• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank The Teams (In Terms of Batting)

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Due to all the talk in the India in South Africa thread... I want to come to a conclusion of what CW members here think about each team's batting strength and what they would rank them compared to other teams.

I would like you to rank the top 8 teams in terms of batting strength in both forms of the game COMBINED. My opinion on this is...

1) Australia (Big Surprise)
2) India
3) WI
4) South Africa
5) England
6) Sri Lanka
7) Pakistan
8) New Zealand

.........................................................................Geez, that was harder than I thought it would be!

Dravid

International Captain
Okay then why don't you mind sharing your rankings with us. I'm sure they aren't a "joke"

And by the way turbinator, it was in the West Indies v Pakistan thread.

My combined rankings

Alltime:

West Indies
Australia
Pakistan
South Africa
India
England
Sri Lanka
New Zealand

Current:

Australia
India
Pakistan
South Africa
Sri Lanka
England
West Indies
New Zealand

* These ratings are based on batting strength only,as it what demanded in the thread starting(original) post.

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
BhupinderSingh said:
My combined rankings

Alltime:

West Indies
Australia
Pakistan
South Africa
India
England
Sri Lanka
New Zealand

Current:

Australia
India
Pakistan
South Africa
Sri Lanka
England
New Zealand
West Indies

* These ratings are based on batting strength only,as it what demanded in the thread starting(original) post.
And you call turbinators rankings a joke..you rate England higher than West Indies....right.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would`ve thought Dave Mohammed would lift Windies to somewhere near the top.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ranking the West Indies that high is a bit farcical, sure they have a far superior batting lineup on paper with Gayle, Sarwan, Chanerpaul and Lara but it's not very often they fire, especially since we are putting Test's and ODI's together. Each to his own I guess.

andmark

International Captain
BhupinderSingh said:
My combined rankings

Alltime:

West Indies
Australia
Pakistan
South Africa
India
England
Sri Lanka
New Zealand

Current:

Australia
India
Pakistan
South Africa
Sri Lanka
England
West Indies
New Zealand

You have got New Zealand at the bottom.Your rankings are a joke.:laugh:

Heres mine Australia
England
India
Pakistan
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
West Indies
South Africa

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
andmark said:
BhupinderSingh said:
My combined rankings

Alltime:

West Indies
Australia
Pakistan
South Africa
India
England
Sri Lanka
New Zealand

Current:

Australia
India
Pakistan
South Africa
Sri Lanka
England
West Indies
New Zealand

You have got New Zealand at the bottom.Your rankings are a joke.:laugh:

Heres mine Australia
England
India
Pakistan
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
West Indies
South Africa
England at #2!?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The entire concept of this thread is daft. You can't "combine" rankings across the two forms of the game, when sides like England and the West Indies are very good in one form and hopeless in another.

And the idea that India, South Africa and Pakistan are better across all-time than England is insane. England were the best team in the world for long periods, even as recently as the 50s and 60s. None of those three teams have ever been the best in the world for any sort of extended period.

oz_fan

International Regular
Just for tests:
Current:
Australia
India
Pakistan
England
West Indies
Sri Lanka
South Africa
New Zealand

All Time:
West Indies
Australia
England
India
SA
Pakistan
SL
NZ

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FaaipDeOiad said:
The entire concept of this thread is daft. You can't "combine" rankings across the two forms of the game, when sides like England and the West Indies are very good in one form and hopeless in another.

And the idea that India, South Africa and Pakistan are better across all-time than England is insane. England were the best team in the world for long periods, even as recently as the 50s and 60s. None of those three teams have ever been the best in the world for any sort of extended period.
Completely agree, my pommy brother.

All time:

1. Australia
  2. West Indies
  3. England
  4. Pakistan
  5. South Africa
  6. India
  7. New Zealand
  8. Sri Lanka

This list is only deals with proper cricket.

Current List:
  1. Australia
  2. England
  3. Pakistan (maybe not after Asif/Akhtar, but we'll see)
  4. India
  5. South Africa
  6. Sri Lanka
  7. New Zealand
  8. West Indies

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
oz_fan said:
Just for tests:

All Time:
West Indies
Australia
England
India
SA
Pakistan
SL
NZ
India have no pace bowling. Ranking them ahead of SA and Pakistan in an all time team is ludicrous IMO.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
My ranking of the batting line-ups is: 1, Australia 2. India 3.Sri Lanka 4. South Africa 5.Pakistan 6. England(we're crap at ODI batting and don't score Test 200s) 7. West Indies(on talent should be higher but underachieve in Tests too often) 8. New Zealand.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Batting line ups only for combined test/ODI, but probably biased towards Tests:

1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. India
4. Pakistan
5. England
6. WI
7. Sri Lanka
8. New Zealand

For bowling it would be:
1. Australia
2. England
3. South Africa
4. Pakistan (now that Akhtar and Asif are out, prev they would be #2 or 3)
5. SL
6. WI
7. NZ (assuming Bond is fit)
8. India

SA

Banned
People are ranking teams on basis of oveall strength in batting & owling but Turbinator asked in his original post to rank the teams on their battings strengths only.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Bowling line-up rankings: 1. Australia 2. Englamd 3.SA 4. SL 5.India 6.Pakistan (because of no Shoaib/Asif) 7.NZ 8.WI

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Some of these rankings are funny.
I dont have time to do them all as Im going out but here are a couple of comparative stats for Eng and WI since 01/01/2003 (chosen as it gives a good sample size but still recent enough for games to be relevant now).

West Indies
Team Batting Average 31.3
Team Bowling Average 42.3
Difference between batting and bowling average -11
% Innings dimissed less than 200 22%
% Innings dismiss opposition less than 200 9%
Difference of bowling opp out compared to being bowled out <200 -13%

England
Team Batting Average 37.6
Team Bowling Average 31.5
Difference between batting and bowling average +6.1
% Innings dimissed less than 200 14%
% Innings dismiss opposition less than 200 20%
Difference of bowling opp out compared to being bowled out <200 +6%

It is not possible to put WI ahead of Eng in either batting or bowling in Tests. ODIs may be another story but WI are miles behind in both areas in tests. Moral of the story must be that big names and fancy shots dont win tests but they do garner attention (maybe a little harsh but it seems that way reading some of the lists).

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Some of these rankings are funny.
I dont have time to do them all as Im going out but here are a couple of comparative stats for Eng and WI since 01/01/2003 (chosen as it gives a good sample size but still recent enough for games to be relevant now).

West Indies
Team Batting Average 31.3
Team Bowling Average 42.3
Difference between batting and bowling average -11
% Innings dimissed less than 200 22%
% Innings dismiss opposition less than 200 9%
Difference of bowling opp out compared to being bowled out <200 -13%

England
Team Batting Average 37.6
Team Bowling Average 31.5
Difference between batting and bowling average +6.1
% Innings dimissed less than 200 14%
% Innings dismiss opposition less than 200 20%
Difference of bowling opp out compared to being bowled out <200 +6%

It is not possible to put WI ahead of Eng in either batting or bowling in Tests. ODIs may be another story but WI are miles behind in both areas in tests. Moral of the story must be that big names and fancy shots dont win tests but they do garner attention (maybe a little harsh but it seems that way reading some of the lists).
My list is perfect. :). There is no way England are anything but #2, maybe #3 but thats a stretch.