 96
7 West Indies 22 2074 94
8 New Zealand 31 2832 91
9 Zimbabwe 28 1886 67
10 Kenya 12 263 22
11 Bangladesh 13 145 11

According to me (no points here, just placings)

1. AUS
2. IND
3. SL
4. SA
5. ENG
6. NZ
7. PAK
8. WI
9. ZIM
10. KEN
11. BAN
For the ICC rating, I wouldn't place India below Pakistan. India are looking very solid now. As for your rating marc, how did you place NZ and Eng above Pakistan ? Aus dont have a case, they are at the top. But what about poor South Africa ? below India ?

[Edited on 1/11/2002 by Gotchya]

wasims_fan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i think pak should be at 5th and india should move up to the 2nd position.
Thats how i rate the teams:
1:aus
2:india
3:sri lanka
4:south africa
5:pakistan
6:west indies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
West Indies above England, based on what exactly?

I may have been a bit harsh on Pakistan, but unless they turn things round, they'll be below the other 4 for a while to come.

And all those criticising my placing of India as number 2, they weren't far off being number 1, it's only not being sure how they'll perform in Africa that put them there!

masterblaster

International Captain
yeah, for me it has been the most pleasing sight to see India finally live up to their ODI potential. Ive been saying for a long long time at cricketgames.com to Agemaster, Marc and many others that India has a magneficent pool of young 20 year olds and other youngsters.

Lets hope they do well in the World Cup.
Sehwag, Yuvraj, Kaif, Mongia, JP Yadav, Mishra, Sodhi, Khan, Pathan, Balaji, Harbhajan are just some of the talent we have.

My rating would be,

1 INDIA!
2 Aus
3 SA
4 SL
5 NZ
6 WI

Pak/Eng/Zimb & Bang, not much to talk about them, they are crap

The Indian squad for the WCup should be:

Ganguly(c)
Sehwag
Laxman
tend
Dravid
Yuvraj
Kaif
khan
Kumble
Harbhajan
Nath

--Nehra/Ajit/Mongia/Patel

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
A very interesting topic going on, but i believe that ICC has a fixed calculation for rankings and i think we should accept them as they are otherwise we can have this conversation the whole year.
I am sure ICC calculation are not based on only one or two last tournaments that would change their mind about rankings the way it changes our mind but anyways i believe that they are the right rankings.

And vandemataram if you really think that Pakistan is crap than you have to convince the Indian team that, because than they might have the courage to face Pakistan. And i hope that they are brave enough to win the next time. :lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My view is that the ICC ratings go back too far in what is an ever changing form of the game - basing it on the last 18 months or so is more like the timespan needed.