• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammed Yousuf/Yousuf Youhana

shortpitched713

International Captain
I doubt that Yousef will break any sort of record of that nature, simply because Pakistan don't play as many Tests as other nations. He's already got the record for most runs in a calendar year by a Pakistani though, and this year probably ranks up their among the best by a subcontinental batsman though.

FRAZ

International Captain
Dasa said:
Viv Richards in 1976 with 1710 runs at an average of 90 with seven 100s.
LOL Only two double centuries needed . , Anyways ! Wish him best of luck !!

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he scores 100 in every innings he plays, assuming Pakistan have to bat 4 more times this year then he has it.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
shortpitched713 said:
Problem is, you're not supposed to look at the rankings that way. A player's ranking at any particular time, gives an indication of his form over a decent period of time. So the top 20 rankings of all time don't give a measure of how good batsman X was, it shows the highest peak in form that batsman X has ever had. Since Tendulkar has been more reknowned throughout his career for his consistency, rather than his brilliance over a short period of time, its naturally going to underrate him. Lara's rating is a little harder to understan, but I think it can be attributed to the fact that his brilliant performances have been pretty spread out over a long period of time. Plus, he'll often make big scores after extended lean patches, so when he's in form he has to make up for the lower rating he had before.

If anything, Yousef's current rating just shows how excellent of touch he's in right now. It doesn't necessarily mean he's a great, after all Vaughan had a great run of form too earlier in his career, but you can't say his career has marked him out to be a great.
Top post mate.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
shortpitched713 said:
I doubt that Yousef will break any sort of record of that nature, simply because Pakistan don't play as many Tests as other nations. He's already got the record for most runs in a calendar year by a Pakistani though, and this year probably ranks up their among the best by a subcontinental batsman though.
I'd say this calendar year, he is the best. Just my opinion.

moyodrives

Cricket Spectator
I think Yousuf will have a very good series in South Africa. The reason for that is he technically a better player now than he was before, and has the ability to get big socres if he gets a start. He made his test debut against the Saffers, and didn't have a great time, but i'm sure he'll be looking forward to setting his record straight against them.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Dasa said:
Viv Richards in 1976 with 1710 runs at an average of 90 with seven 100s. Yousuf would need 396 runs from the next two Tests against the Windies to get the record. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Given his appetite for huge scores, not too farfetched.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A weird thing I noticed with the rankings just now.

Ricky Ponting is ranked 1st among batsmen and Shane Warne is 3rd among bowlers. Jason Gillespie has no ranking in either discipline.

All three of these players played their last test match on the same date, and Gillespie scored a double century in it. Anyone understand why this is the case (Gillespie's non-ranking)? I thought a player was only removed from the rankings after an extended absence from the side, but Gillespie appeared in both of Australia's last two tests. Nathan Bracken on the other hand, who hasn't appeared in any of the last 7 Australian tests, is ranked 55th among test bowlers.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Have you checked the Top 100?
Yeah, and his personal player page, which says "no current ranking".

edit: Incidentally, Michael Kasprowicz has the same non-ranking issue, and he has only missed two tests after appearing in the South Africa series.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Hmm. Last I checked Gillespie was some where around the top 20 in the Test bowling rankings. :huh:

Edit: Maybe they think he has retired?

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The ICC rankings are pretty crap guys, they are alright for a bit of a guideline but these issues just make it all the more complicated.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Perm said:
The ICC rankings are pretty crap guys, they are alright for a bit of a guideline but these issues just make it all the more complicated.
I've found that they're as good of a predictor of future performance as any.

Kinda strange that they're acting up like this though.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Perm said:
I think they're the most accurate reflection of a players ranking around.

Matt79

Global Moderator
He's been certainly the best performed batsman in the last eight or nine months. His conversion would appear to have assisted him in achieving the focus that he needed to realise his potential - a bit like Ponting getting married or Steve Waugh getting dropped from the team...

The test of his greatness will be whether he can, having achieved this level, maintain it for an extended period, or whether it will be, at the end of his career, a bit of a flash in the pan. I wouldn't quite call him a great yet, but he's put himself in the position, and appears to have all the tools, to achieve that status.