• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank The Teams (In Terms of Batting)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Matt79 said:
Happy for any suggestions for a sixth bat - normally I have Kapil Dev at 6, but if batting strength alone is the criteria, I'm sure there are better options. Azharuddin?
Wrong question to ask SS ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Matt79 said:
Happy for any suggestions for a sixth bat - normally I have Kapil Dev at 6, but if batting strength alone is the criteria, I'm sure there are better options.
Kapil isn't close in batting alone.

I would probably go with Azhar at home if he wasn't such a rat bastard match fixing disgraceful traitor whore, but not sure who away. Also Syed Kirmani might make a push for the wicketkeeper.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
All time:
1) Australia (Ponsford, Trumper, Bradman, Chappell, Border, S.Waugh/Harvey, Gilchrist)
2) Eng (Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond, Grace, Barrington, Compton, Ames)
3) WI (Greenidge, Fredricks, Headley, Richards, Weekes, Sobers, Walcott)
4) Ind (Merchant, Gavaskar, Dravid, Tendaulkar, Hazare, Ganguly(?), Engineer)
5) SA (Taylor, Richards, Nourse, Pollock, Kallis, Mitchell, Boucher)
6) Pak (Hanif Mohammad, Anwar, Abbas, Miandad, Ul Haq, Mohammad Yousuf, Bari?)
7) NZ
8) SL
9) Zim
10) Bang.
I'd go for:

Australia: Hayden, Morris/Trumper, Bradman, Ponting/Border, Chappell, Waugh, Gilchrist.
England: Hobbs, Hutton, Compton, Hammond, Barrington, Grace, Ames
Windies: Greenidge, Hunte, Richards, Headley, Lara, Sobers, Walcott/Dujon
India: Merchant/Sehwag, Gavaskar, Dravid, Tendulkar, Hazare, Azharuddin, Engineer
SA: Barlow, Richards/Kirsten, Nourse, Pollock, Kallis, Mitchell, Lindsay
Pakistan: Hanif Mohammad, Anwar, Abbas, Miandad, Ul-Haq, Yousuf, Akmal
NZ: Sutcliffe, Richardson, Turner, Fleming, Crowe, Jones, Smith
SL: Jayasuria, Atapattu, Jayawardene, De Silva, Tillekaratne, Dias/Ranatunga, Sangakkara

I'm a bit hesistant to pick part-time keepers like Walcott to keep, as it seems like a bit of a cop-out, so Dujon is probalby the fair choice. Merchant vs Sehwag and Richards vs Kirsten depends on whether or not you require a lengthy test career as a key point of judgement or not. Ponting and Border is a close call for Australia, mainly because I think Ponting will get the nod once his career is finished, but right now Border is ahead. The Sri Lankan team is a bit makeshift because I know nothing about the Sri Lankan players before about 1995 or so. Haven't seen any of them bat and havne't read much, so it's just guesswork and stats, really. The rest of them I'm pretty confident in, though.

Obviously many key top 7 players in actual all-time XIs aren't there, like Kapil, Imran, Botham, Miller etc, since this is just about batting.

Matt79

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd go for:

Australia: Hayden, Morris/Trumper, Bradman, Ponting/Border, Chappell, Waugh, Gilchrist.
England: Hobbs, Hutton, Compton, Hammond, Barrington, Grace, Ames
Windies: Greenidge, Hunte, Richards, Headley, Lara, Sobers, Walcott/Dujon
India: Merchant/Sehwag, Gavaskar, Dravid, Tendulkar, Hazare, Azharuddin, Engineer
SA: Barlow, Richards/Kirsten, Nourse, Pollock, Kallis, Mitchell, Lindsay
Pakistan: Hanif Mohammad, Anwar, Abbas, Miandad, Ul-Haq, Yousuf, Akmal
NZ: Sutcliffe, Richardson, Turner, Fleming, Crowe, Jones, Smith
SL: Jayasuria, Atapattu, Jayawardene, De Silva, Tillekaratne, Dias/Ranatunga, Sangakkara

I'm a bit hesistant to pick part-time keepers like Walcott to keep, as it seems like a bit of a cop-out, so Dujon is probalby the fair choice. Merchant vs Sehwag and Richards vs Kirsten depends on whether or not you require a lengthy test career as a key point of judgement or not. Ponting and Border is a close call for Australia, mainly because I think Ponting will get the nod once his career is finished, but right now Border is ahead. The Sri Lankan team is a bit makeshift because I know nothing about the Sri Lankan players before about 1995 or so. Haven't seen any of them bat and havne't read much, so it's just guesswork and stats, really. The rest of them I'm pretty confident in, though.

Obviously many key top 7 players in actual all-time XIs aren't there, like Kapil, Imran, Botham, Miller etc, since this is just about batting.
i know what you mean about part-timers for keepers, but I think Walcott, having come into the team as the keeper, and having a third of his tests as a keeper, is a justifiable choice. It should be pointed out that in assessing the teams strengths, given I penned him in as keeper, I was judging Walcott on his record as a batsmen/keeper, where he averaged in the low 40s, rather than his overall average in the 50s.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
So which keeper will you go with for Pakistan. I was just comparing Akmal and Imtiaz, and having a helluva time separating the two.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I'm thinking Imtiaz, he was somewhat of a wasted talent down the order, and he did play on some tough pitches. His 209 while batting with the tail nabs it for me.