• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woah dude.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
I don't see why this is news.. We don't have a clue what the pitch/outfield was like, it's a bunch of kids playing a school game and it could be on a dust strip the size of a swimming pool, and as Neil knows, the U13 guys may have struggled to bowl a ball on the cut strip.. Some idiot on cricinfo was trying to compare it to Jayawardena and Sangakkara's performance against South Africa, I think the only similarity was they were probably both wearing white.. I know guys who've bowled teams out for 1, and that means sod all to anyone when you are playing at school I'm afraid..
It'll be in the next Wisden for sure.

Perm

sqwerty said:
TYPICAL - Batsmen get all the glory.

Wouldn't mind reading the bowling figures in that game - From BOTH sides!

Some poor bastarrd probably took 8 for 2 and he doesn't even rate a mention!

St Phillip's day didn't get much better as the opening bowler Akram picked up 7 for 11 to bowl them out for 21 in seven overs.

C_C

International Captain
Voltman said:
I can do a lot of things with my eyes closed and the right mood music on.
Throw in some grass and some 'interesting fungi' and the same's valid for me.
:laugh: :ph34r:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
I don't see why this is news.. We don't have a clue what the pitch/outfield was like, it's a bunch of kids playing a school game and it could be on a dust strip the size of a swimming pool, and as Neil knows, the U13 guys may have struggled to bowl a ball on the cut strip.. Some idiot on cricinfo was trying to compare it to Jayawardena and Sangakkara's performance against South Africa, I think the only similarity was they were probably both wearing white.. I know guys who've bowled teams out for 1, and that means sod all to anyone when you are playing at school I'm afraid..
Yeah, spot on. The Tendulkar/Kambli record (yeah, I know I'm obsessed with it) came againt a decent bowling attack and at least the opposition made some sort of reasonable score (153). They bowled 57 wides or something as well in this Hyderabad game - most respectable U13s sides would bowl less than 25.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw this discrepancy pointed out somewhere else:
"We knew our individual scores and were told about the world record only when the innings ended," they told The Hindu.
our coach informed us that there were 38 runs left for the world record and instructed us to play well and not get out. We were under pressure and that's why we played slowly," added Manoj.
Should've got their story straight before fronting the media. :dry: Amusing that their coach 'instructed them to play well' though. Obviously they hadn't been doing so up to that point.

C_C

International Captain
Adamc said:
I saw this discrepancy pointed out somewhere else:

Should've got their story straight before fronting the media. :dry:

Good catch, mate.
I am sure they- like any other sportsman in a sport dominated by 'records' are aware.
Just that its a much more 'media-friendly' thing to potray oneself as uncaring for records and thus say 'i wasnt aware of the record till my innings ended'.
Yeah. Righto.

Perm

It said that only one real chance was given by the boys, when one of them was on 200 something.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:

Because as a general rule, we don't ever play anything more than 50 over cricket at U-13 level. I may be wrong, but I don't think it happens at all.

I was playing for my school year 8 team a few years ago, and our opposing team set us 200 odd to win in 50 overs, a stiff task for any junior side. Me and the other opening batsman both got hundreds and won by 10 wickets. Things like this do happen in England, just not on the same scale.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Because as a general rule, we don't ever play anything more than 50 over cricket at U-13 level. I may be wrong, but I don't think it happens at all.

I was playing for my school year 8 team a few years ago, and our opposing team set us 200 odd to win in 50 overs, a stiff task for any junior side. Me and the other opening batsman both got hundreds and won by 10 wickets. Things like this do happen in England, just not on the same scale.
This was a 50 over game.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
silentstriker said:
This was a 50 over game.
**** me, I didn't realise that. It changes my perspective on it all now. Any scores like that are so clearly one sided, that it shouldn't really be taken seriously.