• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ultimate number "2"of 2007 (Performances in the ODIs and the tests)

Ultimate number "2" !!!

• Total voters

FRAZ

International Captain
I made a thread " Are the other teams catching up to the Aussies or what?" in 2004 I guess .And realistic people did not claim the supremacy of Australia for the next few years or so (including me) It's like 3 years now since that thread and nothing new happened other than one odd Ashes blunder which was due to mis-planning of Aussies plus Simon Jones and The great form of Andrew Flintoff !
England : Load of rubbish in the selection and some un-fortunate incidents which broke the tempo of the team .I guess they might end up being the 6th best test side and the 7th best ODI side for the year 2007 . (Fraz Point system : Tests =20 &ODIs = 6 Grand total = 26).
India: I always had a good eye on India but once again no offense meant but still some of my respectable seniors doubt that Pace is needed and they keep on saying that pace is rubbish (Based on Shoaib Akhtar) and this and that and prove by some pre-historic examples . And I cannot argue much against this issue . IMHO they might end up being the 3rd best Test side and the 6th best ODI side of the year. ( Point system Tests = 40 Odi = 9 ,Grand total = 49)
Pakistan : IMHO is not going to be number two . The biggest achievement by Pakistan was to win away against Srilanka and it was the only thing which only Australia would have done IMHO .But it was again the fire-power of Asif which turned the tables around.And as far as the last away English series is concerned then it is noted in the history over here that I posted a post in a thread named "Best Umpires" saying that I reject the outcome of the series (I saw some one ) . I guess they might end up being the 4th best test side and 3rd best ODI side overall ! ( point system Test = 32 , ODI = 20 Grand total =52)
Srilanka : They would have been my choice but I hate their experimentation. although they have all the fire power and the ingredients but as a unit they are not gearing up as much as they should have .I hate their coach tbvh ! They might end up 5th in the tests and 8th in the ODIs . ( Point system Test =25 ODI = 3 Grand total =28)
Newzealand : they will always be Dark Horses . they have a Hadlee in shape of Bond (If Available) .No offense meant but they will be Mr 60% IMHO .They might end up being 7th in the tests and amazingly 2nd in the Odis. ( point system : Tests = 15 + ODIs = 25 Grand total = 40 )
South Africa : They may struggle in the ODIs to be the 2nd best but they might end up the 5th best ODI team and overall 2nd best in the tests, Hence they might end up being the 2nd best team of 2007 overall . ( point system Tests = 50 + Odis = 12 Grand total = 62) .. South Africa = ultimate number two of 2007 .
Windies: 4th best in the ODIS and 8th best in the tests so ( point system Tests = 10 + ODis 16 Grand total = 26) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So on the basis of both the ODI and the Test performances which team might prove itself to be the ultimate cricketing number "2" of 2007???

*Point system description (Tests) : finished 8th = pts (10) , 7th = 15 (Increment of 5) , 6th =20 ,5th=25 ,4th = 32 (Increment of 7) , 3rd= 40 (Increment of 8) , 2nd = 50 (Increment of 10)
Points description (Odis) : Finished 8th = 3 , 7th =6 (Increment of 3) , 6th = 9 , 5th = 12 , 4th = 16 (Increment of 4 ) , 3rd = 20 (Increment of 5) , 2nd = 25
*(The point system is correlated with the Overall ICC ranking points scored by the team in a year and it is a combination of the ODI performances and the Tests performances . The whole grand total is the ultimate result of the performance of a team in the both tests and the ODIs ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan - Due to the two bans, opening problems, Inzi getting older...I cannot imagine them being second.

India - They have the potential and talent to do so, the work ethic and killer instinct is missing. In 2007 the based on the type of opposition they will encounter, they have a very good OPPURTUNITY to be the second best team, however, will they grab that oppurtunity is up to them.

South Africa - Great team, great potential and talent. However, they haven't done much in Tests lately.

England - I have a feeling, this is the year it'll all come down for them.

West Indies - Pathetic in Tests. However, they have a very bright future in ODIs. But also remember how this team was before Lara's captaincy. And once Lara retires, they'll once again go back to being crap.

New Zealand - I really have hope for this team, and if not India, I want them to come out on top. But for that they'll really have to work hard and avoid injuries.

Sri Lanka - 3rd best side IMO. They'll do wonders in the World Cup and also make a strong foothold in Tests.

Final Verdict: I really believe it is going to be India, however, if I say so everyone will label me biased (if not already). But then again no other team looks really impressive. I mean c'mon NewZealand, WI, Sri Lanka are all kinda' mediocre. SA I believe is in the same mold as India. England, once again, they were already horrible in ODIs and that form will transfer into Tests too. Pakistan, if it wasn't for the problems mentioned above, they certainly had a chance at number 2. So overall, India and SA are the only teams who can be looked as number 2. But I'll vote for South Africa just so I don't get called bias.

Actually, no, I'll "accidently" vote for India. Can't help it, I am to patriotic and honestly believe my team can do well. I have hope for them!

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
Turbinator said:
Sri Lanka - 3rd best side IMO. They'll do wonders in the World Cup and also make a strong foothold in Tests.

Sri Lanka are in great form. They have won 10 of their last 13 ODIs, even though most of them were against minnows :laugh:

FRAZ

International Captain
Dravid said:
Sri Lanka are in great form. They have won 10 of their last 13 ODIs, even though most of them were against minnows :laugh:
Talent wise current Srilankan bunch is the best team in the world but again their combinations are not clicking up plus their planning is always a load of rubbish . This is the best chance for Srilanka to seriously challenge Aussies but I dunno wtf is goin on with them . Their coach has no proper stratregy about the game and every thing looks so paper plain , Vaas does this and Murali comes in the middle and then the proceedings carry on like every day . No new thing this coach has introduced and is damaging the team a hell lot . They are easily the best individual side after Australia but as a combo they are just in the middle of the bunch !!

