• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Senior and Junior 'A' Teams (yet another XI thread)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yesterday, the Prime Ministers XI was made of up and coming young players in Australia. You could argue that it was more or less an 'A' team. While the 'A' team has always been used to trial up and comers, most of the time they've had experienced FC cricketers who may have had a few international matches.

So, who do you think would be in your countries two 'A' teams? One being full of up and comers, the other with players with little chance of being called up but have a superb FC record and at were one time in contention for a test or ODI spot.

I'll start with a senior Australian 'A' team.

1. M Elliot
2. J Maher (c)
3. G Blewett
4. M Love
5. D Lehmann
6. B Hodge (?)
7. B Haddin (wk)
8. A Bichel
9. M Nicholson
10. S Harwood
11. M Lewis

12th: M Bevan

Haddin in as the wicket keeper as the other Aussie teams have pretty young keepers now, and Ryan Campbell has retired...

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
NZTailender said:
Yesterday, the Prime Ministers XI was made of up and coming young players in Australia. You could argue that it was more or less an 'A' team. While the 'A' team has always been used to trial up and comers, most of the time they've had experienced FC cricketers who may have had a few international matches.

So, who do you think would be in your countries two 'A' teams? One being full of up and comers, the other with players with little chance of being called up but have a superb FC record and at were one time in contention for a test or ODI spot.

1. M Elliot
2. J Maher (c)
3. G Blewett
4. M Love
5. D Lehmann
6. B Hodge (?)
7. B Haddin (wk)
8. A Bichel
9. M Nicholson
10. S Harwood
11. M Lewis

Haddin in as the wicket keeper as the other Aussie teams have pretty young keepers now, and Ryan Campbell has retired...
Missy Elliott?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
England senior A (a bit hard to pick players who have not been in the Test squad much, but as you have Lehmann in the Oz side, fair enough)

MA Butcher
MB Loye
MR Ramprakash :ph34r: :laugh:
GA Hick
JP Crawley
*CJ Adams
+LD Sutton
MA Ealham
G Chapple
JD Lewry
J Lewis

12th Man: AD Brown (has a better FC record than Adams, but Adams gets in on captaincy, experience, form, and the fact he doesn't play half his games at a flat Lord's)

England junior A:

NRD Compton
RS Bopara
EC Joyce
APR Gidman
IJL Trott
+SM Davies
AGR Loudon
R Clarke
SCJ Broad
LE Plunkett
CT Tremlett

12th Man: G Onions

The youngsters would get creamed.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:

1. M Elliot
2. J Maher (c)
3. G Blewett
4. M Love
5. D Lehmann
6. B Hodge (?)
7. B Haddin (wk)
8. A Bichel
9. M Nicholson
10. S Harwood
11. M Lewis

Solid side. Maybe a Brad Hogg or something instead of Mick though, given that he's out of the test side calculations but has played there before. I'd also pick Bevan ahead of Love, as Love isn't playing for Queensland any more. There's also Jason Gillespie, who would have been in the PM's XI were it not for injury, but is certainly on the senior side of the Australia A calculations. I'd probably have him there instead of Nicholson.

The "young" A side for Australia would be basically the PM's XI, though you could throw in either Johnson or Watson as they haven't really established themselves yet and were in the actual A side the last time it was picked.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
England senior A (a bit hard to pick players who have not been in the Test squad much, but as you have Lehmann in the Oz side, fair enough)

MA Butcher
MB Loye
MR Ramprakash :ph34r: :laugh:
GA Hick
JP Crawley
*CJ Adams
+LD Sutton
MA Ealham
G Chapple
JD Lewry
J Lewis

12th Man: AD Brown (has a better FC record than Adams, but Adams gets in on captaincy, experience, form, and the fact he doesn't play half his games at a flat Lord's)
Neither does Brown, but the Oval is just as flat.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
over 2500 runs at 60 in the last 2 years disagrees, Adams was a better batsman in the past but Mcgrath is better now, plus his dibbly dobblers come in handy

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
England junior A:

NRD Compton
RS Bopara
EC Joyce
APR Gidman
IJL Trott
+SM Davies
AGR Loudon
R Clarke
SCJ Broad
LE Plunkett
CT Tremlett
Just noticed him. Wouldn't call 28 "junior"

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
steds said:
Just noticed him. Wouldn't call 28 "junior"
I suppose he still just about borders on 'junior' when it is based on experience. He's only really come through the ranks in the last three or four years.

adharcric

International Coach
So where would someone like Gautam Gambhir fall? He's been there for a long time, but he's only 26 and still a contender. Very experienced though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
adharcric said:
So where would someone like Gautam Gambhir fall? He's been there for a long time, but he's only 26 and still a contender. Very experienced though.
I think the distinction implied by the thread starter is "breaking in" vs "breaking out". So Gambhir would be in the junior team.

adharcric

International Coach
India Junior A Team
R Uthappa
G Gambhir
S Raina
V Rao*
S Badrinath
D Karthik+
J Sharma
R Powar
P Chawla
VRV Singh
RP Singh
12th Man: S Dhawan

India Senior A Team
D Jadhav
S Sriram
D Mongia
S Ganguly
A Muzumdar
H Badani
P Dharmani+
JP Yadav
M Kartik
A Bhandari
A Nehra
12th Man: J Martin

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
You do such a thnig for India and pick an Indian main team, and you'll end up with teams for the Challenger Trophy!!!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Using the original Indian ODI squad for SA (with Yuvraj for Jaffer) as a reference, here are my selections:

India A (Reserve)
  • Jadhav
  • Gambhir
  • VVS Laxman (C)
  • Mithun Manhas
  • Amol Mazumdar
  • JP Yadav (RM)
  • Joginder Sharma (RMF)
  • Powar (OB)
  • Ratra (WK)
  • Mishra (LBG)
  • Gagandeep (RMF)
  • RESERVES: Jaffer, Yashpal Singh, RP Singh (LMF), Kulkarni (SLA), Bangar (RMF)

India A (Development)
  • Uthappa
  • Dhawan
  • Rohit Sharma
  • Venugopal
  • Vinit Indulkar
  • Dinesh Karthik (WK)
  • Piyush Chawla (LBG)
  • Pravin Kumar (RM)
  • Shahbaz Nadeem (OB)
  • VRV Singh (RMF)
  • Ishant Sharma (RMF)
  • RESERVES: Ravindra Jadeja (SLA), Abid Nabi (RMF), Cheteshwar Pujara, Ravikant Shukla