• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC ranks Hair second best

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
I never said it was any better. However, I find it very amusing that so many people just can't take that Asia actually has some power now. It's as if these people are saying - it was alright when we were powerful, but god forbid they become powerful.
That's a pretty strange assumption to make. What makes you so sure they aren't saying that it's better when the interests of one particular region in the cricket world aren't placed ahead of all the others? Certainly, that should be the concern of all reasonable cricket fans, just as it should have been when the MCC held all the cards.

Incidentally, I think you're mis-using "we" here, unless you're simply referring to white people or something. I can't see how the New South Wales Umpires Association were ever particularly powerful. It was England who ruled international cricket, not Australia, and given the rocky history in cricket relations between the two nations that wasn't always the ideal situation for Australia either.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dasa said:
I never said it was any better. However, I find it very amusing that so many people just can't take that Asia actually has some power now. It's as if these people are saying - it was alright when we were powerful, but god forbid they become powerful.
I don't think it's a problem they have a bit of power in the ICC, I think some people have a problem with how they seem to be wielding it though.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's a pretty strange assumption to make. What makes you so sure they aren't saying that it's better when the interests of one particular region in the cricket world aren't placed ahead of all the others? Certainly, that should be the concern of all reasonable cricket fans, just as it should have been when the MCC held all the cards.
Come on now, you're being deliberately obtuse. Was there ever such a chorus of comments from the mainstream press when the old guard was in charge that it was a bad thing? Did anyone ever speak up for those disadvantaged? It's only being seen as a problem now because Asia has the power. In the eyes of many people it wasn't a problem when the old power base was in charge. It's not a stretch to say that in the overwhelmingly conservative world of cricket, there are many people who have a problem with the power being with Asia specifically, rather than having a problem with the power being concentrated in one region.

Actually, I'd also like to see exactly how the interests of "one particular region in the cricket world" are actually being placed ahead of all the others.

FaaipDeOiad said:
Incidentally, I think you're mis-using "we" here, unless you're simply referring to white people or something. I can't see how the New South Wales Umpires Association were ever particularly powerful. It was England who ruled international cricket, not Australia, and given the rocky history in cricket relations between the two nations that wasn't always the ideal situation for Australia either.
It wasn't a comment specifically on the New South Wales Umpires Association. However, it wasn't just England who ruled international cricket. There was a clear hierarchy where the 'white' nations were on top, and everyone else would have to obey the masters.
At any rate, the comment was aimed more at those journalists (Marshallsea, Craddock, Berry and I'm sure there are others) who are talking up the implications of an Asian takeover and how bad it is for the game - despite no-one speaking up when the roles were reversed. Talk such as this tends to come from England and Australia.

Son Of Coco said:
I don't think it's a problem they have a bit of power in the ICC, I think some people have a problem with how they seem to be wielding it though.
Although some people may have a problem with it, I disagree that they're wielding their power negatively.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
social said:
Nope

Under current rules, doesnt doesnt have to witness players do any such thing nor does it need to be caught on video

Judgement call as to changing conditions of ball, pure and simple

As for career altering, still havent addressed Atherton situation - caught on tape, left lighter in pocket, zero effect on career

Contrast that to a situation where a batsman is fighting for his spot.

Umpire suspects ball tampering but in light of recent events, stays mum.

Ball suddenly starts hooping around (and it does happen that quickly), batsman is dismissed and career subsequently terminated

Career altering enough for you
so, the current rule states that the bowling team have to have done nothing wrong and can still get penalized for it and they should just keep mum and take it.

And you are saying that at his age, Hair is not even that bright that he CANNOT see that this rule is essentially unfair? This is exactly the lack of common sense that I have always been pointing out about Hair.