• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slightly confused....

tadeusz

State 12th Man
I'm following the Kenya v Bermuda ODI on cricinfo's live scores and noticed Bermuda received 6 wides from one delivery. How would this happen? The only way I can think of is if it a wide hit the helmet behind the keeper for 5 penalties plus 1 for the wide?

R_D

International Debutant
tadeusz said:
I'm following the Kenya v Bermuda ODI on cricinfo's live scores and noticed Bermuda received 6 wides from one delivery. How would this happen? The only way I can think of is if it a wide hit the helmet behind the keeper for 5 penalties plus 1 for the wide?
more likely there's a typo from crickinfo commentary team.... they do that quite often.

Dravid

International Captain
A wide ball, keeper misses it, they run one. Who ever gets the ball overthrows it and it goes for 4.

R_D

International Debutant
Dravid said:
A wide ball, keeper misses it, they run one. Who ever gets the ball overthrows it and it goes for 4.
but that wouldn't be 6 wides thou would it ?
1 wide plus byes ?

When there's a wide and you run thorugh.. its not considered 2 wides is it ... i thought it was 1 wide and a bye ?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
R_D said:
but that wouldn't be 6 wides thou would it ?
1 wide plus byes ?

When there's a wide and you run thorugh.. its not considered 2 wides is it ... i thought it was 1 wide and a bye ?
Nah, it's considered two wides. Simple reason is that a "bye" is recorded as a keeper error. I believe it also doesn't count towards the bowlers figures, in the same way as a leg bye. ie: an over with nothing but a bye/leg bye is still considered a maiden.

In the case of a wide, it's bowler error. If you bowl it 3 feet wide of leg stump and it goes for 4, it's five wides, not one wide and four byes. So presumably one wide and then another five all run or from a boundary overthrow or whatever would be six wides.

There's one scoring issue I've wondered about for a while along a similar lines though. If you run a single, a fielder takes a throw at the stumps and it goes for a boundary it counts as five runs. Yet if you hit it to a fielder, take a single while it is on the way and then they either misfield it into the rope or even kick it there deliberately it only counts as 4. Why don't you get the extra run you ran beforehand, as well as the boundary? The only justification I can think of is that the fielder is "in control" of the ball prior to the throw that goes to the fence, but this could be true in the delibetate boundary to stop five runs or whatever, and play isn't dead anyway as the batsmen are still running.

Bit of a ramble, but it never made any sense to me. :p

Dravid

International Captain
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in order for it to count as an overthrow doesn't it have to go on the other side of the field of the fielder. Example, if the ball is on the off side then it must go on the leg side for it to be considered overthrow. If you are above the keeper, it must go past the keeper to count as a overthrow. Thats what I always thought.

R_D

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
There's one scoring issue I've wondered about for a while along a similar lines though. If you run a single, a fielder takes a throw at the stumps and it goes for a boundary it counts as five runs. Yet if you hit it to a fielder, take a single while it is on the way and then they either misfield it into the rope or even kick it there deliberately it only counts as 4. . :p
Cheers.. i wasn't sure about that rule.

has anyone actually done that ? I haven't seen it done in any International matches
I've seen that happen in Movie thou . " Lagaan " :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in order for it to count as an overthrow doesn't it have to go on the other side of the field of the fielder. Example, if the ball is on the off side then it must go on the leg side for it to be considered overthrow. If you are above the keeper, it must go past the keeper to count as a overthrow. Thats what I always thought.
That may very well be the case, but I've never read that particular rule.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
R_D said:
Cheers.. i wasn't sure about that rule.

has anyone actually done that ? I haven't seen it done in any International matches
I've seen that happen in Movie thou . " Lagaan " :p
I'm fairly certain I remember it happening at the Adelaide Oval once when I was a kid. Adelaide has massive boundaries in certain places, and there were no ropes then of course, and it wasn't all that uncommon for a batsman to run four or sometimes even five in a test match when they hit it into an open area of the field but it didn't make the fence. I seem to remember a fielder "accidentally" knocking the ball into the fence to prevent a fifth run. Couldn't tell you who it was though.