• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC ranks Hair second best

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
95% accuracy, pretty good

Most peoples posts will still be the same from all other darryl hair related topics so nothing new to read really.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking about starting a thread about this myself. Interesting that it's gone under the radar somewhat.

It really shows that the ICC didn't have any particular problem with Hair's umpiring, he was merely an unpopular figure. 95% accuracy is phenomenal with all the pressures of test cricket, and certainly it's difficult to claim that he wasn't a very good umpire, especially with the likes of Bucknor around. Not the most likable guy, but good at his job.

pasag

RTDAS
BhupinderSingh said:
No,It shows how racist sporting body ICC is.Aleem Dar & Docrove have been much better than Hair in recent times but have been ignored for not being whites.
I'm pretty sure noone takes your posts seriously.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BhupinderSingh said:
No,It shows how racist sporting body ICC is.Aleem Dar & Docrove have been much better than Hair in recent times but have been ignored for not being whites.
Good point.

Don't worry, I've reported Pasag's post. He's obviously racist.

PY

International Coach
BhupinderSingh said:
Belt up with the racism call, everyone is getting fed up with it at every turn.

And while you're at it, read "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"

The Murali issue,Oval controversy,his habit of giving "bad" decisions against asian teams,the way he handles the asians etc are enough to prove him a racist.

Slow Love™

International Captain
The executive branch of the ICC have made it obvious throughout this whole affair that Hair has their support. It's the fact that 7 member countries voted him off the panel that caused all the furore. I wouldn't mind clarification on whether NZ and Eng abstained, as was reported in some papers, rather than voting in his favor - which would mean that only Australia voted for his retention. And whatever you think of that decision, it's clear that Hair was not removed on the basis of poor LBW or caught behind calls.

I noticed in the first few lines that the phrase "the mandarins of Dubai" was used, and sure enough, this is Robert Craddock. who also wrote about the "Chilling Rule of Asian Overlords" on this issue a week or two ago. I personally would be cautious initially about the claims Craddock makes, as I have frequently felt he is a personal friend of Hair's, but in any case, if he has the report, he should produce it, or at least, the relevant excerpts that explain what he's referring to.

Either way, I do believe the executive branch to be completely incompetent, so it wouldn't amaze me to see such an assertion being made when it comes to the glowing praise - even most of his defenders at this forum seem not to rate his umpiring ability particularly highly or his affinity for common sense for that matter.

Fusion

Global Moderator
social said:
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/267653.html

Just goes to show what a joke the whole situation was
I'm beginning to sense that you're a bit obsessed with Hair. You're not about to let this subject go are you?

Being accurate is an essential ingredient to being a good umpire. However, it's not the only ingredient. Common sense is another. Also, there are traits that an umpire shouldn't possess. Grandstanding and wanting to be the center of attention would be high on the no-no list. Hair may have been accurate, but he did not have all the ingredients needed to be a good umpire. That's why he was let go. And no matter what your wish Social, he's not coming back. Good riddance IMO.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
An important point is, is that hair was actually a very good umpire as far as desicion-making went. I would only rate Taufel above him.

R_D

International Debutant
Fusion said:
I'm beginning to sense that you're a bit obsessed with Hair. You're not about to let this subject go are you?

Being accurate is an essential ingredient to being a good umpire. However, it's not the only ingredient. Common sense is another. Also, there are traits that an umpire shouldn't possess. Grandstanding and wanting to be the center of attention would be high on the no-no list. Hair may have been accurate, but he did not have all the ingredients needed to be a good umpire. That's why he was let go. And no matter what your wish Social, he's not coming back. Good riddance IMO.
I think Social knows Hair or something... i remember him saying something along the line a while ago in Murali and Warne thread. So you can understand the guy.

I'd like to know the validity of whats being claimed... 95% accuracy hahaha what a joke.
Baring maybe Tauffle i doubt any umpire has accuracy rate of anywhere close to 90%.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BhupinderSingh said:
The Murali issue,Oval controversy,his habit of giving "bad" decisions against asian teams,the way he handles the asians etc are enough to prove him a racist.
Am i allowed to throw the 'bias' card around willynilly here?