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
FRAZ said:
Talent wise current Srilankan bunch is the best team in the world but again their combinations are not clicking up plus their planning is always a load of rubbish . This is the best chance for Srilanka to seriously challenge Aussies but I dunno wtf is goin on with them . Their coach has no proper stratregy about the game and every thing looks so paper plain , Vaas does this and Murali comes in the middle and then the proceedings carry on like every day . No new thing this coach has introduced and is damaging the team a hell lot . They are easily the best individual side after Australia but as a combo they are just in the middle of the bunch !!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FRAZ

International Captain
Turbinator said:
Among the above mentioned teams , yes it is .
Jayasuriya
Atapatu (When comes back)
Sangakara
Murali
Vaas
Jayawardane (These are all A clas performers and after Australia this is the only team to have so many A grade players)
Maharoof/ Arnold are not that bad either . A blend of youth and experience !
Yeah And check out what I mentioned later on "After Australia"!

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
FRAZ said:
Among the above mentioned teams , yes it is .
Jayasuriya
Atapatu (When comes back)
Sangakara
Murali
Vaas
Jayawardane (These are all A clas performers and after Australia this is the only team to have so many A grade players)
Maharoof/ Arnold are not that bad either . A blend of youth and experience !
Yeah And check out what I mentioned later on "After Australia"!
That is how you feel and I completely respect that, however, I beg to differ.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
There is no clear number 2 in the world at the moment IMO. Pakistan and India were good contenders less than a year ago. England are obviously very good but with injuries and their woeful ODI form make it hard to say that they're the clear number 2.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's too difficult to put ODI and Test rankings together so I'll do tests.

South Africa would be 2nd, followed by England and India who are reasonably even give or take the odd injury. Pakistan would be next, just ahead of Sri Lanka and then it would be New Zealand who never have enough test's to prove themselvese and the West Indies who haven't been that flash just recently.

Perm

I would disagree with saying Sri Lanka have the most "talented team" in the world at the moment. Atapattu has only just come back into the side, Jayasuriya had supposedly retired from tests. Sangakkarra and Jayawardene are all class, and Muralitharan is phenominal but Vaas is on the downside of his tests career and guys like Maharoof, Malinga and Tharanga are just establishing themselves on the international stage. Sure the team is talented, but more talent than Australia? Not a chance. If Pakistan and India didn't have such weak bowling attacks then they would be supremely more talented than Sri Lanka. West Indies fall into the same category really.

Dravid

International Captain
Last 15 Test matches for teams other than Australia....figure it out.

England: Won 6 Drawn 5 Lost 4

India: Won 6 Drawn 7 Lost 2

South Africa: Won 4 Drawn 4 Lost 7

Pakistan: Won: 6 Drawn 5 Lost 4

Sri Lanka: Won 8 Drawn 3 Lost 4

New Zealand: Won 5 Drawn 4 Lost 6

West Indies: Won 1 Drawn 5 Lost 9

Perm

I don't think using that is very reliable in deciding who is the #2 team in the world at the moment. 6 out of 15 of South Africa's last test's have been against Australia for example.

FRAZ

International Captain
SS ! try to beat my ultimate team (Combo performance ODIs + Tests) ranking system!!!!! ! Only you can do that !

FRAZ

International Captain
Perm said:
I don't think using that is very reliable in deciding who is the #2 team in the world at the moment. 6 out of 15 of South Africa's last test's have been against Australia for example.
I think that Point system of ICC is a good one . And quite a reliable one !

Last edited:

Perm

I wasn't referring to your post Fraz, I was meaning Dravid who posted each teams win and loss record over the last 15 tests.

FRAZ

International Captain
Perm said:
I wasn't referring to your post Fraz, I was meaning Dravid who posted each teams win and loss record over the last 15 tests.
Yeah you were right ! And I guess my method of combination of both the ODIs and the tests is an ok one too . Means a team being 2nd overall in the ODIs is meant to have the points equal to the team finishing 5th in the Tests !

grecian

Umm, hate to ask this, but how do England rank sixth best team in tests, Fraz?

The Ashes happen largely this year, so do you really think we'll lose to India and the West Indies at home?

FRAZ

International Captain
grecian said:
Umm, hate to ask this, but how do England rank sixth best team in tests, Fraz?

The Ashes happen largely this year, so do you really think we'll lose to India and the West Indies at home?
Hmmm India might start up as favorites in my book and have a chance against English tbh. And Windies might lose but only by a narrow margin !

grecian

India favorites, away from home:unsure:

When was the last time England lost a series at home to India, actually when was the last time we lost a series at home. I'd like to place some money on, at the Fraz bookies:)

EDIT: also if West Indies lose, who are the other 5 teams ahead of us?

FRAZ

International Captain
grecian said:
India favorites, away from home:unsure:

When was the last time England lost a series at home to India, actually when was the last time we lost a series at home. I'd like to place some money on, at the Fraz bookies:)

EDIT: also if West Indies lose, who are the other 5 teams ahead of us?
If India can make Pakistan run for their money in Pakistan where Pakistan kinda beat English then they sure can perform well and now they have a little better bowlers (Pacers) than they had earlier and also their spinners are decent plus they have some strong hitters in the middle (which are the basic ingridients to perform well in England) !!!