Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Graeme Smith warns Panesar of racist abuse

State Regular

Graeme Smith warns Panesar of racist abuse

Guess what country ?

Graeme Smith warns Panesar of racist abuse

Cricinfo staff

November 10, 2006

Graeme Smith, South Africa's captain, feels that left-arm spinner Monty Panesar will face an "unbelievable amount of abuse" - some of it racist - from the vociferous Australian crowds as England defend the Ashes over the next two months.

Speaking to The Guardian in Cape Town, Smith, whose team had suffered racial abuse from a section of the crowd when they toured Australia last year, feared for Monty, a bearded Sikh who wears a black patka.

"I was chatting to some of our team just the other day and we all shivered at the prospect of what he could be in for," Smith said. "He is going to cop an unbelievable amount of abuse. I sincerely hope for everyone's sake, but especially his, that it isn't of a racist nature, but our own experience obviously leaves us with doubts.

"Hopefully Monty can become a bit of a folk hero. I can see how that might happen. But if he is selected instead of [Ashley] Giles at the beginning of the tour then the noise levels when he comes on to bowl, or even just fields the ball at mid-on, will be close to unbearable. I dread to think of him fielding on the boundary."

Smith says the South African team coped with the abuse by tackling it head-on and reported all instances.

"It was definitely the right move as far as we are concerned," he said. "Anyone can see in sport around the world that a zero-tolerance approach to racism is being adopted and that's the only way to go. We all understood the dangers of racist copycats, but to do nothing or say nothing in the hope that it would just go away would have been as bad as condoning it."

Smith and team-mate Shaun Pollock went public with the abuse after hearing the word 'kaffir' - a racist term used against black people in southern South Africa - being constantly shouted from the stands. "It wasn't hard to see how upset and angry the players were," Smith said. "Given what South African society was, where it has come from and where it is going, nobody wanted to stand aside and let that stuff happen."

The ICC has recommended lengthy bans for spectators caught racially abusing players, but Smith doesn't believe Panesar will find much encouragement from this. "It's good if they are fined or banned, or locked up would be better," Smith said. "But it won't help Monty or any other target for their rubbish. I just hope they are seriously well prepared for the worst eventuality. Then hopefully it won't happen."

Panesar has seen a psychologist to deal with the rigours of playing in Australia, a move that Glenn McGrath described as "soft" on a radio station. When asked about McGrath's comments, Panesar wasn't moved. "I heard about that," he conceded, "but I guess that's pre-Ashes [banter]. You just accept that as part of cricket. We had a brief chat about Australia, but it was a team thing, not on an individual basis. That's how it goes with cricket - you just accept it."

Cricinfo

C_C
    He had to be 'warned' ?
    Like gee. Racist abuse...Australia...brown man...hmmm. It never happens!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    It's like warning someone that its going to be warm in Sri Lanka.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I certainly don't agree with elements of crowd behaviour over here...don't really appreciate being grouped in with them though.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    I certainly don't agree with elements of crowd behaviour over here...don't really appreciate being grouped in with them though.
    No one is calling you racist. Just saying...like if you come to watch an Eagles game in Philadelphia, expect to be abused. That doesn't mean I will do it...it just means abuse exists and be prepared for it.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    No one is calling you racist. Just saying...like if you come to watch an Eagles game in Philadelphia, expect to be abused. That doesn't mean I will do it...it just means abuse exists and be prepared for it.
    Where's Philadelphia? Hopefully someone'll come up with some decent songs this year to keep the drunken redneck element occupied.

Where's Philadelphia? Hopefully someone'll come up with some decent songs this year to keep the drunken redneck element occupied.
    America. Our football team is the Philadelphia Eagles, and we're a bit on the rough side when it comes to opposing fans. Our stadium had a court with a judge right in the basement of the stadium, and he would sentence fans right there, to avoid long legal hassles.

International Captain
    Racism warning HA, Come out of it now , We don't do that !!!!
    Just play !
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I think Panesar would be pretty naive if he didn't expect any sort of racial harrasment, most of it will just be a bit of sledging from the crowd but I think a few idiots will take it too far. Because Monty is different he is bound to get hassled. Simple as that.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Where's Philadelphia?
    Its in Canada, ain't it?
    RIP Craigos

Did't see the Oscar winning movie of Tom Hanks , then .?

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Fair warning, but it would sound a lot better if it came from someone other than Smith.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Gee, I wonder what his motivation for this 'warning' is?
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    America. Our football team is the Philadelphia Eagles, and we're a bit on the rough side when it comes to opposing fans. Our stadium had a court with a judge right in the basement of the stadium, and he would sentence fans right there, to avoid long legal hassles.
    Ah, right, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Its in Canada, ain't it?
    I thought it was in Switzerland...they're pretty good cheesemakers over that way.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information